Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #1

Cat Litter

Hi,

Just in the process of buying our first DP and then at the end of February on the road for four months...with at least one cat.

Any suggestions to make this comfortable for the cat...and for the owners.

Also, what do you recommend for cat litter container. I've heard of people putting them in the basement...if you can get to it from inside the motor home. And I've seen some that look like a piece of furniture.

Any suggestions welcome...and any advice for a newbie fulltimer with a cat.

Barbara
AloraDanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #2

Hello I have a regular cat litter box with the lid. It dont look like a piece of furniture. I put it under my dash passenger side, i have a mid door coach. And i only use fresh step litter, its real good for holding orders back. And when i travel i put kitty in his holding bag, its actually a dog bag but i have a big kitty. I put him in there because it helps him handle traveling better. if i let him roam free he ends up getting sick
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #3

We use a the small size concrete mixing pan sold at HD or Loews for a litter box. We have 3 cats so the large box works well. If your MH has a low floor level cabinet with a door you can remove the door and leave the litter box in the cabinet. Or cut a cat access door into the face of the door....
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AloraDanin View Post
Hi,

Just in the process of buying our first DP and then at the end of February on the road for four months...with at least one cat.

Also, what do you recommend for cat litter container. I've heard of people putting them in the basement...if you can get to it from inside the motor home. And I've seen some that look like a piece of furniture.

Barbara
we have been full timing with 2 17 year old cats for 4 years.
we use an electric litterbox with arm and hammer multicat litter. we are presently using a modified simple clean litter box. i do not recommend it. the littermate works better. they both work on 110v house power or inverter power. we keep the litterbox on the shower floor. i made a wire fixture with 2 eyelets to keep the bathroom door open about 6 inches all the time.
we keep the dry food feeder and the spill proof water container on the floor under the dinette table. we use filtered water.
when we are under way, both of our cats hide behind the bed or behind the couch. there is no need for us to put them in their carriers. they hide when we start to retract a slide and come back out when we extend a slide.
both of our slideouts are constructed so that there is no chance of the cats being hurt in the mechanisms.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We take all seven of our cats with us, the oldest is 17 and the youngest is about 1½. Each has it's own place to stay when we travel although sometimes the oldest likes in my wife's lap. A couple of them curl up on the dash in the pet beds we have there. One likes on the couch on a pile of blankets. Another is under the rocker. The big one sticks his head under the couch, he's too big to go under completely. One or two may lay on the floor beside me.
The litter box goes in the shower and is scooped daily or more often depending on what our noses say!
We had one dog, a Maltese, that liked under the dash, right under the brake tredle, not a good place!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #6

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. Another question...do you take the cats outside? I think ours will go nuts if he can't get out. I just ordered him a harness...guess we'll try and walk him.

Also thought we might be able to tether him up outside...only when we're there...some sort of stake in the ground and a chain.

Thoughts
Thanks
Barbara
AloraDanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks for the comments. Another question...do you take the cats outside? I think ours will go nuts if he can't get out. I just ordered him a harness...guess we'll try and walk him.

Also thought we might be able to tether him up outside...only when we're there...some sort of stake in the ground and a chain.

Thoughts
Thanks
Barbara
our cats had their front claws removed before we got them.
they are and always have been totally inside cats.
there are wild animals and free ranging dogs in much of the us. i would be leery about leaving a cat outside in an unknown area especially if it is tethered.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:

Thoughts
Thanks
Barbara
My kitty goes outside almost every day. He don't like to stay out too long though and he always sticks right close, he knows what RV is his and i have a basket holder on my bike, i also put him in his cat bag and strap him to the bike and take him for short rides
Old 01-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I installed a Cat Genie http://www.amazon.com/CatGenie-120-S...6338900&sr=8-2 system for my former employer's 2 cats. She enjoys no longer scooping litter. It needs pressurized water and access to a drain which might be challenging if you drive far.

My puppy, who has yet to understand what "come" means, wears a tag with my cell phone # on it. She is also microchipped with the cell # as the only one registered. My biggest fear is her getting lost when we are traveling. You might want to put something like that on your wants outside cats.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We have a big, scardy cat. He likes to claim the bed until the MH starts up then he goes to "hide" in a tent I made on the couch for him. He can see out but feels secure in the "dark". If we are traveling longer than about 2 hrs he then gets the courage up to leave his tent and will venture to my lap (no I am not driving) or the dash or the bar counter.
His litter box is a covered one and it goes under a desk in the LR area. The food and water is also in the LR area on the floor. Since he has not claws on the front we have gone thru several different litters to make sure that the pieces are not too big or too small to hurt or to get stuck in his paws. We also have to make sure that we do NOT get any litters that have any type of perfumes, not only for the cats strong sense of smell but also cause of Thom's allergies.
He has 7 toes on each foot and the previous owner had him declawed on the front. No he does not go out, he did sneak out at the S&B and I can tell you it's not a pretty site. He really is a big, scardy cat.
Not sure if we will get another cat when he passes. Thom is quite allergic to cats but he is the one that picked all three animals that we have had - Hershey, Grommet and Gascap.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi,

Barbara
We travel and camp with three cats. We use two large totes from Wal*Mart for litter pans and scoop twice a day. The shallower pans allow too much litter to scatter around. The cats took to the totes at once since we also use them at home.

Bring some of the cats favorite toys and blankets and scratching post. Familiar things will help them feel more comfortable.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #12

Quote:

Thoughts
Thanks
Barbara
Never tether a cat. Too many CGs have dogs that get loose. It's certain death or injury for your cat. There wont be much you can do if a vicious dog decides to grab your cat.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #13

KZ RV Club
Our kitten took to RVing like he was born for it. We do walk him on a leash with an H harness, but we started by just putting the harness on him, then walking him outside at home with the leash. He's trained to the click of the leash and comes running . . . he gets a treat, then gets his harness on and out we go. I have seen people with their cats on tethers but I would be terrified that a loose dog might attack him! While we are traveling, he happily snoozes in his carrier. He'll go 5 hours if necessary without a peep . . . we generally need to use the facilities before he does!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #14

I use Fresh Step. I like it, Kitty is happy. And if Kitty isn't happy nobody is happy

Tags
cat