Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
As most of you know, I have two dogs . . . Fancy, a 45 lb. German Pinscher and Gracie, a 4.5 pound chihuahua who is my service dog. Because Gracie is my service dog, she gets to go everywhere with me - EVERYWHERE. But poor Fancy is left in the rig a lot when I go out. I feel really sorry for her when I have to leave her but I also worry myself silly about the AC or power going out and now I worry about fires. She LOVES to run . . . and she doesn't get to run that often. A good long walk with me is the highlight of her day - that and laying in the sun when I take her outside and hook her up to a leash. Anyway - a couple here in Denver who have two male dobermans have fallen in love with her and want to adopt her. I do not want to get rid of her - even though she's a love bug, she makes me feel safe because she looks intimidating and dobies have that reputation of being protective. But if I put her needs first, this might be best for her. She would have company and room to run all the time - would never be alone and in an RV for hours on end when I go out. This is KILLING me . . . but I feel like I should do what's best for her - and not what's best for me. Do any of you have this guilt over leaving the dogs behind when you go out? Are your dogs relatively happy with the RV life? Am I just being super-sensitive??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #2

As most of you know, I have two dogs . . . Fancy, a 45 lb. German Pinscher and Gracie, a 4.5 pound chihuahua who is my service dog. Because Gracie is my service dog, she gets to go everywhere with me - EVERYWHERE. But poor Fancy is left in the rig a lot when I go out. I feel really sorry for her when I have to leave her but I also worry myself silly about the AC or power going out and now I worry about fires. She LOVES to run . . . and she doesn't get to run that often. A good long walk with me is the highlight of her day - that and laying in the sun when I take her outside and hook her up to a leash. Anyway - a couple here in Denver who have two male dobermans have fallen in love with her and want to adopt her. I do not want to get rid of her - even though she's a love bug, she makes me feel safe because she looks intimidating and dobies have that reputation of being protective. But if I put her needs first, this might be best for her. She would have company and room to run all the time - would never be alone and in an RV for hours on end when I go out. This is KILLING me . . . but I feel like I should do what's best for her - and not what's best for me. Do any of you have this guilt over leaving the dogs behind when you go out? Are your dogs relatively happy with the RV life? Am I just being super-sensitive??
Old 09-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #3

I cannot give you any advice regarding whether Fancy would be happier in an adopted home or stay with you.

One thing I can suggest regarding calming some of your fears is to have an Auto Gen Start system installed (Onan EC-30, for example)which will start the generator when the AC is called on and there is no power. In the event of a power failure, the generator will start automatically, and keep Fancy and the coach cool.

I installed one in my coach for exactly that reason.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #4

Its a hard decision,but if your feeling like this you know in your heart what you need to do.
7 years ago I had to give up my Stafforshire.I met my wife, got married and she fell in love with our house ,we bought it My homeowners insurance wouldnt cover me with my dog,same as the new town we live in has AB legislation.Tough choice,but had to do it.Angel ended up with a friend who just lost his pitbull,thats luck.She is still around.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
I share your fears concerning power outages and fires also. But, I tell myself it is no different than if they are at home either. So I live with it. I KNOW, I am over sensitive. We have our Pom Foxy, and for companionship, we have our cat Socks. That way neither of them are ever alone. Sometimes we will go out and take Foxy with us, but that doesn't matter to Socks. She's a cat an cats are pretty independent. I would suggest trying to adopt a kitten, if your dogs are sociable enough for that. A kitten will bond with them, and provide a companion for Fancy while you are away. I could never give up one of my fur babies.
Again, it is really no different than if you were living in a house and going to work every day. They lay around, all day, and when you get home, they cover you with love. Then you commit yourself to spending some good fun time with them each day, or evening, whichever.
Everyone is different. This is just how I deal with this situation. Hope it helps.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:14 AM   #6

This is a very tough call. We think, because you question it yourself, that you know what would be best for your Dobie. It is very hard to make these decisions. We had to let our dear Star cross the Rainbow Bridge not long ago, very, very hard.
Take care and God Bless...Jack&Rita
Old 09-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #7

Fancy and I are going to visit a lady that has a dobie and her sister on Saturday. They own a home in Colorado with a large fenced yard and over an acre of land. They really want another dobie and understand the dobie personality. I've "interviewed" several people and these are the only people I have felt totally comfortable about meeting. One day I want to keep her, the next day she's just miserable and making me miserable - especially since it's been pouring down rain here. So - we shall see! If I do feel comfortable about their adopting her, we're going to take it slow and have visits and not just do it overnight. She loves everyone so I don't think she will even miss me when she has the other doggies, 24 hour a day attention and a big yard to run around in . . .
Old 09-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #8

The lady lives in a nice house way out in the country with a big fenced yard, another dobie, and her sister's dog. She has horses, rabbits, chickens, geese . . . she's a major animal lover. Fancy will be allowed to lie on the sofa, sleep in the bed with her, run around outside and lay in the sun when the lady is home, and have the run of the house when she is gone. I sat and watched her run and play and have a wonderful time yesterday. I left her overnight and she did look for me when she first came into the house, but I called and checked on her this morning and she was doing just great. I was going to go back out today but I'm going to give her a week, then go check on her next weekend. I'm afraid if I go out today I may want to bring her home. I know this is the best for her - to find someone that loves dogs as much as this woman does to the point that she literally gives her house over to them is rare. This is just the kind of life Fancy deserves. Treats, friends, and a house that has no limits for her comfort. Still, it breaks my heart to leave her and I've been on a crying jag since I left her there. Even Gracie is looking for her.

A Dog's Purpose (from a 6-year-old).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are Shorter than human lives. Shane,
who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. .

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long..'

Live simply..

Love generously.

Care deeply.

Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily..

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY
MOMENT
Old 09-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #9

Fancy made the decision for me. She took a chunk out of the dobie at her new home so I have to go get her. I'm a little nervous about her being around Gracie right now. She has NEVER been aggressive - even though Gracie has been aggressive towards HER, she's never retaliated. So I don't know what is going on with her. But I'm picking her up this afternoon. I say things happen for a reason - obviously she was meant to be with me.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Sounds like a job for Cesar Milan of the Dog Whisperer.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #11

Don't I wish!!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I would think her aggression stems from the new environment. Once she's home with the two of you she'll be content and calm down. Good luck.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #13

I went to pick her up today and she was so happy, she didn't even care if I was there or not. She walked up to me and let me pet her, but no excited hopping around or anything. When I left, she wouldn't even come in the house - she was having too much fun outside even though I called her several times.

So - she's staying where she is. I'll find a lower energy, more devoted dobie in the future. She's always been the kind of dog that loved EVERYONE and would go up to EVERYONE. Unlike Gracie who doesn't want to have anything to do with anyone except ME . . .

I'm heartbroken but I'll get over it. She's happy and that's what matters.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
GM, If you're looking for a great pet that is very adaptable, I would suggest an American Bulldog (Johnson type) Zeus is the most laid back calm dog you will ever meet. No barking, jumping and loves all the other animals including the baby squirrel our son brought home, we have pictures of him sitting on Zeus' head. He's adopted our kitten who now follows when we go for walks. On top of all that when people first see him he's better than my 12ga. keeping them at bay. I guess you could say I'm biased.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote