Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #57

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd think that if you go to a campground and advise the owner of their responsibilities and liabilities, you might be looking for a new campsite.
I agree, but not to sound too flippant: I would already be hooked up and on my way out when I did inform the owner.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #58

Maybe this is apples to oranges, since I have yet to live in an RV park. I grew up in a trailer park, though if that counts.

When I first moved to GA last year I found a seemingly quiet neighborhood and rented a small shotgun house. My dog, who was used to running free in Louisiana since he was a puppy, promptly got loose to go exploring. The neighbors had a few dogs, including an American bulldog that was overly aggressive. He saw my dog, jumped the fence and started sniffing. The neighbor's daughter came over to try to get the dog as I got a hold of mine and the bulldog got defensive, welcoming me with a nice deep bite on the arm. I could have (and maybe should have) called the police and filed a complaint, but instead I did self-aid and made a mental note not to let that happen again. I don't think I have rabies yet...

A few months later my dog dug under the house and got loose again. The bulldog jumped the fence (he did so anytime he saw my dog in my own fenced-in yard) and started to attack my dog. I had just gotten home and was in uniform, so I got a little dirty choking the hell out of the bulldog as he was clamped down on my lab's neck.

I usually carry a sidearm but the last thing I wanted to do was kill or maim my neighbor's dog. Still, he was muscular and aggressive, and I had no intent of getting bit again or allowing my own dog to lose a life or death fight. I learned a couple of months ago that the neighbor's wife had to have the bulldog put down while her husband was in Afghanistan. The dog had just killed one of her relative's pets, and I guess she had the choice of putting the dog down or facing criminal charges.

No one likes aggressive dogs. It is one thing to train them to protect your property, but when you are renting a shared property (as my neighbor and I were) or living in a confined area like an RV or trailer park you should take your responsibilities as an owner very seriously.
fm2176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #59

THis is why I emphasize the need to "speak for the animal" - and that is usually to a limited-intelligence owner...who probably believes that all animals are just plush 'toys' and can be happy lawn ornaments. You may allow them the one time 'grace' {if nothing overly serious has resulted...and you are partially to blame with your dog escaping as well} yet I would consider the bite you received warranted a talk with the owner and I 'd have no problem using the family member as the conduit of backing up said message/incident. once they are informed of the seriousness of what has transpired - now the responsibility completely lies with them.
unfortunately the red zone behavior displayed by the dog is usually pent up unused - what I like to call - "stupid-energy" (encounter it a lot with thorobred/stallion horses too) NO animal is deserving of continual confinement (and even a 'yard' becomes 4 walls as well ) it is cruel and wreaks havoc on the psyche of all animals. I believe you did not contact 'authorities' first time as you saw your own dogs escaping as partially responsible, and yet it has now happened again...eventually leading to another pets death = that is truly sad.
All dogs require strenuous/challenging activity at minimum 2/3 times a week - as well as consistent long walks twice daily (or why bother having a dog??) Unless there are definitive health reasons the dog cannot go the distance...well their 'escaping' is a cry of need for more challenging activity. Possibly enroll them with a dog-day-camp (NOt a dog day care) These camps are usually someone's acreage that is turned into a dogs serious playground. There are other dogs for them to socialize with, all under watchful responsible understanding guardians that will challenge the dogs physically & mentally while there. Trust me they come home happy contented dogs - tired and spent. Or even use a professional dog walker a couple times of week - if you are currently unable to challenge/tire them yourself. Sometimes sharing the responsibility with a capable 2nd guardian can do wonders for deepening the bond with your dog as they learn things from another and become even more attuned to the different 'energies'.
Having a dog is not unlike having a child = they all have specific needs. The 'breed' is secondary to the basic needs of any animal that we strive to keep healthy and balanced both physically and mentally.
Some interesting back ground of the pitbull lies in its name = created to lead/bring down bulls {NOT FIRST BRED FOR FIGHTING as many tout} they are a strong breed and its in the muscle structure of their jaw line. I honestly think every owner should be bit at least once by their dog = to educate them of the potential seriousness of allowing bad behavior to ever take root. THis includes allowing small dogs to yap incessantly...an invitation for other dogs to pounce to shut them up! THAT is dog language - and barking is an attack in its own way. More people are bit by small dogs every year - but rarely is it reported as most are too embarrassed, or they choose to believe the bite is not as serious = yet it again is a cry for exercise/help from a neglected animal.
Thanks for sharing your experience ~fm2156~ this really is an important classroom that all dog guardians need to be more aware of.

fre2bjacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #60

If the owners can't see what harm their own dog is causing, then I wouldn't even waste my time talking to them, I would take the problem straight to management. Rules are put in place for a reason, and there will always be people who believe rules do not apply to them. For that reason they will more than likely not be receptive to anything you have to say. Take it straight to the top, and protect yourselves and your dog!
hillbillyhtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyeszz View Post
Hi,

My question is would you use it on this dog.
Louisville Slugger. About a 34"
Whizzer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by binspector View Post
I would be very nice about it and tell the owner of the dog, that this has happened before and it will not be tolerated any longer. If they cant control their dog, then I would report it. There is no reason you should have to put your dog through these attacks any longer. Either that, or get a pit bull and see if their dog wants to attack it.

WOW, binspecter although i wholeheartedly agree with you about being nice when discussing with the dog's owner, the end of your post struck me as completely inappropriate. do you think that the jack russell in question would automatically second guess it's decision to attack because it "recognizes" a pit bull as a bully breed? doubtful. if anything, the smaller dog would become more aggressive as it would feel threatened by the size of the bigger dog, not the breed. comments like "get a pit bull and see if their dog wants to attack it" only contribute to peoples' misunderstanding of the so-called aggressive breeds.
acontella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #63

Carolina Campers
Dog attack question

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyeszz View Post
.....My question is would you use it on this dog.

You know this is the right thing to do. You are just looking for validation to do what is right.

It sounds like you tried the nice way and the passive way already, don't let it happen to you again, or others. You are in the wrong to not do something IMHO.

Aren't your dogs part of your family? You would not let them get by with it even once if it was a child, or if they attacked the DW, or chased someone when driving on a bike, so don't let it go when it is your dog.

Reason is what sets us apart from dogs...

I will take along the most potent spray, every time myself and the wife go bike riding. I frankly don't care if the dog gets hurt, that is the owners responsibility by teaching (or allowing) their dog to be aggressive. They are the ones that are hurting the dog. Everyone with a dog take notice, I will spray any dog that chases me. Yes, the owner is responsible for always keeping their dos(s) on a leash and/or tether. If a dog is attacking, my concern is for my self and my families safety, not the dogs safety.

I will hold the owner responsible if anyone in my family is threatened, regardless if the even have their dog(s) leashed or tethered. I don't stand for unruly animals, even when tethered, because children may wander too close, etc.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #64

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me re-write so it is a fictional story...

You have two young children.. The neighbor camper has an older and bigger child which is a 1st class bully and has beaten up your kids.

Do you contact the park manager? Buzz the Fuzz? Call Ben Dover & C. Howit Feels attorneys at law. (Fictional firm from 3 Stooges)

Your answer is the advice I give to you in this case.

At the very least speak to park management. That is what they are there for,, MOST parks are in places where leash laws exist and thus the owner of the Jack Russel may be in violation.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #65

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by acontella View Post
WOW, binspecter

Wow back atcha, New Member acontella! That's a most unusual very first post ya got there- and in a thread that died out here ten months ago to boot.

Oh- and: Welcome to the site!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #66

I would tase the dog and the owner!
SWP5767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #67

Gulf Streamers Club
Maybe dogs wouldn't be so violent if they saw humans less violent? We've had folks suggest getting a bigger, more violent dog to 'handle' the offending dog, a taser, a baseball bat, pepper spray, a .22 gun, tabasco sauce, a fire extinguisher and more.

If the dog isn't controlled properly, notify the owner. If they do nothing, notify the authorities, start at the campground manager, if nothing is done then call animal control people or police. Being violent to the dog only pushes the problem onto the next person who walks by the now more angry dog. Do unto others....

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #68

Some dog breeds are much more head-strong than others, and many owners can't manage them. The word is, "can't", not "won't"; because management is not a god-given talent that everybody has. In those cases, the dog runs the house.

To the guy that suggested a 34" Louisville Slugger, that's pretty excessive. Hey, it's a Jack Russell terrier (little dog) and a pitching wedge ought to do just fine
Old 08-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Here is my two cents worth.

I have traveled a lot and have been in many different situations with pets and owners.

There was only one where it progressed to where the owner was evicted and banned from any sister RV Parks.

A woman walking a fairly large Akita could not control her pet and her dog came into our site and lunged at my Golden Retriever who was sitting in his patio chair. Later I discovered that there were two punctures in his neck.

The owner and dog continued walking on to their site. The next day they were out walking again and the Akita lunged at a small Lhasa Apso and ripped up his neck and back requiring over $2000 in surgery and care. I witnessed the incident and immediately went to the office and reported what had just happened and also what had happened to my dog the day before.

The next day they were gone.

I now carry Bear Spray for any overly aggressive dogs and if the owner happens to get in the way they get it too.

Not my problem!

I can control MY dog which is always on a 6 foot leash and he is at my side most of the time. Anyone who thinks that having a dog on a 20 foot retractable line is the same as having full control of their dog, well their lights are on but no ones home!

All I will say is that if ANY dog goes after mine aggressively, all HELL will break loose and I will do ANYTHING necessary to protect my dog and myself.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote