Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

2 Great Parks for Dogs!!!

We've been full timming since Sept and in that time have worked our way from Sacramento, Ca to Rutherfordton, NC. We travel with our three dogs.

In the past couple of weeks we've come across two of the most amazing places we (our dogs) have ever seen.

James Island County Park in Charleston, SC has a 2 acre off leash dog park with three different swimming beaches for them. There's also several miles of trails which were great for walking the dogs and for riding bikes. Beautiful park in a wonderful part of the country.

While staying at James Island, we met a couple who told us about 4 Paws Kingdom, in Rutherfordton, NC. There's no way to go into everything 4 Paws has... they have a great web site for that... but I believe it is a one of a kind park that was the vision of the wonderful couple who have built it. It is designed for dogs... and only dogs. At least 6 different fenced off leash areas... including a "private" one to be used by only one guest at a time. We watched the agility class this afternoon. All of this is set in the beautiful foothills of North Carolina. WAY off the beaten track which we think is nice for a while.

We have really enjoyed both parks... and so have our dogs!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Miya really enjoyed James Island County Park Doggy Park. We enjoyed it also, and the other amenities.

There was one in Phoenix that was nice, but I can't remember the name of it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Not to beat this to death, but we've extended out stay at Four Paws Kingdom first to two and now to three weeks. Really a great place. Took our youngest Westie to obedience class yesterday and attended their Saturday night potluck last night. Great food and lots of wonderful stories exchanged. No kids under 14 allowed at the park since the owners don't think the two are completely compatible. This place certainly isn't for everyone but if you're a dog nut like me you might want to check it out.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #4

We checked out the web site......sounds like a destination we'd like. And Hannah (Queen Pug), too! It's added to our list of 'places we have GOT to check out'......thanks!
MoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:24 AM   #5

Thanks RickO. I can't wait till we can visit there. My dogs would love it. Looks like a great place.
hdglide6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I think any "dog nut" will love the place but it's not for everyone. No kids under 14 allowed. Everything here is dedicated to dogs. It really is unique. Every site is named after a dog. The owners are Corgi people and Lucy and Schroder rule the roost!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I think any "dog nut" will love the place but it's not for everyone. No kids under 14 allowed. Everything here is dedicated to dogs. It really is unique. Every site is named after a dog. The owners are Corgi people and Lucy and Schroder rule the roost!
We've heard of this park and, since it is not too far from us here in VA, we may give it a try. I'm sure my goofy mutts will love it.

What is nearby in terms of other things to do; sightsee, shop (for the DW), etc?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We're about 15 miles from Lake Lure and Chimney Rock State Park and about 40 miles from Asheville. One of the good news/bad news things about this place is that it's not really "close" to much of anything except peace and quiet. There is a Walmart and Lowes about 11 miles away.

I always use ear plugs to sleep but here I'm sleeping without them and with my bedroom windows open... it's so nice and quiet.

It's a great place to "get away" and at the same time really treat the dogs. I bathed two of mine yesterday in their indoor Doggie Bathhouse and then trimmed them up on the provided grooming tables. Eight different off leash dog parks!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Great information RickO, thank you
My dog will certainly love the beaches,
Mike