Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixn2gocamp View Post
"Aggressive" breeds is not a proper description for the problem here. The bottom line is: If it has teeth, it CAN bite. I don't believe in banning breeds, I believe in banning bad owners. I carry pepper spray when walking anywhere where I can be set on by an unleashed dog (or anything else for that matter). I have sprayed 5 dogs that were running loose on a beach in Texas, the owner thought I should "get off the beach" if I didn't like dogs. Felt sorry for the dogs, but the owner wouldn't get close enough to me to spray him. (JUST KIDDING). Hopefully the 5 $100 tickets he got from the police that day helped him learn a lesson. The dogs/cats/whatever isn't leashed isn't the real problem. The real problem is the OWNER of these animals who think the rules do not apply to them. If a park doesn't enforce it leash laws, we review them as such and do not return. But we tell the park why we're not returning. If more people would do that, the management might get tired of hearing it and enforce their rules. If you have a dog that "gets off its leash" YOU are the problem. If your animal isn't socialized and you allow them in public, again, YOU are the problem. We should stop blaming the animal....or at least blame the right one. I will spray any dog or any unleashed animal that approaches me in an aggressive manner...and will continue to do so.

You don't mention if those dogs were actually trying to harm you, merely that they were close enough to spray. I would have thought if you were being harmed or even threatened by the dogs you would have mentioned it.

In Ontario for instance, that is considered animal cruelty. SPCA up here takes that sort of thing VERY seriously and prosecutes all but a few instances were there might be justification.

The penalty for that is up to a $60,000 fine, 2 years in jail, and if it was your own pet harmed, a lifetime ban from owning animals.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #72

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
We have 5 small Chi's. They are aggressive. We put them on harness and leashes any time they are out. What I hate is we'll stop at a beach and we'll take the dogs for their walks. No less than half a dozen large dogs will be off leash, be it playing frizbee, or chasing a stick. I can't count the number of times that we have had ones charge ours. fortunately we haven't had any serious issues.
We worked at a resort for awhile, they had a breed policy that was imposed by the insurance co. There standard policy cost them upwards of 10k / yr. Yet people still would bring in dogs that weren't allowed and also ones that would not be on leashes.
bjcarpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:47 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a large pug who has traveled with us, he has become a grouch as he has aged,but only appears aggressive toward folks. Pugs are not amicable to training,only took 3 attempts to graduate from puppy training. So I try to avoid the busy times at the potty areas, have him on a short lease, if the area is divided and inclosed, he is then allowed off leash if there are no other pups around . I also rein him in if approaching kids, who want to run and grab the "puggy". I don't think he would bite, but why take a chance.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #74

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
No owner would ever admit that their baby is a known aggressive dog. That's why campgrounds have been forced, unfairly to many good dogs, ban certain breeds because its impossible to preemptively ban stupid people.
While I agree, I also disagree to a point. I have a people aggressive dog that I take backpacking and camping. He is only aggressive when he's on home territory. And even than, I take precaution with him. He is in his kennel when people are over, or has a muzzle on when he wants to show his ass (I'm abit of a tough mom).

However...my dog has never out right attacked someone or charged. I can't train his fears away, so I train him to trust me in being his handler.

For a dog to outright lunge and attack, that is some serious aggression. As in, the owners need to ether give them up, or work with the dogs. Dogs like them make my dog have a bad rep, and it pisses me off.
SimbaAndCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:52 AM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimbaAndCats View Post
While I agree, I also disagree to a point. I have a people aggressive dog that I take backpacking and camping. He is only aggressive when he's on home territory. And even than, I take precaution with him. He is in his kennel when people are over, or has a muzzle on when he wants to show his ass (I'm abit of a tough mom).

However...my dog has never out right attacked someone or charged. I can't train his fears away, so I train him to trust me in being his handler.

For a dog to outright lunge and attack, that is some serious aggression. As in, the owners need to ether give them up, or work with the dogs. Dogs like them make my dog have a bad rep, and it pisses me off.
Respectfully I must say I'm confused about this. You have a dog in a public setting that needs to be muzzled? I assume your camper is his home turf. Why does does he show his ass?

What kind of dog is he? Aggressive breeds get that tag because of statistics.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:34 AM   #76

Breeds are not aggressive, individual dogs are. I've said this before and will say this again. While working as an animal control officer, I came across far more aggressive chiwawas than pits, rots or shepherd's combined. I've also come across aggressive labs as well so it's not the breed it's the owners training and I wish people could start seeing that.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:19 AM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
Breeds are not aggressive, individual dogs are. I've said this before and will say this again. While working as an animal control officer, I came across far more aggressive chiwawas than pits, rots or shepherd's combined. I've also come across aggressive labs as well so it's not the breed it's the owners training and I wish people could start seeing that.
I kind of agree. I think many of the small dog attacks go unreported because they are so easy to kick. Some of the so called aggressive breeds were made that way by people. The "sport" of bull baiting started in England about 1000 years ago.

Here is a list of over thirty years of dog bites by breed. Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to December 31, 2014 - By Merritt Clifton - DogsBite.org
Old 06-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
agree it's the owners lack of control, not always the dogs.
(hmmm, same analogy as with guns !)

I KNOW our stray had a rough time before he lucked out and found my sweet wife... but she's so sweet that she doesn't control HIM...

Off leash, he knows my words are COMMANDS,
on leash or off, hers are requests

but he is still ALWAYS on leash and controlled just in case...

others walk up with their dogs and while he is wagging a tail 99.9%, I treat him as if it's a ploy to get them closer and say 'He's not sociable' - some people don't understand and I have to give THEM a command
Old 07-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #79

Nor'easters Club
I have three 75+lb dogs which have had 24/7 access to a fenced acre all their lives (4 yr Lab, 7 yr Hound, 9 yr Chesapeake Bay Retriever). Now we are in a 5th wheel & 'though they all had training as pups, those lessons are mostly gone, although we are retraining now with great difficulty. I can almost hear them conspiring against us. Is there a portable fence we can set up while boondocking that is compact, lightweight & about 4' tall? Would an electric fence be feasible? Although I want to give then some room to sniff around, I also want to keep other animals away (coyotes & strays).
Trailertrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:05 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailertrish View Post
I have three 75+lb dogs which have had 24/7 access to a fenced acre all their lives (4 yr Lab, 7 yr Hound, 9 yr Chesapeake Bay Retriever). Now we are in a 5th wheel & 'though they all had training as pups, those lessons are mostly gone, although we are retraining now with great difficulty. I can almost hear them conspiring against us. Is there a portable fence we can set up while boondocking that is compact, lightweight & about 4' tall? Would an electric fence be feasible? Although I want to give then some room to sniff around, I also want to keep other animals away (coyotes & strays).
I'm not sure about a portable fence big enough for your dogs.

A true electric fence, like a cow pasture might be a problem unless you are truly in a spot away from it all. Someone coming in contact with it in a CG would not be good. They also require power although some are solar powered.

If by electric you mean an invisible fence, they require training. Flags are set when installed so your dog can learn the area. After he/she know the boundaries the flags can be removed. This does not seem feasible in a mobile environment like RVing, also require power and will not keep other animals out.

Unrelated to your questions. I have heard a few times "at our home the dog has X amount of acres to run so he/she is never on a leash blah, blah blah. Well that's great but you are not home living under your own rules on your own land. You are in a public place so even though your dog does not like it or understand you should obey the leash laws or rules.

Tags
campground