Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
It appears there are service dogs and then "service dogs". An 8 month old fully trained service dog is exceptional.

This website says you can register a service dog for $59.00.

US Service Dogs | Service Dog Registration and Products | Get your dog registered as a service dog!

Our daughter raises puppies to qualify to be a service dog. They are screened for suitable characteristics and then put into a serious training session.

We have heard that folks will license a dog as a service dog so they can take them into restaurants and on airlines for free.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #16

We travel with a 60 pound mixed breed rescue dog (found stray on the streets) that has bully physical characteristics (head with smile, muscular build and haunches) but we've never had her tested for breed. She has a sweet temperament and is much nicer than our 28 pound cocker spaniel.

we don't characterize her as a pit bull and we've never had an issue in our travels
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
It appears there are service dogs and then "service dogs". An 8 month old fully trained service dog is exceptional.

This website says you can register a service dog for $59.00.

US Service Dogs | Service Dog Registration and Products | Get your dog registered as a service dog!
How do you know if a service dog registration organization is a scam? Because they offer to certify your dog as a service dog for a fee.

THER ARE NO SUCH ORGANIZATIONS, THEY ARE ALL SCAMS.

So if someone shows you such a registration card for a service dog it's a fake. Training documents might be real but not certifications. Therapy dogs are different but then we are not service dogs however we are insured.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:02 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a very informative document published by the ADA here www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #19

I'm thinking if you're looking for trouble, you'll have no trouble finding it. If you're looking to avoid it, you won't have any trouble either. There's something to be said for common sense.

Struggling with the idea of an 8 month old service dog here as well.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #20

We travel everywhere with out two small Rhodesian Ridgebacks (95 and 85 pounds). Never had any issues. It's always disappointing to see breed restrictions at campgrounds, even if we don't own any of the breeds.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I travel with 2 Rottweilers.. 156lbs the other 148lbs... Never had an issue or a complaint from anyone... And I dont do business with any places that has breed restrictions of any kind....
Old 06-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
We leave our animals at home in a kennel so we can all enjoy
the camping experience. Our dogs did not enjoy camping.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #23

Do you bring your large dog with you?

Nope!

We bring our little dog!...

with his BIG attitude!

DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:11 AM   #24

I have a park . that I have 20to 50 RV'S come for gatherings, we have sat around the Fire and discussed that subject many times... The most important issues are Keep them on a leash, and controlled At all times. and clean up there poop. Then you always have the Owner that says . My dog goes way over out of the way....... I have 2 dogs I clean up after my dogs, As should Every Pet owner.... Now as for the leash issue . . My Shz uoe Have been attacked by other dogs . 3 times while my dogs were on leash's.. It cost the other owners dearly... Most every State Has a leash law.. And most owners are not aware of that.. A big dog came to mine raised his paw and took out my dogs eye, it was a terrible experience, Now I must ask did that owner have his dog under control.. And who is liable the dog owner, or the campground owner. as I paid for a safe place to stay ???? attorneys Love those claims.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1460.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	96182  
tony Bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:48 AM   #25

Overall I've found that you'll more likely to fine a little dog with a bit attitude and a big dog that's aggressive. True it depends on the dog and the training but i've found little dogs to be more likely to nip.

As far as picking up after your dog if you don't you shouldn't have one. However, I really think parks should be much more proactive and supply poop stations for their guests. I suspect they will get much better compliance if they do.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:54 AM   #26

I CAN UNDERSTAND that SOME ARE HESITANT TO BELIEVE An 8 1/2 MONTH OLD LAB/ PIT BULL MIX COULD BE A SERVICE Dog ....She is a very special Dog, We put her into training at an early age into the puppy class and the first day the trainer said she is so smart and knows everything and put her into Adult Dog 2 class right away, From there she has excelled in advanced training. She has passed all tests with the American Kennel Club, and more advanced training to be able to help me with my health issues that are prescribed by my Dr. stating I need a Service Dog . She wears a Service Dog vest, and I carry all documentation with me in case I have to prove something. I have health issues that require me to have a Service Dog that are not apparent by just looking at me. We do not go to parks that we know in advance do not allow Dogs, just because we don't agree with that, even though we could still go with our Dog. I really hate the fact that there are people who fake the Service Dog thing to take advantage of something they are not in titled to. It makes it hard on the rest of us who need one. And we always pick up after our Dog and other Dogs that we see left something behind by their owners who are just to lazy to do the right thing.
Giancarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #27

Giancarlo, you do have a special dog and I hope she is with you for a long time.

As far as carrying paperwork with you the only thing I think you should carry is the DOJ Service Animals Guide guide for those that are not educated. Even then there are businesses that will still refuse you but those that have found out what the legal system does to those that do.

I would suggest that any other paperwork, other than the letter from your doctor but I would not carry it on your person, is not only not legally required and in fact may suggest that you're not on the up and up.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Overall I've found that you'll more likely to fine a little dog with a bit attitude and a big dog that's aggressive. True it depends on the dog and the training but i've found little dogs to be more likely to nip.
I always chuckle when someone with an aggressive small dog tells me 'he thinks he is a big dog' (while they coddle him and tell him it's OK, which is just encouraging the behavior...). If my big dogs acted that way, people would be scared crazy and I wouldn't be allowed anywhere.

When an off-leash dog runs at my dogs like a rabid animal, my dogs 'magically' get off leash too. The other dogs are almost always coming over to say 'Hi' but if there is any aggression, it's not fair that my dogs can't escape because they are on leash.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote