Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #57

I don't want to make anyone mad, just want to input my experiences. I used to work as an animal control officer. During that time the number of dogs that I came across that were "bad" were 4 to 1 in favor of the small breeds over the large breeds. Most all the pits, rots, shepherds and all the others were very nice dogs. Rarely did I cone across one that was mean. I had more issues with the small breeds that I ever had with any large breed.
Again this is just my personal experience not every dog out there.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #58

I've found the same thing when I'm out with my two large dogs. Little dogs want to show how tough they are but larger dogs just want to say high. Little dogs are not called ankle bitters for nothing.

However when it comes to small dogs the breed does make a difference. I've rarely found breeds like a King Charles acting up but tarriers can be some of the worst.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #59

Send a message via AIM to cornelljd Send a message via MSN to cornelljd Send a message via Yahoo to cornelljd
We travel with our German Shepherd and Golden Retriever on all our trips. Both are well trained and we have not had any issues so far with camp grounds refusing us access. The shepherd seems to be the hit of the park and everyone wants to pet him since Golden's are more common. We do always check the pet policies when we reserve a camp sit in advanced, and contact the owners if we have a question about there pet policies.
cornelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL Z View Post
Do you bring your large dog with you?

Nope!

We bring our little dog!...

with his BIG attitude!

The little dogs bark and bite more than the big dogs. The reason the big dogs get such a bad rap is that their bark is louder and if/when they do bite..the bite is bigger/deeper.
newmarrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
Have you had any problems with having your Dog with you ?
Any R.V. parks ever say no Dog's allowed ?

Has anyone had a problem with a Large Dog ( she is 8 months old and 65 pounds ) and or Pit Bull 's being out restricted at R.V. parks ?

( being a service Dog by law I can take her any where the American Disabilities Act assures that but just curious what others have encountered )
Always with us.

Never been rejected.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #62

Smile Never had a problem

I have a 65 pound American Pit Bull Terrier Service Dog well behaved and friendly. I have never been questioned. She/ Cookie goes everywhere with me. Love me...Love my Dog.
Giancarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #63

Ford Super Duty Owner
wife has a rottie 95lb she is a service dog. very good dog everyone love her only she don't like other dogs when she is on leach coming to close to my wife or me just keeping us safe.off the leash will play with about any dog But we never had a problem at camp grounds or hotels not any place I can think of Just enjoy and let people know she is not for show but for your needs
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:33 PM   #64

I am making plan to travel this spring and want my Rottie and Lab with me. Do you know of a list of CGs that are Rott friendly? This is our first long trip outside CA and we are headed to the Southwest.
Windtalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #65

You need to contact the R.V. parks when you know what area you will be in . You won't have a problem with the Lab, but the Rottie could be a problem at some parks. Unless of course he is a Service Dog then there is no problem.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Not only do we bring our beagle on every trip, it's his MH.
I am only the driver.
In fact, the Journey is named "Harley's Doghouse".
Old 10-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
You need to contact the R.V. parks when you know what area you will be in . You won't have a problem with the Lab, but the Rottie could be a problem at some parks. Unless of course he is a Service Dog then there is no problem.
Hmmm... Maybe he's not a rottie, but is actually a mix of unknown origins? It's tough to ban a mix-breed...
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #68

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL Z View Post
Do you bring your large dog with you?

Nope!

We bring our little dog!...

with his BIG attitude!

I've got a size 12 steel-toe hiking boot that would tell him who he's dealing with. Then again, my Springers just might mistake him for a rodent and run him down!

Seriously though, that is a great "little dog" picture.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarrv View Post
The little dogs bark and bite more than the big dogs. The reason the big dogs get such a bad rap is that their bark is louder and if/when they do bite..the bite is bigger/deeper.

If a dog is well trained it does not matter what size it is.....When a Dog has bad manners and or is mean, Blame the owner, Not the Dog.
The Dog always gets the bad rap...that is not fair to the Dog.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarrv View Post
As to the bark between a small and large I'd rather hear the larger dog. Little dogs barks are like fingernails on a chalkboard.

As to the bite, yes a large dogs bite will be deeper but large dogs are generally less likely to bite.