Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #1

Dogs sizes

Well after reading some post i am kind of nervous to start my trip with my 2dogs Kayla our Husky and Drake my Cheasapeake with is 97 pounds. My wife and I are living Wainwright Alberta direction louisiana in a few weeks hope that we wont have no issue finding nice CG especially around Yellowstone.
Vcjp03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the US. Have fun when you get to Louisiana, if you like good food and fun, try the Lafayette and surrounding area. (Cajun Country)
Old 03-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I doubt you'll have much trouble. If I had to hazzard a guess, I'd say that maybe 2% of CGs have rules limiting the weight of dogs. It happens but it's rare in our experience.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #4

We just bought a new camper and only plan on camping if our girl can go with us. I think we bought the camper more for her than us. I have found that most places allow all dogs but make sure you read up online before you go. I have only found one CG that had a size restriction and that was in SC.
JandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't seen much in size restrictions but my experience is only with the eastern US. I have seen one or two dog number restrictions and breed restrictions such as pit bulls but those are not common either.

Off the OP's topic of size but dealing with dogs:
Funny story: I thought is was funny anyway hehe
One campground was really off the top on ONE dog allowed per site....They asked me twice at registration and what breed yada yada. It was too late to find another campground. I had four with me at the time. All the same breed so I walked them one at a time. The dogs all looked the same to the casual eye and although they may have thought it was strange I was walking a dog, going in the rig, going for another walk right away etc... they never questioned me lol. The kid that was working there was staying in a trailer behind me and was sitting out next to a fire most of the night. Not that I think he really cared anyway.
Another place the lady that owned the CG had signs every 100 feet it seemed to remind campers to pick up after the dogs. She had a birds eye view of the CG and utilized a pair of binoculars to keep an eye on her domain. I had no problem with it, I even groomed the dogs at the site as it was in between dog show sites. She was thrilled with us when we left as I left the site cleaner then it was when we got there. Invited us back and told us she wished all dog owners were like us.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would have to re-read the rules on the Huskey at one campground. But I think they are allowed.. Mlmutes and wolf-hybrids (of which the Malmute is, Wolf/huskey cross) at some campgrounds are either dis-allowed or the owner has to show he has an outlandash amount of liability insurance.. This also applies to pit bullls, rotweiller and some terrier breeds.. I do not have the list handy (But noticed sonsiderable stutering on said list.. that is they described the same puppy 2 or 3 different ways)

That said... I've met a malmute with paws bigger than my hand.. (I'm still not convinced he was not part horse) though the owners did have to "post" that insurance to bring him into the park.. Persnality wise he was an absolute kitty cat.

However that said.. I always wonder why they have these great big dogs in those little tiny trailers.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #7

Most campgrounds I have visited are using the expression 'aggressive' to describe unwanted dogs. But you're best bet it to ALWAYS phone ahead and ask. Even when their info said no (or limited to 2) I have asked and stayed with all 3 of mine. It depends on the time of day or which direction the wind is blowing.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
A Chesapeake - they are a great breed. I had three over the years. Great Hunters. Strong sense of loyalty. We bred them too. Our kids all have Chessies now. We put our last one down a few years ago, and enjoy when the grand doggies come to visit. My wife and I have discussed whether or not to have a dog when RVing. For now - we will go dog-less. Breaks my heart.
This is Ally
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ally-11.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	8831  
Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have only found one campground since we bought our first motor home that wouldn't allow us to stay because our Golden Retriever(RIP) was too large. That was the USA Campground in Gallup, NM and from reading later reviews it has changed ownership and now allows large dogs with no problems.

Now we travel with a large Black Labrador Retriever(119 #'s) and haven't been turned away.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will add I have seen campgrounds (1 so far) that charge extra for pets because, in their words, the animal might get loose and they have to catch it.... right... Thank you but I won't be parking there, Covered Wagon, Bolder hwy, Either Las Vegas or Henderson, NV.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I will add I have seen campgrounds (1 so far) that charge extra for pets because, in their words, the animal might get loose and they have to catch it.... right... Thank you but I won't be parking there, Covered Wagon, Bolder hwy, Either Las Vegas or Henderson, NV.
Yep, especially out west this is becoming more common. I forgot where but we were once charged $3/dog. In our case that was $9 per night! A real crummy way to nickle and dime folks.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #12

100 lbs of pure sweetness

Our yellow lab is large for a lab at 100lbs (still a puppy). Well trained and starts advanced training next week. We only had one CG that said no dogs over 20lbs, owner had a one of those dog wannabees in is arm that didn't stop yapping the whole time we were talking. Just did a 180 and went to another CG.
Helotes2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #13

Maybe camouflage is the answer:

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Maybe camouflage is the answer:

Great answer! We have run into campgrounds in FL that have a 40# max during the snowbird season, but generally look the other way during the summer unless someone complains.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote