Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #1

Best RV Pet Camera Systems

We have two small dogs that we usually take with us on trips. As with most small dogs they can be barkers and can get anxious when we are gone. Hence my question, what do you use for RV pet monitoring? Does it need constant internet?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 04:57 AM   #2

I'm curious. Why would you take your "barkers" on a trip and then go off and leave them in the RV to irritate and disturb your neighbors?

Why not do what we did when we had a "barker" - pay boarding at a hometown kennel out of respect for our neighbors.

Besides - if you have a pet monitoring system and you tune in and see them barking and barking and barking - what can you do about it with a pet monitoring system?

I don't mean to come across as a grumpy old man, but I just don't get people who KNOW they have barking dogs but insist on taking them on the road...and leaving them to bark and disturb neighbors.

Maybe I'm alone in my thinking.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:18 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
One of the questions was do pet cameras need a constant internet connection. The answer is yes.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:26 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We use Canary. It also monitors the climate and has sound both ways. Yes you need constant wifi.
https://canary.is/canary/
RTC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:43 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
WOW lots of options as I wanted to know for ourselves. Here is a link I found most interesting to myself was whereby you can feed them via wifi link, to bring them in view of the CAMERA. All that you need is some connection to WIFI.

Here is the link I found on Chewy:

https://www.chewy.com/s?query=Pet%20...=Pet%20Cameras

Here is an AMAZON link:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...es/17440052011

If my dog BARK'S we know something is going on. But so far no one has broken in for us to learn what 42-teeth can do from him as yet, still waiting for that call. If the words "CAUTION K-9 ON BOARD" can't get the message across or there attention. I'm sure POLICE vehicles would not have that written on their intercepters. I have only been able to find them in English print. As for leaving him in the cooler with other dogs. I don't believe he would ever forgive me for that if he caught a cold or something from the kennels. Our dog has been trained to pee on the shoes of old men, who have the odor of computer keyboards on their hands.

Some DOGS are barkers and that can be a problem. A well-trained Dog and Handler is a happy dog team together. A BARKER can be trained not to bark and no one should own an untrained dog. Dogs labeled as working dogs and are not handlers should be fined, as this discredits trained canines. I'm all for Canine accreditation of all working dogs. As for general household pets, anything can go and the total overall responsibility rests on the shoulders of the loving or over loving handler. BE SAFE and wise Train your DOGS, Please!.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:47 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
just another reason cats are better no monitoring needed.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:36 AM   #7

I use this one, https://www.amazon.com/FREDI-Monitor...5386997&sr=8-3. It's easy, I connect it to my tablet, as a mobile hotspot, to run it in the rv and then watch my dogs from my phone anywhere. It has to way communication so you can talk to your dogs and it sends motion detection alerts. Since you can move it and zoom in, I can also move it to see my interior temperature gauge to make sure the temperature is fine when it's 95+ out. I feel very good about leaving my dogs in the rig while we go sightseeing now.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #8

We use a Furbo camera. It has a "bark" alert that will do push notifications to your smart phone to let you know your dog is barking. My dogs usually don't bark but if they do, the Furbo will let me know and we will go back to the motorhome.
MetalGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #9

Whew, I don't remember you asking for advice on dogs.

To answer your question, I use an Amcrest exactly like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have two of these in the rig to monitor three Boston Terriers. I can look at the temperature station, etc. You can listen in and talk. I like Amcrest because it's hosted in the U.S., not China. Yes you need an internet signal. It does not use data when you're not looking in. Get a hotspot.

Good luck with Man's best Friend.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #10

I have 6 of these little cameras. I use them to monitor the house and the motorhome. I think I paid like $16 each for them at WalMart. They work great and simple to set up. Just plug them in and point them where you want. You do need an internet connection to use them. They also have 2 way audio and motion detection with notifications. Of course you can turn on/off features as needed.

I also understand the rant about barking dogs too. I manage to park next to one every now and then.

https://www.amazon.com/Merkury-Innov...423388&sr=8-47
Old 12-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGator View Post
We use a Furbo camera. It has a "bark" alert that will do push notifications to your smart phone to let you know your dog is barking. My dogs usually don't bark but if they do, the Furbo will let me know and we will go back to the motorhome.
If they bark you would cut your siteseeing trip to go back to see why they're barking? Wow!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #12

Part of the reason for the cameras is to find out if they are barking to a point where they may annoy someone else while we are gone. We have never had anyone complain that the dogs were an issue but we would like to make sure that they are not an issue for anyone else. We know they will bark when someone passes by but we don't know how they act when we are not there.

Besides any barking issues we would like to be able to monitor the temperature, which some of the units do. That's just a safety feature for their well being.

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll follow them up and see what may be best for our needs. The rig is in storage until April so there is no immediate need.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If they bark you would cut your siteseeing trip to go back to see why they're barking? Wow!

Yes I would. Not to see why they are barking, but to keep them from barking. My old Jack Russell is 16 years old and can't see or hear very well. Sometimes she gets confused and will start barking if we aren't around. Doesn't happen very often as she mostly sleeps. The few times that she does bark, I come back to the motor home and she quits barking. I try and be a good RV neighbor. If we are going on a trip that I know I will be away from the motorhome for a long time, I leave her at home and have my niece watch her.

The Furbo camera works very well.
MetalGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGator View Post
Yes I would. Not to see why they are barking, but to keep them from barking. My old Jack Russell is 16 years old and can't see or hear very well. Sometimes she gets confused and will start barking if we aren't around. Doesn't happen very often as she mostly sleeps. The few times that she does bark, I come back to the motor home and she quits barking. I try and be a good RV neighbor. If we are going on a trip that I know I will be away from the motorhome for a long time, I leave her at home and have my niece watch her.

The Furbo camera works very well.
Thanks for the explanation and being a caring RV neighbor!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, ems