Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #1

You're Not Navy Anymore

I was over at the base Pharmacy yesterday waiting to pickup what seems like an ever increasing list of drugs. Getting old ain't fun. I got into a discussion with some active duty guys several of which weren't even born yet when I retired in 1991, never even seen a set of dungarees. Well we discussed what it was like then and now and I am glad to say I am from the Old Navy when a young 2nd. Class (E5) says yea but your not Navy anymore and that sort of hit me hard. I said to him , "You Got That Right" but I carry it with me everyday of my life and will carry it to the grave, the experience that is. It's part of me now. I had to impress on those young men that the Navy is what you make it and to take advantage of what it offers. I sincerely hope I was able to talk some sense into these young folks. There seems to be very little leadership anymore or RHIP. They've done away with so many things that I thought had a good reason but then I am just a old (68) retiree. Bootcamp is a joke and the once vaulted CPO Initiation is just a social event now. Shellback and Bluenose certificates aren't earned like they once were, just sort of a walk through.
I'll get down off the old soap box but I guess they were right, Your Not Navy Anymore.
Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marines also apply.
Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #2

Those young guys don't know how wrong their thinking is, EVERY veteran, of every branch, is honored as such at their funeral. As long as their memory lives they are a veteran who served their country honorably.
If we old dogs don't seize a moment to teach the young about tradition, it will be lost.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did what I could back then the rest is up to them, end of story. I’m sure they’ll have a handle on whatever comes along and take care of it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I’m retired Army, don’t listen to them, your still Navy.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Once Navy, always Navy! Thanks for giving those young sailors some good advice.
alanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #6

I understand what you mean about how the Navy. I feel it has "softened". Im appalled that any enlisted would ever say that. Where is the respect that was part of the Navy years ago.

My son went into the Navy, he is currently deployed. I also had a kid living with us that joined the Army. The army at least still tries to toughen up the kids. I received many letters from the kid in the army describing boot camp and the hell they put them through. My sons experience was much different. Very little activities that were physically demanding.

The other thing I noticed is the deterioration of the value of the NAM. Its almost like all the kids on the team getting a trophy.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I agree, its a sad state of affairs. I still get a kick out of Navy Federal CU. They still address me as Petty Officer Grow.

Can you imagine trying to explain to some new PO 3 what Olongapo or Subic City was like.
"If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes".
paparazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #8

I spent a quarter century in the Navy. Have any of those snot nosed pups done anything for 25 years? Most haven't even been breathing that long!
Until they put in at least 20 years, they're just temporary hired help as far as I'm concerned, not REAL Navy.
Even though my Dad was only an airdale, he did earn his golden shellback!
I'm just a dumb old tin can sailor, myself, but I'm a shellback, blue nose, been through chief's initiation, and have a combat action ribbon, in addition to other jewelry. After I retired February of 2001 I went to work at the Pentagon as a civilian on staff of the CNO - yes, I was there 9/11.
You are a better man than I, Gunga Din. Those malingering no-loads would have really needed a corpsman most skoch if they'd said such a stupid thing to me.

I'm getting mad just thinking about it!
Old 09-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparazi View Post
Can you imagine trying to explain to some new PO 3 what Olongapo or Subic City was like.
They would never understand or even comprehend. I can still hear the club bands or is that just the tinnitus?

30 cent ice cold San Miguel, pitchers of MoJo, mystery meat on a stick from the street vendor's, and joining NFCU with a $5 postal money order. The roving photographers who would take your picture with you and your date. An hour or so, four different nightclubs and probably a different date later they find you so you can buy the B/W 5 x 7 glossy that usually was burned the next morning. Waiting in line at the base phone exchange to call home. Spanish Gate, Grande Island, White Rock, Victory Liner bus ride to Manila,,,

FCC(SW) Ret 25 Jun 1980 - 31 Jan 2004
Old 09-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Its a cultural thing today. Cuts across all of life's levels. Been to any base clubs today, what there is of them. Political correctness has taken the back bone out of todays personnel. The officer corps has been devastated. Every body over O-4 just wants to get out as soon as they can. Everybody's watching everybody else for any slight PC infraction.
Recruitment is in the toilet to the tune of $40k enlistment bonus. Seems most of them either have a drug convictions or there obesity.
When an E7 today is digested with the quality of recruits he's getting, its bad.
Sure hope we never need a couple million guys to storm a beach somewhere today.
Good thing is, we won't be around to see it. From someone that's been retired more years then he was in.

Sweetbriar, Sam Migu was a nickel a bottle in the P.I. in 64. Hell they were still findin live ord.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #11

I --had -- to register for the draft. No sign on bonus, no pay incintve, no college just a free ticket to nam.
I was lucky, never got my number, pfc1a is far as i got, but i damn sure didnt run. Lot of em never got back home.

I see todays forces as ---
well at least, all is quite on the western front
Old 09-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Military runs deep in the family. My Dad joined the Navy in 1930 retired 1958 as a LCDR. I started High School as a Navy Brat in Yokohama Japan.
Tried to join the Navy Nukes as a JR. in High Schools, but was rejected for a lazy eye. Joined the Army in 61 out in 68. The DW's Dad was a Mustang LT. Started the Brooklyn NY Hard Hat Diving School in the 40s, as a W2. Her Brother is a retired Master Chief.
I have 4 Sons, a Lance CPL. Marine (Med Discharge) 2 Army 1st Sgt and a Cmd SgtM. 4 grand kids have been in the Navy and my Granddaughter PO 1st Class, is still active. She will be headed to Norfolk, where I started a long time ago.

I definitely understand where you are coming from.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:18 PM   #13

We've gotten way too soft as a nation. Too many sissies, too many man-buns. Perhaps we're overdue for a knock down, drag out war. A war that kills millions. WWII comes to mind. Our country had to get tough to win that one. Our country came together to fight a common foe. We were in it together. Even Hollywood and the press were with the country in the epic battle. 911 sort of brought us together but it didn't last. Perhaps I'm very wrong. Perhaps our country is so very weak, so very divided that we could not win a major war. Have we come too far to fix it?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #14

6 years NAVY and I take offense that some would consider my time as 'temporary hired help'
Funny---that was hardly the mindset when I was in the NAVY

Seems those young NAVY guys aren't the only ones with a 'skewed' opinion of others that served and what that time in service meant to them.
Hardly needed to be a 'lifer' for it to have an impact then or now.

NAVY taught me an occupation that allowed me to have a great career and retire early-----before I turned 50 (15 yrs ago)
Yes...I was only in for 6 yrs but I am STILL NAVY!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote