Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Dexter Crossed Over the Rainbow Bridge

Early this morning, one of our Doxie FurKids crossed over the Rainbow Bridge while we slept.

Dexter was a Black and Tan standard Dachshund we adopted from a rescue organization (DRNA) about 5 years ago when he was about 9 years old. We don't know much about his time before coming to us, other than it was hard. He was originally from Pennsylvania, and had been adopted and returned several times because he was a runner. When we got him, he had very little fur on his snout due to stress. And, yes, he liked to run. If he got out the door with out his leash, you were in for an hour of hide and chase - he loved it!

Under my wonderful wife's care, he gained weight and got his beautiful coat back. Dexter loved car rides and camping, walks, his water fountain and of course his food.

The last few months were hard on Dexie, he had (we think) Cushing Disease which caused weight gain, bloating (a pot-belly appearance) increased appetite and thirst, panting, and weakness, all symptoms Dexie had. In the last few month he was only able to walk a few steps before having to rest.

One thing that can be said for sure, in the twilight of his life he was truly loved and returned that love tenfold.

We are going to miss Dexter terribly, but he will always be in our heart and thoughts as he romps around in Puppy Heaven with all our other pets and all the other puppies,

Rick & Deb
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #2

Bless you for the great life you gave Dexter in his older years. He deserved the love you gave him. Run free and play hard Dexter! You will be there when your loved ones come.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #3

Sorry for you loss. It's always sad to hear of the death of a loved one. Makes me sad to think of when my Sadie (min pin) has to go over the Rainbow bridge. She's only 8, so has a long life left.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Rick & Deb,
I am so very sorry for your lose,we definitely know how you feel.We lost one of our Mini Doxie about 4 yrs.ago and still miss her everyday.We still Have Harley and Gracie.Harley is 12 yrs.old and Gracie is 9 yrs.old.Harley has what they call reverse sneezing which gets really bad at times and we have to give her a benidryle and that helps for awhile.I know you will miss her but,it will get easier with time.Good Luck and be Safe.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Papaw.1:

Yeah, Dexter had the problem with reverse sneezes also. Really scared us the first few times it happened as we didn't know what it was. We didn't know about giving him a benidryle but his attacks usually only lasted a few minutes.

Rick
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
So sorry to hear of your loss, it is so hard on the heart to loose a beloved fur baby .... He is at Rainbow Bridge and will be there when you arrive to greet you.

Blessings. E
Old 12-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I know how much your loss hurts, but just remember he is no longer in pain. (((HUGS))) Thank you for giving him a good life. I have two rescue dogs who are very spoiled now.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote