Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #29

One of our dogs is extremely aggressive towards other dogs. He is a rescue and from what we were able to ascertain, they tried using him in dog fights, etc and this is where we believe he got his aggression. He's the most lovable dog towards people but will try to go after any dog he doesn't know. Yes, we've been through personal training and have had many other dogs...he's just a bit special.

That said, being aggressive simply means that my wife and I as owners need to do our part to be RESPONSIBLE. We walk him with a halti so that we can easily control him and avoid taking him into areas where there will be lots of other dogs. When people do come around with their dog, we tell them that he's not friendly and to stay away if we ourselves are unable to walk away. The issue we have is with owners who have "friendly" dogs and let them run amok. I don't know how many times someone's "friendly" dog has run up to us off-leash and the owner doesn't seem to think there is any urgency to get their dog.

Friendly or aggressive, dog owners in general need to be responsible and manage their pets.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Joe and Kait,

Bless you for adopting the "special" dog. It is a rare family that can adapt to these special needs...good for you!

We are part of a dog rescue and troubled dogs too often have to cross the Rainbow Bridge without special families like you.
www.sunnysaints.org

BTW, nice Blog.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Joe and Kait,

Bless you for adopting the "special" dog. It is a rare family that can adapt to these special needs...good for you!

We are part of a dog rescue and troubled dogs too often have to cross the Rainbow Bridge without special families like you.
www.sunnysaints.org

BTW, nice Blog.

Safe travels
Thank you - Duke was a few days away from going across that bridge before we adopted him and had been in the shelter for 3 months prior. It was a lot of work but we understand his issues and work with him to have the best life possible.

Thanks for the work you do with the rescue.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:24 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by weretherusso View Post
Friendly or aggressive, dog owners in general need to be responsible and manage their pets.
This is the key to the privilege of having a pet.

BTW The two we have now are both rescue dogs as were the two before them. Could not ask for better treat beggars
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:46 PM   #33

Mastiff w/No collar or Leash

a year ago, my German Shepherd and my two young boys and I were attacked by a mastiff in a campground. The owner left the dog in there RV and they had a 4 year old. The 4 year old opened the door and let the mastiff out... The mastiff made eye contact with me ( my mistake) and came at us in full charge my 1 year old GSD went right in to action and circled and herded to keep us from harm until my husband ( US ARMY AIRBORNE RANGER) came out and put the mastiff in a sleeper hold until the owner could come . I must say I will never have another dog other than a GSD, I am so happy my husband knew what to do--- I was in complete panic mode....... my kids were hysterical..... anyway the people in the campground were wonderful. The bottom line is it is all about the owner... every single time.
TheCoopTroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4fun View Post
This is an old discussion, there should really be an Idiot owner Policy, dogs will do what you let them.
Many a times I walk my German Shepherd dogs and owners with small dogs pulling for all their worth at the end of the leash to get to my dogs.
Then the usual replay comes, "my little one just wants to play"

That is how things go bad. I put my dogs in down position and do my best to educate the owner of the obviously "untrained" little dog, usually to the end of the owner frowning as the little dog will not hurt my big dogs.... The uneducated speak!!!!!
All my dogs see is another dog coming at them/me and they want to make sure we are safe.

Looks like you ran into a few of the idiot dog owners.

I hope your little guy is OK.
Truer words were never spoken. I have two Pit Bulls which are highly trained and disciplined and I run into that exact scenario all the time.
Generally when they make the "my little dog is harmless" argument I tell them my pit "accidentally" swallowed the last small dog he played with whole. They generally keep their distance and start watching their dog after that.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I am long time cyclist that is regularly chased and attacked by dogs. I have been bitten by dogs and struck by dog owners. The behavior of dogs is almost understandable. The behavior of dog owners is completely unpredictable and often insane. These things happen everywhere - not just campgrounds. After years of this, I have concluded that any effort by me to change people is a waste of time and any effort to defend myself against an attacking dog (to include shouting, dog training sprays/horns/whistles - NOT to include anything that would harm the animal) is an aggressive act of war against the dog owner. I completely understand how you feel - it stinks to be an innocent, following the rules, and be treated so poorly by a human or animal. I think your question is "what to do?" Sadly, my answer is "nothing" - turn around and go the other way. Yes, I am old and jaded - time and experience has made me that way.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #36

Although I'm NOT a gun owner, it seems to me that a .22 or .38 is the only way to really stop (permanently) a very aggressive dog. I don't think pepper spray is sufficiently quick-acting if the dog is in full attack mode. MACE might work, but I'm not sure regular folk can carry it.

Does anyone know if you can get walking sticks with a trigger that can give an electric shock?

BTW, we travelled with two elderly rescued yellow Labs and din't have any incidents in the four years we had the MH.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:28 AM   #37

Pepper spray and ammonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebrit View Post
Hi

.....Question shouldn't Camp grounds have an aggressive pet policy requiring owners with known aggressive dogs wear a muzzle and also warn them should there dog attack they will have to leave with out refund Immediately. Any views on this subject has anyone had the same experience ?
I'm sorry this happened to your dog. Many CGs are not willing to lose MONEY by banning vicious aggressive dogs. They look the other way. I would not return to any CG that allows them. We will not return to Tims Ford CG where a senior woman was viciously attacked by a pit bull running loose the day before we got there.

If you are not one to "carry" you may want to buy strong pepper spray and make sure you get it in the eyes, nose and mouth of any loose aggressive appearing dogs approaching you and your dog. Keep spraying the attacker even if it's rolling on the ground - then quickly leave. The life of your dog is at stake so make sure you disable the aggressor. I can almost guarantee you the aggressive dog will avoid you and you dog like the plague afterward.

If you cannot find pepper spray you can use undiluted ammonia in a pray bottle set to an open type stream. Carry it with you at all times. Aim for the eyes, nose and mouth. I know this sounds cruel but it's also cruel if the aggressive dog gets hold of your dog and rips it apart or shakes him, breaking his neck. Or worse, attacks YOU!
Old 11-07-2015, 02:34 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoopTroop View Post
The mastiff made eye contact with me ( my mistake) and came at us in full charge my 1 year old GSD went right in to action and circled and herded to keep us from harm until my husband....
You lost me. What does "circled and herded" mean? How did that stop the other dog from attacking you, getting to you?
Old 11-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I stay in one CG where owners of selected breeds (The policy is rather poorly written and lists at least one breed 3 different ways. but then I know a bit about animals, including dogs, and have met a couple of the breeds listed in that policy) I've dealt with several Big Dogs. And have only been bitten twice.. once was my fault, clearly my fault, I put my hand in the dog's mouth as he was closing it (My bad) Dog was sorry, No major damage as he did not bite hard.

The other was a Rott, he tried to bite me,, Hit my thumbnail but no penetration (Clearly) I have had a couple others try.. but miss. Much to the amazment of their owners.

NONE Of these were in campgrounds though. (The first was on my dad's farm, he was our dog).

In campgrounds I've petted Malmutes (That's one big dog, paws bigger than my xxl hands) and other "Big Agressive" breeds..All were much more like kittens than vicious dogs.

I've also had to dodge several ankle biters,, Dogs where the whole dog was not much larger than my hand.. But those little puppies wanted to BITE me.. (They too missed, but hey.. I grew up with animals and generally read the body language well)

Roudy.. The Malmute.. Well he acted exactly like my house cats, Since he was not ready for me to stop petting him he gently grabbed my hand with his paw and pulled it back.. That was his most aggressive act.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #40

I am of the same opinion with respect to large breeds. I am on my fourth generation Rottweiler. I am responsible, have trained and socialized my girl since she entered our home. I've had more small breeds lunge aggressively and bare teeth and bark while walking on their leash. Never has my girl displayed unacceptable behaviour. The key words here are "unacceptable behaviour" I understand big dogs are intimidating, but any educated dog person knows and understands dog behavior. I think it would be a great idea for all dog owners to pass a behavior test with their dogs. I'm sure the statistics would dramatically change. Not that this will ever change the mindset of people. And those people with the cattle prod idea? Very sad indeed.
Windtalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
No owner would ever admit that their baby is a known aggressive dog. That's why campgrounds have been forced, unfairly to many good dogs, ban certain breeds because its impossible to preemptively ban stupid people.
That's so true. Often when walking alone in the camp grounds a dog would bark at me. The owner would talk to the dog like a human 'doggie stop that' as if it was unusual for the dog to bark.

Then there is the dog locked in the trailer that barks constantly while the owners are away.

The dog barking and pulling on the chain is frightening.

Many owners are obvious to their dog's behavior and the affect on others and the surroundings.

Of course it isn't the dog's fault.

I've seen 1 dog limits, bread bands and all dogs banded parks.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #42
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Our dog is a 17 lb Maltese-Shih-tsu mix. Will run after runners, bikers, and children barking aggressively. One man who decided to kick him did get bitten (on the pant-leg, thankfully). Thus, watch out for the small dogs more than the big ones!

As a Realtor in the Houston area, I see so many pets of all sizes interacting with the "public" and have more people scared that there are large dogs, but more have been bitten by the small ones

However - I don't believe that apartments, townhomes, motor homes, trailers are any home for these large breeds. I personally feel sorry for these animals who don't have large yards to run in. Then find that some owners are cruel enough to have 2 or 3 such animals in their motorhome. Vacation trips - maybe. Full-timing? nonono
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground