RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

Cats and RV maintenance

Howdy,
Reach out to any rvers out there with cats.
What do you do when you have to take your rig in for maintenance.
I have a cat and have to have a few things done to my rig. I have a nice little kennel I could put her in in my Jeep while they're working on it but it could be many hours. Thought about just bucking it up and getting a hotel room for the night for the cat and me.
What's everyone else do?

Dan Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We travel with kennels for the cats, if we would need to take the MH in for work we would find a pet friendly hotel to accommodate us.

On the Road with 9 Rescued Cats
LynnD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnD View Post
We travel with kennels for the cats, if we would need to take the MH in for work we would find a pet friendly hotel to accommodate us.
Thanks yes I think the cat would be much more comfortable in a hotel room then a kennel for any extended period. While I'm traveling I do keep her in the kennel for safety sake and she's not real fond of that but she tolerates it.
Just sold my house and moved out of it into the RV with her. Only been a couple weeks and she's finally starting to adjust so I don't want to disturb her any more than I have to. First few days were pretty rough on her, poor thing. Came from a very very very quiet place with no neighbors and no traffic at all to RV parks with lots of noise and people. She's learning to adapt to that, and I'm glad.. don't know what I'd do without her.
Thanks for the advice and best of travels to you and all of your family.... furry or not.
Dan
Old 10-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wick View Post
Thanks yes I think the cat would be much more comfortable in a hotel room then a kennel for any extended period. While I'm traveling I do keep her in the kennel for safety sake and she's not real fond of that but she tolerates it.
Just sold my house and moved out of it into the RV with her. Only been a couple weeks and she's finally starting to adjust so I don't want to disturb her any more than I have to. First few days were pretty rough on her, poor thing. Came from a very very very quiet place with no neighbors and no traffic at all to RV parks with lots of noise and people. She's learning to adapt to that, and I'm glad.. don't know what I'd do without her.
Thanks for the advice and best of travels to you and all of your family.... furry or not.
Dan
What's some good suggestions for the cat box? Read all sorts of different things from behind couches to underneath counters to custom cubby holes. Right now I have a standard size house litter box sitting in front of the vanity in my bathroom.
It works well for her but not so much for me kind of in the way.
Any input?
Is there such a thing as an RV cat box?
Old 10-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #5

We just took delivery of our TT, it looks like the only place is in the shower. they travel in the truck with us and a dog. Never camped with them so I am sure it will be interesting. Wondering about a screen room tent for them outdoors. anyone done that?
Dee744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wick View Post
What's some good suggestions for the cat box? Read all sorts of different things from behind couches to underneath counters to custom cubby holes. Right now I have a standard size house litter box sitting in front of the vanity in my bathroom.
It works well for her but not so much for me kind of in the way.
Any input?
Is there such a thing as an RV cat box?
Our kitty has a budda box. It's not very large and fits behind the driver's seat when it's turned around to face the salon area when parked.
While traveling, I make sure it's clean and set it off to the side in one of the slides.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon does sell "portable" litter boxes but I wanted one with a lid.

Blondiega1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondiega1 View Post
Our kitty has a budda box. It's not very large and fits behind the driver's seat when it's turned around to face the salon area when parked.
While traveling, I make sure it's clean and set it off to the side in one of the slides.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon does sell "portable" litter boxes but I wanted one with a lid.

Thanks for the info I checked it out and it looks good. My girl is a solid 10 lb normal sized cat. The measurements on this are about the same as the measurements on her open box but I like the fact that it has a lid. Think it's tall/big enough for her?
I think it would work well in my RV.
Thanks again for the help.... we've only been in the RV for a month now and she is finally is settling in and getting back to her normal cat like self. Lots of new noises for her!
Best travels to you and your family, furry or not!
Dan
Old 10-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee744 View Post
We just took delivery of our TT, it looks like the only place is in the shower. they travel in the truck with us and a dog. Never camped with them so I am sure it will be interesting. Wondering about a screen room tent for them outdoors. anyone done that?
I have a separate vanity from my bathroom and I have her box in front of that cabinet now and works pretty well. We started full timing together about a month ago and it took her a while to adjust with all the new sounds and noises but she is finally settling in and looking less stressed and more happy now. Never done the screen thing as she is pretty much an indoor cat.... trying to get her on the leash, but, well you know cats!
Good luck to you all in your travels
Dan
Old 10-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #9

I have taken 3 of my cats camping. 2 are official camping kitties and one went with us last week because he had an eye infection. Our first camping kitty recently passed after 17 years. Our new camping kitty is pretty chill the only thing he has a hard time with is the carrier. He pulls at the door so hard his paws bleed. Trying to find a way to keep him safe and keep is paws in tact.

They are all leash trained. The first camping kitty took to a harness after she was older. She went for walks but only when the campground wasnít crowded. She did sit outside with us on a short leash. She was a total basket case in the camper the first trip. She adjusted and enjoyed the time but never looked out the windows much.

Our current camping kitty is still a kitten. He loves camping and being in the camper. His buddy went with us and hated the whole experience. Lol He did relax near the end and would sit on the dash at night and look out.

I know others have posted about their cats taking to the whole experience and they adjusted and now enjoys it.

When it comes to harness training on older cats, it takes time and finding the right harness. Cat harnesses are worthless mine can back out of them in a flash. I use a dog harness that has an adjustable section for the neck and body and has 2 pieces that joins them a down the chest and back. I have another soft harness that has worked well that has a nylon collar for the neck and the rest is fabric with Velcro at the stomach. I hav had my cat get out of it but it took some effort with time to grab him.

Donít let your cat out unsupervised. Cats are really liquid and there is not a harness that can contain them 100%.

If you are harnes training, donít leave it on unsupervised. Cats also find ways to get stuck in the worst ways. Back before safety collars I had a cat get the collar stuck in its mouth. Had to use pruning shears to cut it off.

And if your cat tends to be a nervous nelly I wouldnít do the tent thing. If you do make sure itís tethered too something so it doesnít turn into a cat propelled nylon mesh tumble weed. Donít kid yourself that you can catch it.

Here is a good example of why cats arenít dogs. Haha https://youtu.be/itbBljZkYlQ
Old 10-25-2018, 11:49 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our cats travel in large pet cases for their safety.

Covered litter box keeps almost all the scattered litter inside. Litter box sits in the shower.

When camped the pet cases go on top of the litter box.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:03 AM   #11

Here is the difference in dog harnesses on this website https://www.lupinepet.com/store/dogs/dog-harnesses

The step in style wonít work on a cat at all somehow I ended up with 2.

The Roman style is the one I use. There are also escape proof harnesses for cats. I doubt itís truly escape proof. At least it will slow them down enough so you can grab them. Some cats are more liquid than others. you want the collar part to be as much nylon collar as possible.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Here is the difference in dog harnesses on this website https://www.lupinepet.com/store/dogs/dog-harnesses

The step in style wonít work on a cat at all somehow I ended up with 2.

The Roman style is the one I use. There are also escape proof harnesses for cats. I doubt itís truly escape proof. At least it will slow them down enough so you can grab them. Some cats are more liquid than others. you want the collar part to be as much nylon collar as possible.
Thanks for all the info. I have one of the soft padded ones with the velcro strap on the belly. She doesn't fight it, she just flops over on her side and looks at me in that "what the hell are you doing" furrowed brow cat way. I think it's a little too much with the big padded cloth part. When we lived in the house she would get O.U.T time once a day for about 10-15 minutes under my close supervision so I think she'll learn if she wants O.U.T. time, the harness is it. Now I will open the RV door and stand in the entryway and hold her and let her look out and she really rubbernecks and sniffs lol.
She was pretty miserable the first two weeks. Hardly ate or drank, and pretty much just hid. At the house it was just her and I at the end of a dead-end road on a river with no neighbors and no noises at all so it's been a big adjustment for her. Right now I'm in the downtown area of a city with heavy traffic and semis and sirens and fire engines and the whole nine yards. Moving to a much quieter spot soon. She's finally getting used to the noises. I found her a nice box/tower thing she can hide in and she really likes it. Now she plays with her toys, looks out the windows, wakes me in the morning for breakfast and all the things she used to do She has become more of a night cat when it's quieter and has a tendency to sleep during the busy times of the day.....I get that.
Loved the video thanks for the laugh.
I will look for one of those Roman harnesses, I think that will be the way to go for her.
I can see us getting back to her 10-15 minutes O.U.T time in some of the quieter places. I really don't see her ever liking whole screen enclosure thing so probably won't even try that as she is mostly an indoor cat anyways. Seems like the 10-15 minutes is perfect. She gets her Yaya's out and settles down and doesn't mew at me.
Wish me luck with the harness and best of travels to you and your kitties... sorry about your loss glad you have a couple of other Buddies.
Best to you and your Furry FriendsClick image for larger version

Name:	1540567876105.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	223864Click image for larger version

Name:	1540567921154.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	223865Click image for larger version

Name:	1540567906801.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	223866
Old 10-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #13

When I saw the subject line I thought "no way I'd let a cat do maintenance, they need opposable thumbs and a lot more body mass."

I think their work would be as good as the typical RV "technician", though.... /nudge, wink
Old 10-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
When I saw the subject line I thought "no way I'd let a cat do maintenance, they need opposable thumbs and a lot more body mass."

I think their work would be as good as the typical RV "technician", though.... /nudge, wink
Thanks for the laughs great reply

Tags
maintenance, cat