Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #1

campgrounds restrictions on dobermans

Could someone tell me the percentage of campgrounds that don't allow Dobermans.Im getting my RV,a thor hurricane 2006,tomorrow.I don't have a doberman now but Ive had 3 and always had well behaved,gentle Dobermans, that only look scary.Theyre great for boondocking security,but at times Ill be in a campground.Is this going to be an issue?My 2nd choice would be a large air dale.Any suggestions would be helpful.
Rv artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv artisan
Could someone tell me the percentage of campgrounds that don't allow Dobermans.Im getting my RV,a thor hurricane 2006,tomorrow.I don't have a doberman now but Ive had 3 and always had well behaved,gentle Dobermans, that only look scary.Theyre great for boondocking security,but at times Ill be in a campground.Is this going to be an issue?My 2nd choice would be a large air dale.Any suggestions would be helpful.
Anyone who has had a Doberman knows what it's like to have a "small horse" of a dog climb up on their lab. Biggest lap dog I ever had. Yes they can be protective but they are also smart. It's been years and I did not realize they were being misunderstood these days. I would think since pets must be leashed and under your control in parks they would be fine, but don't know for sure. Never saw a sign that said No Dobermans that I recall.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I have never seen a specific restriction for Doberman's but have seen restrictions for weight (less then 40 lbs).
jsetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 AM   #4

You will see it sometimes not often I had it happen before I stay on the coast 3 weeks a year at the same place I was online to make reservations and rules changed my dogs weren't allowed any more 65 lb white German shepherd and 140 lb great perimese I called the owner he tempered my dogs said come on down
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
laj

I have seen several cg,s that have restrictions for breed , quantity , and size on their web. sites. They don't list the specifics and i haven't called them. Several in az. and mont. calif. and wy.
I am sure there are lots of others just hasn't been on my trip planning list to find out.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sometimes you will see specific breeds listed and other times you will see something vague like "vicious breeds". Also, as others have said, you might see size and number restrictions. It really does vary a lot and in some cases it depends on whether CG management enforces these restrictions. In some cases I suspect that some dog haters (or at least haters of certain breeds) may complain to CG managers that don't enforce rules they believe are being violated.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #7

As someone who doesn't even go to the corner store without a dog, albeit a smaller one, I get used to looking at the list of "restricted breeds" and often the list looks like this;

"Pit Bulls, Pit Bull Mix Breeds, Dobermans, Rottweiler's and Chows"

Others merely try to be a little less 'in your face' about it and says something politically correct like "Small friendly well-behaved pets are always welcome." This gives them lots of latitude to pick on any dog they don't like the look of.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #8

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You wouldn't want to cross my 13lb mutt, but my 85lb Golden Retriever DGD (dear granddog) is a gentle giant.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I've seen alot of private campgrounds that have "breed restrictions". Unfortunately Dobermans are often on that list. It's an insurance issue and many campgrounds will restrict so-called "viscious" breeds. Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Rotties and sometimes even German Shepherds make the restrictive list.

If you travel & camp in public campgrounds you won't have an issue, but in private campgrounds you might well.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

My experience is a bit different from many of the posts so far. I can't give a specific percentage, but my perception is that well over half of private CGs have "breed restrictions" and those restrictions usually list Dobbies along with pits... rightly or wrongly.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I've seen alot of private campgrounds that have "breed restrictions". Unfortunately Dobermans are often on that list. It's an insurance issue and many campgrounds will restrict so-called "viscious" breeds. Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Rotties and sometimes even German Shepherds make the restrictive list.

If you travel & camp in public campgrounds you won't have an issue, but in private campgrounds you might well.
I think WG's hit the nail on the head vis a vis dog breeds. The Park Owner may well have 'no vote' in the matter. Everyone understands 'most' RV'ers will have a pet of some sort; but the Ins. Carrier is the one with money on the line if something goes 'very wrong.'

Have a 10 year old Yellow Lab whose idea of exercise is to roll over and snuggle deeper in the bed blankets. Save for when we're well away from the Park (fishing) he's on a lease ... One day that wasn't enough. Other dog actually pulled his master (a lady) off her feet and onto the ground. The only up side to this is I had my fishing rod and a 58" spiked tipped wading staff. Could keep Sandy next to me (barely!) as this other dog went nuts trying to get at him.

Fortunately other folks saw what had happened and got the other dog under control (no easy, or safe task). "Everybody all right!" all around and 'I'm sooo sorry! He's never done that before.'

Candidly, I didn't believe her ......... then or now.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Our's is a mutt but well over the weight restriction of most CGs. We make it a point at check in to introduce him to the staff and so far no problems.

We have found most CG owners to reasonable in the application of their rules.

I don't think its much different than the rule about no rigs older than 10 years. Well kept rigs or well mannered dogs always seem to be welcome, especially in today's economy.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #13

The only time we have been affected was in Florida. We found our German Shepherd Dog was on the bad breed list at a campground we wanted. However, we were able to find a campground near Ft. Lauderdale that, for whatever reason, allowed the dog. While there, our motorhome needed multi day service and we found that LaQuinta hotels allowed pets. During a discussion with one of the employees, that lived with her GSD mix at parents, we were told that the parents had to pay an additional homeowners insurance premium due to a "bad dog" at the residence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post

2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
We have found most CG owners to reasonable in the application of their rules.

I don't think its much different than the rule about no rigs older than 10 years. Well kept rigs or well mannered dogs always seem to be welcome, especially in today's economy.
I have to disagree based on the breed rules. Size & age of rig can be loose, but the breed becomes an insurance & liability issue. Basically if the insurance deems a "viscious" breed did some damage in the campground, the owners cannot get any coverage. So I've found breed restrictions to be much more heavily enforced than other rules.

Public campgrounds (State Parks, National Forest, COE, BLM etc.) are not bound to carry the same kind of insurance so they will rarely have any breed restrictions, but private campgrounds are another matter. We don't stay much at private campgrounds, but when we do one of the first questions they often ask is "what breed is your dog". Just our experience anyway...

Tags
will be the best dog.