Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #29

Dog attack

Use the product but you were right in reporting it to the campground, I have used pepper spray before on aggressive dogs while riding my bike and believe me it will get his attention quick. I love dogs but the only way they will learn not to attack is some type of action on your part as it is obvious the owners are not going to do anything about the issue.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here's a thought:

You might also consider a squirt gun. Less aggressive/painful for the dog but I guarantee he'll hate it, and remember you. I don't recommend one that actually looks like a gun- reasons obvious.

If I were arming myself, I'd choose one of those longbarreled pump-type ones that hold several cups of water. Fill it with something that won't hurt the dog but will make a big mess for the owner...vegetable oil comes to mind. Or maple syrup! Or Kool-Aid, the redder the better...that stuff stains, you know. And when he comes at you, let him have the whole barrel. Douse him good!

Imagine the Bad Owner getting any of those all over his RV when Fido comes running home!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #31

This discussion has me thinking. I wonder if there is a small enough CO2 fire extinguisher that might work? I understand that you don't like to make waves, I don't either. And sometimes you can't fix stupid. But I wonder if there is such a thing? Would seem to be a nontoxic thing and probably pretty effective. I will check some sources. Believe me, Sewing up animals after a dog fight can be horrible, and if you instinctually get your hands in there to break things up you too could be in. Real trouble.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Here's a thought:

You might also consider a squirt gun. Less aggressive/painful for the dog but I guarantee he'll hate it, and remember you. I don't recommend one that actually looks like a gun- reasons obvious.

If I were arming myself, I'd choose one of those longbarreled pump-type ones that hold several cups of water. Fill it with something that won't hurt the dog but will make a big mess for the owner...vegetable oil comes to mind. Or maple syrup! Or Kool-Aid, the redder the better...that stuff stains, you know. And when he comes at you, let him have the whole barrel. Douse him good!

Imagine the Bad Owner getting any of those all over his RV when Fido comes running home!
texas pete + super soaker = respectful dog & informed owner
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin

Who or what is Texas Pete?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Who or what is Texas Pete?
Similar to Tabasco sauce. Get a gallon jug at Costco.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #35

Would you mind someone using it on your dogs?

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin

Tabasco sauce.
Wouldn't that be Louisiana Pete?
Lived in Tx most of my life and must have missed it on the grocery shelf.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Tabasco would stain all right...but it might burn if it gets in the dog's eyes.

We're lookin' for ammo here that will freak out but not really hurt the dog. Something that the owner will never forget once the dog gets home covered with it...is "skunk spray" available in convenient liquid form?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post

Don
If my dogs had attacked someone's pet 9 times, no I wouldn't mind at all.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye

Don
So what would you do? What would you expect if you let your dog or dogs run lose and they attacked someones dog which is apparently the case here, what would you expect to happen? Help us out here. I have already said spray the owner and the dog under the circumstances listed above.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Tabasco would stain all right...but it might burn if it gets in the dog's eyes.

We're lookin' for ammo here that will freak out but not really hurt the dog. Something that the owner will never forget once the dog gets home covered with it...is "skunk spray" available in convenient liquid form?
The idea is to burn the dogs eyes if he is attacking. Tabasco is much milder than the pepper spray the OP was going to use. It also is non-toxic and biodegradable.

Freak out without hurting? How about silly string?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
So what would you do? What would you expect if you let your dog or dogs run lose and they attacked someones dog which is apparently the case here, what would you expect to happen? Help us out here. I have already said spray the owner and the dog under the circumstances listed above.

I would soak them with spray and if the owners came after me I would soak them too.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #42
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksmom View Post
This discussion has me thinking. I wonder if there is a small enough CO2 fire extinguisher that might work? I understand that you don't like to make waves, I don't either. And sometimes you can't fix stupid. But I wonder if there is such a thing? Would seem to be a nontoxic thing and probably pretty effective. I will check some sources. Believe me, Sewing up animals after a dog fight can be horrible, and if you instinctually get your hands in there to break things up you too could be in. Real trouble.
if you can either find a loggers oriented saw shop where they sell chainsaws or loggers supply you will be able to buy 16oz co2 fire extinguishers
they are a one use shot. they should also sell there holders that hang on your belt. I have several as we are required to have them during fire season. they are also available online.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote