Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
@ 6 months it IS the chewing stage !!!

Concur with training is not for the dogs, it's for the owners...

After our Lab passed, we didn't want another pet.... but we had a stray that showed up and was basically wild...
couldn't get him to come to us or go away....
he just followed me around the yard when I worked in the yard...

but once the wife decided she wanted him, I got him on lease and taught him who was in charge... With our larger dogs we used pinch collars, but with Beaux I only had to use a snatch collar because he was smaller and I could control him...
it doesn't hurt but jerking on the lease lets him know he is not doing the right thing !

Every dog needs to know who's the Alpha... it helps them to know their place and you to control them...

Now I can walk him on leash with one finger around the lease and as soon as he feels any pressure he turns to check on me and waits... Not saying he or I are perfect, but when I tell him No, he knows !
with his Momma, not so much ! so it proves who needs the training !
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
Manuael B:
I have to say, if no one else will, but you appear to be the type that gives all dog owners a bad name.
Yup, me and Michael Vick, we are ruining it for the rest of you perfect pet owners.

She is fine on a leash and no problems in the car, but we only use a leash when going to the vet, or walking out to put the trash cans out at the street, with 7 miles of fences and a lake and stream on the property we don't see the need to keep her on a leash or in a crate all the time, that sounds cruel when she see's the horses and our two other small dogs running free, her doghouse is at the backdoor covered porch in a fenced area that is hers.
I did find a trainer that comes out to us, 6 weeks for $450. much better.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Let's nix the personal attacks, folks. That's not how we roll here.

Offer constructive/helpful advice.

Thank you,
Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #18

I have 5 Mini Aussies and breed occasionally and also show and train with my dogs almost all the time at a local training center in both obedience and agility.

First if all, a puppy is a puppy. Think of them as a two year old child and proceed the same. They need guidance to do the right thing, not punishment necessarily. In my younger years, I thought a smack or a jerk were the way to go. However, I have found redirection and rejnforcement works much better.

Perhaps take your dog on leash near the hose and tell the dog to "leave it". As soon as the dog looks away, pop a yummy treat in his mouth. Repeat and repeat and repeat. It works if you are consistent. It does not work if the dog isn't on leash and under your control.

If you go to the APDT website, perhaps you can find a trainer in your area. I typically pay $80 for 6 weeks of classes, once a week. Do not be taken by the trainers that come to your house that are franchisees. They are not what you need and they charge so much because their franchise is extremely expensive.

A dog isn't mature until they are nearly two years old and training must be ongoing. Have fun with the training and watch your dog catch on!

Good luck with your pupper
Busyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #19

Great advice! APDT will have a list of humane trainers in your area. You need to direct Pixie to more appropriate behavior. She is probably bored so you will need to interact with her and give her lots (not a few) approved things to chew on. Good luck with her, she just needs some structure in her life.
Dog guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is always easier to know what others should do for sure. lol

I don't like to hear about any type of physical abuse, even a swat or that type stuff, which is absolutely NOT the way to train. Spanking, hitting, swatting, anything like that is NOT acceptable. Period. Ever. I am not a perfect person either, I have swatted my pups before, years ago, before I knew it was wrong.

Pixzilla is a sweet baby and I hope you have years of fun with her and that her puppy energy settles down for you!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Look up books written by the "Monks of New Skete." They really are monks, and part of their training involves training dogs--some of the best trained service dogs in the country. I'm not a monk, nor do I want to become one, but we benefited greatly by their books on how to train a dog. We particularly like "The Art of Raising a Puppy," and "How to be your dog's best friend."
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote