Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #29

Okay​, I'll step down off my soap box.

I just have a thing about people obscuring their vision with miscellaneous stuff stacked on their dashboard. Contractors are the worst.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My Co-Pilots

Here is my crew, taking over DW's seat. It's actually their Travel Supreme ME; I just drive to take them to the next set of sniffing locations. The three facing forward LOVE to travel...the one in the back loves to get where we're going, and tolerates the travel. The ME has no dash upon which to 'sit' like our Outlaw had. In that one, whenever we would come to a stop, I always had a lookout (or two) on that low/flat dash!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copilots.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	165996  
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #31

Our two basset Hounds were terrified on the first trip from Texas to Missouri. So many things banging and rattling. We are a small 23 foot Class C but eventually the stove fell apart and things went everywhere. Within minutes of driving the two both ran up front and hid under my legs like they do at home. Bad part is I had no room for them up front and could not even use the brakes.

We will dose them up for the next ride with Benedryll as it is a 3 week trip. They will have to calm down and get used to it. They have traveled with us many times in cars and trucks before. The RV is just too loud. I could not imagine a DP too. For now we just need to silence the screen door and the microwave. All the silverware has been changed to plastic and pots and pans wrapped in towels.

Later we will start a post with pictures of the hounds traveling.
Gimpyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
It will get better as soon as they associate the RV with having fun. The Benedryl will help a lot. Works for car sickness as well.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
It will get better as soon as they associate the RV with having fun. The Benedryl will help a lot. Works for car sickness as well.
This may be part of the issue. Even though we have had this motorhome for 3 months we have only spent 5 nights in it. At each of these stops it was not suitable to setup anything outside. Last Wednesday we left for the Savannah area and we gave Sophie Trazadone and it worked OK. She slept for a while, but she kept wanting to go to the rear of the coach. Why we don't know being the noisy part (except for the air brakes) is at the rear. We had to turn around and go back home thanks to Irma. This time we gave her a pain pill (she hurt her leg a few weeks ago) being it relaxes her some. I also put a pen around my wife's seat where she could put her down. Sophie fought my wife for about 2 hours and then she relaxed some and slept. But when we had to stop for a rest area the fighting started again all the way home. As soon as we pull into the rv resort driveway she quits fighting.

We will try again in a few days to continue our now 4 week trip. We have given her
Benedryl, but she got sick from it. My wife will check with the Vet to make sure we are giving her the right dosage.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The dosage for Benedryl is 1mg per pound. That means one tablet for a 25 lb. dog.

Talk to your vet about acepromazine for your pet. The half life of the medication is about 16 hours so it is much longer lasting than Benedryl.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFDCapt View Post
The dosage for Benedryl is 1mg per pound. That means one tablet for a 25 lb. dog.

Talk to your vet about acepromazine for your pet. The half life of the medication is about 16 hours so it is much longer lasting than Benedryl.
I usually only travel about 5 hours and I would like something that would work about that time span.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #36

We started back on our maiden trip that was ruined by Irma. Sophie was giving Trazadone about 1 1/2 hours before we left. I also set up a pen where my wife could set Sophie down on the floor. Sophie was freaking out for about 30 minutes then she started to calm down some. She eventually laid down on the floor on the pallet we made for her. Our trip today was about 5 hours long.

One of the things Sophie loved about the Tiffin was the doggie window. Newmar models do not have these. Fortunately it was cool enough that I was able to open the door and close the screen door. I then raised the platform for the steps. Sophie loved it. She was having fun again until a DP pulled in beside us and the air brakes went off. Under the dining room chair she went.

She eventually went back to the door to look out. Right now she is sacked out in the recliner with my DW.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #37

Mid Atlantic Campers
We took our Great Danes with us to test drive RV's and they didn't care one bit. I was so glad because they are a big part of the reason we want to get a coach, so they can go with us.

These are the products that I've used with my animals for years. Bach's Rescue remedy had worked wonders when we had a greyhound with severe separation anxiety and a Rhodesian Ridgeback with fear aggression. The Animal Essential Oils are really good and we use them for many different things. I've got a cat that stresses when we start packing and will pee on the dogs stuff so we use the Calm-a-Mile for her. We also put it on the dogs Sniff It dog collar diffuser when we travel in the Jeep for long trips, they get so excited and it seems to help them settle.

I think the person that suggested extra treats, something super special has a great idea. We use stuffed Kongs from the time they are puppies so that they associate their crate and our going out without them as the only time they get that super duper treat. Seems like that should work for this too!

Dog Recommendations

Rescue Remedy Pets - The Original Bach Flower Remedies

Angie
MuddyPaws2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:29 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We got our coach so our kids could travel with us. They need no meds as that would impair their ability to help me drive.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by f15epilot View Post
We got our coach so our kids could travel with us. They need no meds as that would impair their ability to help me drive.
But she can't reach the steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sophie on Dash.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	988.4 KB
ID:	177602  
Old 09-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here's what I mean...4 copilot's!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20161229_113150572.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	177718  
Old 09-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #41

honestly, ignore her or create her. The thunder shirt or Benadryl are also both options. Don't cuddle her it will add to the anxiety. It is new and different and loud to her. Make it a normal. I work a bomb dog and my wife is a Vet. Dogs much like people are all different, but they can work the DP sounds into their normal life.
crb478 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:31 AM   #42

Update

Sophie is getting better and better. We have been traveling for 4 days in a row with just overnight stops. We are now giving Sophie her pain medication for her leg she hurt a few weeks before we left instead of the Trazadone. She is not as drugged now. I have the front section from my seat to the door where she can move around some. This is blocked off also where she cannot go further into the motorhome right behind our seats.

We also bought her a new bed and she loves it. Most of the time now she either lays in the bed or on the floor at my wife's seat.

When we stop we let her in the section on the other side of the pen. She still gets nervous when we stop or if the roads are real bad, but not as bad as she use to.

We are thinking of opening up the pen and letting her roam up to a certain area. This area has not places she can get into and not get back out off. I will still have to block off my area for driving somehow.