Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Duffy is the greatest little traveler. We house broke him in the motorhome. His first trip was for 6 weeks when he was 2 1/2 months old.

Duffy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Duffy is the greatest little traveler. We house broke him in the motorhome. His first trip was for 6 weeks when he was 2 1/2 months old.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #3

duffy's mom, we are the proud owners of a 2 mo. old female westie (shasta) she hasn't hit the motor home yet, but weather permiting, she will in about two weeks. jimsue!
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I think RickO also has a Westie!
MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:26 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Wow, funny I came across this thread.
My wife has fallen in love with the Westies!
(Thinking of adopting one as a little companion to our Springer Spaniel.)
From what I've learned so far is that they are actually a hunting dog (which I like!), and that the West Highland, Scottish, and Cairnes are very similiar breeds. (My wife's family had a Scottie when we were younger.)
Anything else you can tell me about them would be appreciated.
The Portable Summer Cottage II * 2000 GBM/99 F53. Steer-Safe, Ultra-Trac, Bilsteins, Sumitomo's, CHF, & Eternabond. Mod it & keep her rolling! Pics & Mods:http://s69.photobucket.com/user/scot...20Cottage%20II
NAUTIQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Westies are wonderful but a bit stubborn. If you have never owned a terrier read more about them. Duffy's dad says its a good thing Duff is so cute. It has saved his life many times. Westies are very loyal and loving except when there are squirrels in the vacinity. It is important to keep them leashed when outside because if they see a small animal they will go after it and they don't listen to anything else. Duff is great with kids when they are introduced properly. I make him sit and have the kids approach slowly and let him smell their hand. Then he loves the attention.
They are very energetic and need lots of exercise. If you want a dog who is going to sit with you and just be a lap dog, a westie is not for you. Oh sure, Duffy is a lap dog, but only when he wants to be and is tired.
We did and do crate train him. He sleeps in his crate at night and can't wait to get in when its bedtime.

I'm sure Shasta will do well in the motorhome. We just took his crate and some toys and he was right at home. Post some pictures.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our daughter had a Westie and the term should be HYPER-Energetic.

Loving little dogs, but way too much energy and way too smart for their own good.

We have minaiture schnauzers and everybit as smart, but a little lower on the energy level.

Ken
Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duffy's Mom:
Westies are wonderful but a bit stubborn. If you have never owned a terrier read more about them.
They are very energetic and need lots of exercise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds just like our Springer (must be typical of the hunting breeds.) If a bird flys by - watch out. Amazingly smart and very stubborn.
Crate & Obediance training are a must.
I did read that, with a male dog already in the house, a female Westie would be the better option.
I haven't found any local breeders yet. I've been surfing the net looking for more info., clubs, breeders ect.
The Portable Summer Cottage II * 2000 GBM/99 F53. Steer-Safe, Ultra-Trac, Bilsteins, Sumitomo's, CHF, & Eternabond. Mod it & keep her rolling! Pics & Mods:http://s69.photobucket.com/user/scot...20Cottage%20II
Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
TXiceman - you said it all. If you are willing to walk them 4 or 5 times a day you can get the energy level down from hyper to high. And they do need consistant training from the get go or they will take over your home like Duffy has.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
For some really good info go to Westierescue.com
They usually have breeder recomendations. Who knows they may even have a sweet lady in distress who needs rescue.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duffy's Mom:
For some really good info go to Westierescue.com
They usually have breeder recomendations. Who knows they may even have a sweet lady in distress who needs rescue.

Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Vicki, I'll check that site out.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
One thing no one has mentioned is their fearlessness. No matter the height they are at, these dogs will jump. Many times we were just a little late getting to our dog before it jumped from a disconcerting height even when only a few weeks old. Luckily no injuries have occurred. They also do not care about the size of their "prey". To watch a 12 pound dog try to boss a 1200 pound horse around is something to see. And yes, the westie rules the roost.

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ah yes. I do remember when Duffy was 3 months old he went nose to nose with a full grown Great Dane. Only the Dane and Duffy's mom were scared. All in all I am raising a terrierist!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:56 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club

Duffy was mesmorized by these cows. He never saw one before. He also loved the smell.