Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 10:25 PM   #1
cgg

Cat-proof accordion doors?

Hey all. I'm looking to buy a short (<30ft) Class C soon, and will be travelling with 3 cats. I will also be working on the road, and, well... my cats can be annoying sometimes and the only way I can get any work done is to lock them outside of the room I'm in.

For that reason, I've only really been considering floor plans that have a more solid pocket door separating the bedroom area. It needs to be capable of holding 3 cats at bay for a couple hours. With that in mind I've all but eliminated any floor plan with only an accordion door... but I'm wondering if that's a little premature?

Most of the accordions I've seen don't even reach the floor, so obviously I'd need to find/replace it with one that does. I assume they exist? If that were to happen, do you think there are any out there capable of keeping the cats contained?

I'm not really big on the idea of locking the cats in the bathroom (way too small for 3 cats) or crating them, but if anyone else has any ideas for keeping them contained within the bedroom area, I'm all ears!

(Unfortunately, teaching them to stay off the desk/dinette is not an option at this point. Between the 3 of them they're more persistent than I. I am currently typing this with two trying to sleep on the keyboard...)
cgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg View Post
I am currently typing this with two trying to sleep on the keyboard...)
Well, yes!
We have seven cats and all of them come with us. Right now I'm at work so no cats to bother me here.
We haven't had a rig with an accordion door for about 18 years now. A cat will be able to get under most accordion doors unless it's rigid like stiff plastic or wood.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I work from home and my 7 cats have all been trained to stay off my desk, only one of them (the youngest) rebels from time to time, but as soon as I say DOWN, he listens so don't give up on training. You must be consistent, as tough as that is.

For the accordion door, you would need to find a way to cover the bottom, and block it from pushing in to your room when they try to get under it. Perhaps a solid piece of plywood a couple of feet tall and as wide as the door that can be secured to the doorway with a hook and eye? Some cats are so darned persistent, and I have one that has the power of reasoning and problem solving.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:28 AM   #4

My hope is that I can contain the cats behind the accordion door by putting a kid gate in front of it - one of the ones using pressure to stay in place. The gate would then switch to go in front of the outside door when I am wanting to get air in thru the screen door without the dogs and cats trying to blow through the screen. Mine is light weight plastic so the animals would also not see through it - hoping avoiding them seeing people and critters through the screen door that would make them want to go through the door.

At least until the animals have time to ponder how they are going to get around this I hope to be fine.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg View Post
Hey all. I'm looking to buy a short (<30ft) Class C soon, and will be travelling with 3 cats. I will also be working on the road, and, well... my cats can be annoying sometimes and the only way I can get any work done is to lock them outside of the room I'm in.

With that in mind I've all but eliminated any floor plan with only an accordion door... but I'm wondering if that's a little premature?
They can get out under those accordion doors... or worse get their heads under and get stuck! They can't go forward and they can't back up. Not safe for pets. Maybe you can buy or make a more solid type door, or have one made special.

Tags
cat, door, roof