Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #15

So sorry for your loss.
Haven't lost one while travelling, but there are 5 pets buried in my small back yard.
I tell people that it's like that Stephen King book, only sad instead of scary.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 07:22 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
So sorry for your loss. My wife of 49 years and I lost our very first dog when he was 10 years old. We got him as a 6 week old puppy when a co-worker gave him to my wife a few weeks before our wedding. He was hit by a car when he got loose and ran out of the yard. I don't think we ever fully recovered from the loss, and we have not had a pet since then. We do have three grand dogs and I get down on the floor with them any time we visit our sons. I love it! Maybe some day we'll have another dog.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
Last June we pulled in to Crown Villa in Bend and our 13 year old Golden had a seizure. Got her to a vet and she had cancer. They operated on her but her tumors were inoperable. We had her cremated and headed home. I get you Ice3, but I can’t be without a dog. We are picking up a new Golden/Doodle in February. I’m a glutton for punishment.
Yes, second to last was cancer. They did an CT scan and could see it was too late for surgery. Broke my heart. And the last had thyroid followed by kidney. They died exactly a year apart. The loss still makes me sad.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:32 AM   #18

We lost our Maltese 2 years ago driving through Las Cruces NM headed for Tuscon, luckily we made it to an all night vet where she was put down. They made arraignments for cremation where we could pickup the remains 2 nights later or have them shipped. Sounded like they deal with this scenario fairly often. Her loss sure cast a shadow over the next 10 weeks of the trip.

Took 2 years to recover enough to want another, which we got 2 weeks ago.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:08 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzatm View Post
Has anyone ever lost a pet while traveling on vacation? It happened to us recently while traveling from Ohio to Myrtle Beach. We had to pull into a rest area because our male Yorkie, Rudy, started breathing heavily and we thought he was nervous because he had to go to the bathroom. He didn’t do anything so brought him back inside the RV. Then we noticed his tongue was turning purple and he lost consciousness. He died within a few minutes. We were devastated and stayed at the rest area for over an hour trying to decide whether to continue on our trip or turn around and head back home.

Since we had already made reservations, we decided to continue on to MB. We placed Rudy in a plastic bag and put him in the freezer because we were about 450 miles from our destination. We arrived at MB on a Sunday. Monday was spent making phone calls until we located a Pet Crematory about 25 miles from our campground. A week later we picked up his ashes. It was the worst vacation we ever had.
Sorry for your loss, we had a similar experience on the way to NY from AZ. At the campground we lost our little girl due to heart attack. We called a local vet office to see if they could recommend a vet service that did cremation. We had her cremated and remains sent back to our home for pickup when we got back.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #20

Deepest sympathies for your loss of Rudy. [emoji17]
Nonnie KRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:49 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
We lost our cat Annie to an unknown autoimmune disease while traveling in Arizona in 2014. One day she was fine, the next she was listless and hardly responsive. We took her to the local cat vet in Tucson, where they ran tests and said her blood count was way off and she needed a transfusion. Tucson has a animal hospital with one of the few blood banks in the area. She got her transfusion and we left early for home. The day before we got home, we noticed she was severely jaundiced. When we got home we rushed her to our local vet but she said there really was no hope. So we had her euthanized. Needless to say we were gutted. I had raised her since she was an 8 week old kitten, she was only 11.
So yes, we get it. It is awful losing a beloved pet. So sorry you had to go through this.
Sounds almost exactly like what happened to my late wife's favorite 6 yr old Japanese Bobtail three months ago. Meds brought her back once and she had another decent month but that was it. Meds wouldn't work again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170411_221117.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	232275  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #22

I think someone must be chopping onions near by.....
We have never lost a pet on the road, but lost our little beagle about a year ago, my wife and I still miss her dearly and still get choked up when the subject comes up. That is the only thing that sucks about having a dog, they don't last as long as us....
Sorry for your loss, and a seemingly ruined vacation...
Old 01-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #23

Our cat died late at night at the Avi koa in Laughlin. We didn't have a load so I put him in an outside compartment and the next morning drove him in the motorhome to an animal hospital. We paid $10 and then went back to the campground. It was a difficult time. Sorry for your lost.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnie KRC View Post
Deepest sympathies for your loss of Rudy. [emoji17]
Our 13 year old pug passed away in Perry Ga rally last year. Very sad. Local vet was great.Had to put her down (complete renal falure). They took great pains to
In handeling her and sent the ashes in a beautiful box with her paw prints and lock of hair. Her room mate of 10 yrs was very depressed. We wound up getting 2 new puppies to help her along. It worked great. We now call her grandma Cloe.[emoji23] Sorry for your lose.[emoji307]Click image for larger version

Name:	20180817_215341.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	232291
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #26

Forzatm, we have no pets now but have dealt with the death of pets in the past. I can only imagine how bad the ordeal was for you. My heart goes out to you.

FWIW, I feel you made the right decision to continue. You could dedicate the trip to Rudy's memory.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #27

My heart dog, a 15 y/o black Lab named Spot, died when we were in a fairly remote area of Alaska over by Copper River. It was the best dog death of any I have had - she got up in the morning, ate breakfast, went for a walk with me, then came back in the MH and went to sleep. About 20 minutes later I noticed that she hadn't moved. Permafrost made burial impractical, so we drove 200 miles to an emergency clinic (it was Sunday) in Anchorage that took care of cremation.

If you have a pet die while traveling, a vet should be able to arrange cremation. If after hours most cities of any size have an emergency clinic. Thank God for Internet.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacerm View Post
My heart dog, a 15 y/o black Lab named Spot, died when we were in a fairly remote area of Alaska over by Copper River. It was the best dog death of any I have had - she got up in the morning, ate breakfast, went for a walk with me, then came back in the MH and went to sleep. About 20 minutes later I noticed that she hadn't moved. Permafrost made burial impractical, so we drove 200 miles to an emergency clinic (it was Sunday) in Anchorage that took care of cremation.

If you have a pet die while traveling, a vet should be able to arrange cremation. If after hours most cities of any size have an emergency clinic. Thank God for Internet.
My condolences[emoji177] same thing happened in Ga. Last march. Local vet was amazing and compationet. Took care of everything sent ashes and paw print ceramic with a stand and beautiful wooden box. Still, very hard on the heart. Have since acquired 2 new pugs to keep out 11 yr old Cloe company. Has worked great.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181201_201853.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	233055Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1530567977812.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	233056Click image for larger version

Name:	20180817_215341.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	233057