Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #1

1st long trip with the dogs

We are planning our first long trip with the dogs this sept/oct. We will probably be gone 4 to 6 weeks. One of our dogs gets a little anxious on short trips, we are trying out a thunder shirt on a couple of shorter trips first, then will go to meds if need be, I would like to avoid this if possible. Can others let me know how their dogs did on their first long trips. They will never be very far from us. They are labs, well behaved, but 10 and 12 years of age. Any and all advise welcome!
pmaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #2

I think that every dog will be different :(

Our Eskimo is pretty high strung and easily scared. On smooth roads, he can be pretty chill. When we hit pot holes, cattle grates or similar he gets scared. Curvy roads seem to bother him as well. I’m adding foam to our drawers to try and quiet the pots and pans from banging.

We have never tried the thunder shirt because of his long hair. We did try some CBD treats on our last trip and I’m not certain they did any good. If the road was particularly rough/curvy, my wife followed me in the Jeep and he was happy.

Good luck in your travels.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Simple advice - relax. I know if I am stressed my dogs read it instantly, if I am having fun - they are having fun. So send it out to whatever powers you believe in - We will have fun! The dogs will love this!!!
If that doesn't work for you - plan B: Labs (mostly) love treats and toys, so bring plenty of both and pass out liberally. Reward a lot while inside the RV so they associate treats with being in the RV.

I hope you have a fantastic trip!
MaureenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #4

When we travel with the "Girls" (both rescues 70#& 12 - 40#&4) they spend most of the road time sleeping on something soft that they can reach. We have a deep bowl for water that they do go to periodically, but we always water for one of the to get very close and start to want attention. That means someone wants a "Grass Stop". Just be sure to always have the pick things handy.

When I bring the coach up to the house and they see us loading, they will be in as soon as there is a chance. The smaller and newer one was not sure at first, but after a few days on the road, she settled right in.

Enjoy the trip.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #5

Our lab Charlie was 10 when we got our RV. First trip out, she was very nervous by all the rattling noise and when the turn signal beeping sounded. When we pulled into Cody Wyoming and and had a conversation with a neighbor about her anxiety, the lady said, "All that matters to Charlie is being with us, she will get used to being in the RV." She did by the end of that trip but on occasion we have given her vet recommended Benadryl and that has worked fine.She has a little over 40 thousand miles under her belt now over the past 6 years. She uses a dog ramp to get in now.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #6

We were fulltime with our three rescues. The girls did just fine. I agree with the thunder shirts if and when needed. I also agree that they will sense your anxiety so if you are relaxed they may be as well. One other thing to consider is a product called rescue remedy. It is available at the big box pet stores. It goes in their water and just calms them down. It also works great when there is noise or other things that might set them off in a campground. Best of luck.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #7

We have a TT so dogs are always in truck with us...We have had 3 boxers over the years camping with us..They all loved to camp.. One we had to take a long walk first before the initial ride and give benadryl . Partly because it helped calm him a little and partly because he would bump all up with gnats and skeeter bites.. Now we have just the 14 week old pup.. We started her out at 8 weeks camping and she is a trooper... All the dogs we have had we would have to take on long walks the first day or they would be all wound up and excited to be campin and wouldnt sleep well.. So my advice would be long walks and benadryl ..Our vet said up to 3 times a day... It helps with some of the anxiety and the gnats and skeeter bites if they are bothered by them..If you can take them now on short drives it could help..
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #8

I am full time and travel with a rescue dog. A 65lb female boxer who is about 7 yrs old. We have been on the road now for 6 yrs. when she is not looking out the front window of my Class A she is in the back sleeping on the king size bed. She loves to travel. The only problem is all the drool on the front dash lol lol lol.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #9

thanks for all the advice! We have a travel trailer and they ride in the truck. I did notice last short trip that if I ignore the panting and the nose pushing my elbow they settle down and go to sleep. The benadryl sounds like the way to go if needed. Our main problem is that the "little girl" keeps trying to get up in the front with us. I think we will need to put the gate up..positive reinforcement and treats. thanks to all!
Old 08-08-2019, 05:39 AM   #10

One thing I do is to get the dog(s) used to the vehicle well in advance of departure. Make it a safe place where only good things happen: toys, treats, praise, cuddle time. IME that serves two functions. 1) It reduces deployment anxiety. 2) If startled while at a campsite, the dog will run TO the camper as a safe haven.

Pete
Glenlivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #11

we have a TT so the dogs are in the truck with us. They've traveled long distances with us and are nervous for about the first hour or so (usually need to stop and let them poop) but then they're fine. We bought one of these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 our last trip. We wrapped in a twin size quilt we had and put the pillows, which are much smaller than they look in the pic, under the mattress near the seat backs to make it more level. THEY LOVED IT! With or without the TT, we will use it when traveling with the dogs. We have 3. Mini Schnauzer, shih tzu and chihuahua mix.
Manana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #12

Cool

Simple advice - relax. I know if I am stressed my dogs read it instantly, if I am having fun - they are having fun.
If that doesn't work for you - plan B: Labs (mostly) love treats and toys, so bring plenty of both and pass out liberally. Reward a lot while inside the RV so they associate treats with being in the RV.

Thanks for the advice, best yet!
Old 09-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #13

Thanks, bought it, but too small, plus I have two labs, 50lbs and up. We have a big cab. But it did start me thinking! so Thanks so much!

Tags
dogs