Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Veterans ID card

VA announces rollout and application process for new
Veterans ID Card

WASHNGTON — VA has announced that the application process for the national Veterans Identification Card (VIC) is now
available for veterans — yet another action honoring their service.
This has been mandated through legislation since 2015 to honor veterans, and the rollout of the ID card fulfills that
overdue promise.
Only those veterans with honorable service will be able to apply for the ID card, which will provide proof of military
service, and may be accepted by retailers in lieu of the standard DD Form 214 to obtain promotional discounts and other
services where offered to veterans.
“The new Veterans Identification Card provides a safer and more convenient and efficient way for most veterans to show
proof of service,”
said VA secretary Dr. David J. Shulkin. “With the card, veterans with honorable service to our nation will
no longer need to carry around their paper DD-214s to obtain veteran discounts and other services.”
The VIC provides a more portable and secure alternative for those who served the minimum obligated time in service,
but did not meet the retirement or medical discharge threshold. Veterans who served in the Armed Forces, including the
reserve components, and who have a discharge of honorable or general (under honorable conditions) can request a VIC.
To request a VIC, veterans must visit vets.gov, click on “Sign In” in the top right hand corner and establish an ID.me
account. Once the veteran verifies their identity they may request to “Apply for the Veteran ID Card”.
Veterans who apply for a card should receive it within 60 days and can check delivery status of their cards at vets.gov. A
digital version of the VIC will be available online soon
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #2

Carolina Campers
I inquiry about a new va card and i was told there was no new card
danford50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #3

We have never had to show anything other than a military ID card for discounts.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbhine View Post
We have never had to show anything other than a military ID card for discounts.
In this case "Veteran" does not mean "retired" with military ID card.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #5

?????

Just a little confused I have had a veterans ID card for years pictured below, shows disability and has a photo on card that was issued at the VA outpatient centers some time ago, Use it for ID, to check in at VA hospitals or outpatient centers , at Home Depot , Lowes , Wendy`s, other stores, is this what your talking about or is this something new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VA-ID.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	196230  
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
Just a little confused I have had a veterans ID card for years pictured below, shows disability and has a photo on card that was issued at the VA outpatient centers some time ago, Use it for ID, to check in at VA hospitals or outpatient centers , at Home Depot , Lowes , Wendy`s, other stores, is this what your talking about or is this something new.
This is for those of us who served but didn't retire or who aren't currently eligible for VA health care.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
Guy does couple years in military branch of service. He gets his honorable discharge, has no VA disability rating. Is he a veteran, sure. Has his DD 214 to prove it. Does he have an ID card to prove it..No.
Well now the VA is going to issue him (has to apply) an ID card to prove his veteran status and doesn't have to carry his DD214 around. This card has NOTHING to do with VA health care.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #8

The State of Kansas will put VETERAN on your Drivers license when you renew with DD214 proof...
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Guy does couple years in military branch of service. He gets his honorable discharge, has no VA disability rating. Is he a veteran, sure. Has his DD 214 to prove it. Does he have an ID card to prove it..No.
Well now the VA is going to issue him (has to apply) an ID card to prove his veteran status and doesn't have to carry his DD214 around. This card has NOTHING to do with VA health care.
Been carrying a copy of my DD214 around since I got out of NAVY.
It is right next to my VA Medical ID Card which is right next to my VA CHOICE ID Card.
Don't think I have room in wallet for another card...or even need it.

BUT am glad to see VA finally get on-board with a 'Veteran ID Card'
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #10

Skypilot. Have you actually done this and Received a card in the mail??
What I see so far is a way to prove you are a Veteran with your cell phoe. I may have missed something.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
What I see so far is a way to prove you are a Veteran with your cell phoe. I may have missed something.
I just completed the rather cumbersome application process 10 minutes ago (I don't have the card ... just an email saying it is being processed).

Some tips:

After you complete the Dept. Of Defense process and obtain a DS Logon, you can log on to the Vets.Gov site. You can also use ID.Me on the Vets.Gov site. Once you are successfully logged on to the Vets.Gov site, scroll down until you see the link to request a Vet ID Card (known as VIC). This card replaces your DD214 as proof of Service for DISCOUNTS .... basically, that's all it does. To actually complete the application, you need an electronic image of a government ID (driver license, passport, etc.) AND an electronic personal photo (like a passport photo). You will need to upload both. You can then generate a sample card (a visual aid) that shows your photo on it. You have the ability to reload the photo if the sample card doesn't look right. When you complete the application, you will get a confirmation email. Theoretically, in 60 days, you will get your card .... we'll see.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I just completed the rather cumbersome application process 10 minutes ago (I don't have the card ... just an email saying it is being processed).

Some tips:

After you complete the Dept. Of Defense process and obtain a DS Logon, you can log on to the Vets.Gov site. You can also use ID.Me on the Vets.Gov site. Once you are successfully logged on to the Vets.Gov site, scroll down until you see the link to request a Vet ID Card (known as VIC). This card replaces your DD214 as proof of Service for DISCOUNTS .... basically, that's all it does. To actually complete the application, you need an electronic image of a government ID (driver license, passport, etc.) AND an electronic personal photo (like a passport photo). You will need to upload both. You can then generate a sample card (a visual aid) that shows your photo on it. You have the ability to reload the photo if the sample card doesn't look right. When you complete the application, you will get a confirmation email. Theoretically, in 60 days, you will get your card .... we'll see.
Yup, thats pretty much what their announcement stated. Glad you master it.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampFire Junkies View Post
The State of Kansas will put VETERAN on your Drivers license when you renew with DD214 proof...
Yes and many vets here have said the stores won't honor state driver license with vet showing.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Nope, have a blue military ID card.