Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #1

Dog staying in RV

We leave our dog in the RV when we go out and need a temp. sensor we can access with our phone to check the temps. What do you guys use for this. I bought a wifi camera but the wifi in the parks are not good enough for the camera to operate. Any ideas?
Jmagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #2

Get yourself a hotspot.....doesn't need park wifi.....Verizon and AT&T have them...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #3

the https://tempstick.com/?gclid=EAIaIQo...iAAEgLn5_D_BwE will do as you need.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I saw this one mentioned on YouTube the other day:
https://www.amazon.com/MINGER-Temper...r=8-3-fkmrnull
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #5

After solving the problem of having internet, you may want to take a look at the Blink camera system. For $100 you get the controller and one camera. You can set the camera to alert you by phone when a certain temperature is reached. Plus you can access the camera's video feed anytime you want.
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #6

Do the temp. devices work with weak wifi?
Jmagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #7

Our current setup has a WiFi router that can use cell based signal or a local WiFi. And our smartphones need to have internet for us to get a signal.

Our current temperature sensor is from Monnit.com. It’s more targeted to industrial projects, but it’s been reliable, and they have ability to set alerts that can get sent as texts or emails. The one we have is https://www.monnit.com/Product/MNS-2-WF-TS-ST

If I were doing one today, I’d be tempted to get a La Crosse V10 weather station and stick the remote inside the refrigerator. Then I could get temperatures both inside the RV and make sure food is kept cold. This uses La Crosse View software that also has alerts. Maybe this one https://smile.amazon.com/Crosse-Tech...s%2C201&sr=8-1. We have their V40 for a home weather station and it has worked well.

With either product, no internet means no temperatures to your smart phone. It would be a good practice to always test it before leaving the RV.
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #8

Dog staying in RV

I meant to also mention that some of the La Crosse functions like the forecast feature would not work well in a moving RV. And you’d need to have the battery capacity to keep it running. But the unit itself is a great deal at about $60. And getting two temperatures including seeing how the fridge is doing without opening the door would be nice.

It’s my guess the amount of cell data used for these devices would be way less than a camera.

Maybe somebody has a temperature sensor that uses radios like the small ones that are modern day walkie talkies. FRS or GMRS to get around needing Internet.
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #9

A camera will help monitor the dogs but why not just set the thermostat and not worry?
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:25 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure which RV you have but if you have a generator you might look at this post on the board. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/afte...on-366203.html this way your buddy will be protected even if you lose campground power.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:13 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I understand your concern.

We also travel with a dog and inside temperature its a concern.

First off you have to figure out what kind of Wifi connection you want to use? There are some great suggestions in this thread. Mifis are very popular. we use our iPod"s Hot Spot with an unlimited data plan. I would not rely on camp ground Wifi systems.

Once you figure out how you will be connected, then it's time to figure out how you want to monitor the temperature.

We bought and set up the Temp Stik. It is a quality product but we had and are still having issues having it monitor. It just stops and will not send reports. Not sure what we are doing wrong but we'll figure it out.

There are many, many Wifi capable weather stations out there for you top choose from.

We also have a Wifi camera. Not an expensive one. We have it set on the dash and has a large viewing area. we can move the camera side to side and up and down. We can even talk to out pup through the camera.

I have seen where people some people have an inside thermometer and point a camera at the thermometer. .

I read here where it was suggested to just set the thermostat. Great idea but what happens if there is power loss?

This is where an Auto Get Start, AGS, would be nice to have. If your rig does not have one, they can be installed. Not cheap but peace of mind never is. I had one installed in ours.

We bought a motor home in order to travel with our dog. We have an Airedale Terrier. We rarely leave our pup alone long, 5 or 6 hours would be the max for us. It is a little bit of a sacrifice of time but we are both retired military and have traveled extensively - it is a sacrifice we make gladly for a little guy that brings us a lot of joy.......and yes - he is one of the family.

I give you credit for looking out for the well being of your pup. RVs heat up fast with no AC in warmer temps. (...or cold!)

Take care and good luck.

g
Old 06-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #12

On one of our first camping trips we stayed at Lake Blackshear. During the high season they have a problem with generating sufficient power. We came home every day to an over warm RV. Since then we have purchased surge protector that seems to work okay but still doesn't do everything. Before our fall trip we went with the Temp Stik. We've only had to use it last fall, all our trips since then have been during much cooler weather.

I purchased the Verizon Hot Spot to use with it and it worked well. Since then we've switched carriers and I use my Samsung Tablet with AT&T hot spot. On our winter and spring trip we didn't have a temperature concerns. I'll be testing it out before our next hot weather trip to make sure all work well together.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote