Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:23 PM   #43

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
One additional discount I received last year. I was buying major appliances for a kitchen remodel and I found the ones I really wanted at Best Buy on sale, I told the salesman that I woul received a 10% discount on the same items at Home Depot and without hesitation he stated we price match and he gave me the additional 10% discount. Never hurts to ask.
CntryCoachRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #44

If you are an honorable discharged Vet ( no matter whether it was 3 years or 30) then you need to make an appointment and been seen at yoyr local VA. It is beneficial to get a copy of your military medical records first. ( get in touch with a service org to gerlp you )
Being seen gets you in the system. It does Not require you to use them for your medical care.
However if you have a medical issue that is remotely connected to your days on active duty it will be to your benefit to have it documented sooner rather than later. If you served in Viet Nam and have diabetes, Parkinson, prostrate cancer among other things you may be eligible for benefits.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #45

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
If you are an honorable discharged Vet ( no matter whether it was 3 years or 30) then you need to make an appointment and been seen at yoyr local VA. It is beneficial to get a copy of your military medical records first. ( get in touch with a service org to gerlp you )
Being seen gets you in the system.
My experience with the VA has been if I had almost any income or owned anything they would not give me the time of day. All I wanted was in the system for future unforeseen medical issues. I have been to the VA Hospital in Augusta GA and the VA Hospital in Columbia SC with the same results. 4 years of active duty 72-76, honorable discharge. I personally don't have time to deal with the bureaucracy involved to deal with them anymore. Other folks may have better experiences and results.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Maybe not exactly appropriate to this thread, but here goes:

I have my DD 214 from service back in the early 60's, but this was never as intense or with the consequences some of you must deal with. I don't use VA medical, and never asked for any sort of veterans ID card. Can I request one now?

Thanks
If your DD-214 shows you had 180 days of continuous active service and Honorably discharged you qualify for VA medical. The category is another matter all together.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #47

Mid Atlantic Campers
Va

I went to the local va hospital twice now to see about my benefits. Although I am a veteran of the Vietnam era I was told I made Too much to qualify for benefits. I went to the DAV and finally got the paper work started. It should not be that hard. They said it would probably take a year to get things right. It didn't take that long for them to put a loaded gun in my hands! They surely didn't ask me if I made too much money. Waiting to see what happens now. Of course I'm used to people spitting in my face because
I serve in the wrong war...
birddog2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #48

Ron's experience has been a mixed bag. However he does have his heart g aids provided and finally granted a 10% disability. Your disability has nothing to do with how much money you make.

We were able to get them to do all his teeth extractions. He didnt actually initially qualify but by pushing back gently I was able to get them to reconsider. I was able to point out that he needed a medication that could affect his jaw. The hewad of yhge Pittsburgh dental dept not only approved it, he made sure he acted as Ron's dental sugeon.
Not everything has been prefect but I'll be darned if he wont get every benefit he was warned.
If urs been awhile since you have been you may find that the older financial regs are all but gone.
Just don't wait until you can't do it for yourself and answer important questions
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:53 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Linda is correct regarding financial limitations and avalibility for Nam or older vets. Approx three plus years ago the secretary of veterans affairs was directed to remove the time limitations and much beauracratic red tape. I was of course healthy until the "golden years" but had not qualified myself in the four decades since service. There was a cut off date for Vietnam Nam vets I believe it was around 2004-2006, that has been lifted and many changes were made for us older veterans. It's good to be in the system whether you use them or not. Just might save your home or legacy for your wife or kids benefit? It took me over a year on 2011 to get the red tape out of the slow turning grist mill but I did win. Personally the VA would be my last ditch effort for health care. Maybe it's improved since 2011? I do know Shands teaching hospital at the UF FL is affiliated with the VA. It's a real great facility as I took my retired Naval Air Commander FIL there for cancer surgery. My experience was in Roanoke VA. It's was a crowed, way crowed, understaffed, dirty facility that I had to drive two plus hours as it was the closet facility. Your minimum wait was over four hours consequently I only did what was necessary to get my records on Permanent active status. Really hope the VA has improved.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
The Home Depot in Port Charlotte, Fl. is the one that won't recognize my veteran's card! I'm a Snowbird here. I have a Michigan drivers licence with veteran ID on it and a local Vet's card, both with my picture on them!
That's alright, I just go next door to Lowe's and no questions asked!

Stano
Now today I went to the Home Depot in Punta Gorda, Fl. which is just down the road from the HD Port Charlotte. They had a item that Lowes didn't have. I went to the check out and stated I was a veteran and she had my 10% discount already figured in before I could get my cards (stated above) out of my wallet! Go figure.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Linda is correct regarding financial limitations and avalibility for Nam or older vets. Approx three plus years ago the secretary of veterans affairs was directed to remove the time limitations and much beauracratic red tape. I was of course healthy until the "golden years" but had not qualified myself in the four decades since service. There was a cut off date for Vietnam Nam vets I believe it was around 2004-2006, that has been lifted and many changes were made for us older veterans. It's good to be in the system whether you use them or not. Just might save your home or legacy for your wife or kids benefit? It took me over a year on 2011 to get the red tape out of the slow turning grist mill but I did win. Personally the VA would be my last ditch effort for health care. Maybe it's improved since 2011? I do know Shands teaching hospital at the UF FL is affiliated with the VA. It's a real great facility as I took my retired Naval Air Commander FIL there for cancer surgery. My experience was in Roanoke VA. It's was a crowed, way crowed, understaffed, dirty facility that I had to drive two plus hours as it was the closet facility. Your minimum wait was over four hours consequently I only did what was necessary to get my records on Permanent active status. Really hope the VA has improved.
I had some heart issues a year ago. My out of pocket was 3k. After that I went online to the VA website and applied for health benefits. I figured that I made too much money and have insurance through work. I got a call about a week later for my first appointment. I figured they would catch the mistake then but the guy said I was good to go. Since then I have been using the VA for all my healthcare. I live near great lakes so use the Lovell facility. It nice and efficient. I can call and usually get an appointment within a week. I use the online email to ask my doctor questions and get pretty rapid responses. My son uses the VA in Madison Wi. And when he broke his leg the care he had was excellent and he like my wife is a terrible patient. I think that facilities near a military installation may be overwhelmed because of the number of people. I have no complaints. The other day my med school were messing me up a call to the nurse hot line and told to visit the er. On my way out the door the phone rang. It was the pharmacist she saw my records updated and was working late and called me to see what was wrong. Bet that never happens in the civilian world.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
I feel your correct on the locations for VA health facilities. The main issue issue not enough for the last place we lived OBX in NC. We're now in FL and I'll bet service is better. Hope so.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:26 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Wife complained that I wasn't listening to her. Well I had lost some of my hearing. Hearing Aids cost a lot. Our county has a VA Rep on staff full time and I went to her. She did all the paper work getting me into the system and then set up hearing tests with a private contractor. I was judged to have hearing loss in the range of gunfire and turbine engines. The VA tested me again and agreed.

I got my VA disability ID.

Although I did not ask for it they gave me a small disability and after some delay, I got over $6000.00 worth of hearing aids. I do not use the VA for anything else as I have pretty good ins.

See if your locality has a Rep and if they do let them lead the way for you.

The Downside: Now I hear everything she says. (Sometimes I don't wear them or turn them waaaaay down.)
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:40 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Selective hearing

Yep, I did use the reps in the beginning. In fact they came to our very rural community. However, the facility was over two hours away. I know about selective hearing.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:12 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
My Wife complained that I wasn't listening to her. Well I had lost some of my hearing. Hearing Aids cost a lot. Our county has a VA Rep on staff full time and I went to her. She did all the paper work getting me into the system and then set up hearing tests with a private contractor. I was judged to have hearing loss in the range of gunfire and turbine engines. The VA tested me again and agreed.

I got my VA disability ID.

Although I did not ask for it they gave me a small disability and after some delay, I got over $6000.00 worth of hearing aids. I do not use the VA for anything else as I have pretty good ins.

See if your locality has a Rep and if they do let them lead the way for you.

The Downside: Now I hear everything she says. (Sometimes I don't wear them or turn them waaaaay down.)
I too initially thought I was not eligible for health care through the VA. I was with my son visiting the VA hospital for him when he told me to register. At that time I was told I was in a class that was not eligible. OK no problem at least I was in the system. Then after much prodding by my wife and kids I submitted a claim for my hearing. Turns out too much time spent around guns without hearing protection causes hearing loss and tinnitus. Now I am listed as 10% disabled. After my health issue a year ago I reapplied for health care and I'm in. Now my VA doctor is telling me to apply again for additional disability for my sleep apnea.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #56

About 8 0r 9 years ago, after hooking up with some buddies I was in Nam with, and with their prodding, I went to the VA here in Phoenix. While in good health and no issues I wanted to check about agent orange. I got into the system and never used it again for about 3 - 4 years. I had an accident and went to the NA emergency room. Long story short, the emergency doctor said I needed blood thinners for a potential clot. He gave me 4 days supply and called my "primary care doctor" and left the prescription. As it was night, I called my Doctor the next morning. I was told he was on vacation and it would be several weeks before he would be back , and another 2 -3 weeks to get an appointment. The nurse did acknowledge the call from the emergency room doctor. I said all I need is the prescription, I was told well, it will be over a month since none of the other doctors can write the prescription for me. Bottom line I never went back to the VA. The attitude of the nurse of my Primary Doctor was don't give a ****.

All that being said, I do have my VA ID card with flag, no service related issues, and Home Depot will never honor it. Lowes always honors my card and discount. I prefer Lowes anyway so it's a non issue with HD for me. As far as care, we know the Phoenix VA is one of the worst in the country. It's the people, so many are just going through the motions, they could care less about actually doing something. They spend more time chatting with each other, walking around wasting time rather than taking care of patients. Like so many folks in the government, if they can't do the job in private employment they take a government job where they are not held accountable. If I were to call for appointment today, it would be several months minimum before I would get an appointment.

I'm sure other places are probably great, but Phoenix has some issues and it starts at the top and filters down. If they worked for my company, I would fire them on the spot, no one would be an improvement over them. If management doesn't hold employees accountable, than it's management's fault. Heads never roll in the VA, they get "bonus's" instead.
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote