Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #1

Clipping Labs

Recently, we decided that our black lab, Lacy, will go to Florida with us this winter. I met someone and we were discussing our love of our labs when I mentioned how much I hated the seriously bad shedding and dreaded the thought of dealing with it in our MH. When she said she had two labs and a golden, all of which were clipped about 3 times a year to cut down on shedding, I was surprised. I had never thought of having Lacy clipped. I can't even say why!

After talking to a few more people, I found a lot of people who have their heavy shedders clipped. Who knew? I certainly didn't, and I've had dogs all my life. So Lacy got her first haircut of her life (she's 13) today. I noticed right away that although she still sheds, it's much less, and it's much easier to groom her with the furminator without it pulling. She actually seemed to approve of her new hairdo.

So, I thought I'd mention it here in case someone else never thought of it. We will have to be super diligent with her heartworm preventive and get some doggie mosquito repellent, but overall I think she will be more comfortable this way.

I only wish I'd thought of it earlier, as that is the only thing I dislike about labs. Now I'm anxious for the next month to pass so I can see if she enjoys traveling with us. She loves the car, so I'm sure she'll have a blast.
jcrain9663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My daughter is, among other things, a dog groomer.

In addition there is a device you can get at one of the two big Pet places (Pet Supplies Plus and Petsmart) called an undercoat brush or undercoat rake. Links follow:

Amazon.com : Oster Professional Pet Grooming Undercoat Rake, 18 Teeth Wide, Coarse : Pet Supplies

JW Pet GripSoft Double Row Undercoat Rake at PETCO

My daughter says this one is best: Shop Pet Grooming Cleaning & De-Shedding Supplies Online | FURminator®

This one is close to what I use on my cats: http://www.wag.com/cat/p/oster-profe...appbanner=true
Old 09-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Sorry I missed this post, I was on my maiden voyage in Iowa at the time.
I have had Labs, and I too have them clipped. The furminator works "GREAT", and I used it between clips. Have a large trash bag handy when using it as you will get a shocking amount of fur. At the S&B I would pack the fur into wire suet feeders, birds and squirrels love it for nests. DW says the front line treatment probably helps with lice and such, and may detour some predators.
I want to add that I hated clipping the toe nails. My buddies hated it and hard to know where the quick is. I used my corded drumel tool once with the sanding barrel and they loved it!!! Never caused another bleeding. Worked so good I bought a cordless drumel.
I have since lost them, but my son has two German Shepard’s, so he and his wife have the furminator and the cordless drumel, and she loves them both. Son is on unaccompanied tour in Japan, on his last few months. Bethany says they make taking care of the fur and keeping the nails short much easier.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By the way.. Though she no longer does it professionally.......
(She got her Master's in Education and has returned to her first love.. Teaching, specifically Music, elementary school level, full time this year)

My daughter is a trained and experienced Dog Groomer.