Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
My rule has always been, if we are moving vehicle the cats are in a crate, when but given the length of some of our trips it is no longer practical. It makes me nervous but there isn't much I can do ... they need access to the litter box, water and food when we are on the road for several hours.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #16

Don't travel with animals (right now that is, looking at some corgi puppies later this week) but is this what riding with cats is like? The are always in control....

RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:22 PM   #17

Well folks, I hate to be a wet blanket here but here goes. I'm new in the RV arena, but long in the tooth in police work. 20 years in patrol which as you can guess includes several hundred accident investigations many of which were minor injuries due to seat belts, but fatal...yep...FATAL to jettisoned animals. We love our pets...deeply I might add. We love our young two-legged children as well, but would you take a chance letting your 2 year old curl up on a blanket on the dash as you fly down the highway at 70 mph? of course not, so why in the world would we put the other loves in our lives in such a dangerous situation? I've seen pet owners have to be hospitalized with grief when confronted with reality...that being that they didn't get a scratch in their minor fender bender, but their cute lap dog broke his neck when his owner's vehicle went from 25 to zero in a crash. I'm so sorry for being so graphic folks, but, I'm a realist and I lived the reality that I speak of. We can try to justify that we've been letting "fluffy" roam at will for 10 years with no issues. Granted, that could be a testament to your good driving skills, but, in reality, it's more a testament to the fact that you have yet to have an encounter of the closet kind with that bozo who happened to stare too long at his cell phone GPS and didn't see you until the last minute. OK, here's the last piece of graphic info I will lay on you, a sudden stop as a result of a solid crash means your cat/dog/rabbit or whatever, who happens to be (as some of you have stated) somewhere in the coach, will be jettisoned into the first hard object it encounters on it's way towards the windshield...your animal will sustain a major life altering injury but based on my experience...will more than likely die an unnececessary death simply because some of you don't want to make your fur children uncomfortable in a crate for your two to 4 hour road trip. Give it thought folks.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #18

We're new to the site but have been travelling with pets for 20+ yrs. With our first C class our small dog had the run of the place and our cats refused to travel with us.
The last 10 years or so we've gotten past the thinking that it'll never happen to us. ("It" did happen and we all survived)
Since then our dogs are always in harnesses. Our current cat has decided that she wants to travel with us and has no problems with being in her crate for extend trips. She travels in a hard crate with a small litterbox. When we stop for breaks, fuel or to take the dog out, she gets her ears scratched and has access to her food and water.
I agree with Donut lover and I'm sure they'd rather be free to roam the vehicle,it's soooo much safer for them to be crated/tethered. And I really don't want a 20 pound projectile flying around while I'm trying to avoid something.
Minidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minidb View Post
We're new to the site but have been travelling with pets for 20+ yrs. With our first C class our small dog had the run of the place and our cats refused to travel with us.
The last 10 years or so we've gotten past the thinking that it'll never happen to us. ("It" did happen and we all survived)
Since then our dogs are always in harnesses. Our current cat has decided that she wants to travel with us and has no problems with being in her crate for extend trips. She travels in a hard crate with a small litterbox. When we stop for breaks, fuel or to take the dog out, she gets her ears scratched and has access to her food and water.
I agree with Donut lover and I'm sure they'd rather be free to roam the vehicle,it's soooo much safer for them to be crated/tethered. And I really don't want a 20 pound projectile flying around while I'm trying to avoid something.
Yep...there you go...a few hours of inconvenience rewards you with a (pet's) lifetime of love and compassion. Minidb, on behalf of your pets, thanks for doing the right thing.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat