Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
First Trip in New motorhome with our dog

After a month of having our motorhome the weather finally cooperated so we go on a short trip. I have been taking Abbie, our Minature Schnauzer, with me every time I was in the MH putting things in it to get her used to being in it. She doesn't like to ride in the car because it always means a visit to the groomer or to be boarded. Our first trip was just a little more than 100 miles. Abbie was terrified and climbed my shoulder the minute we began to move and stayed there for the whole 100+ miles. Now she weighs 17 pounds & believe me that gets really heavy after a while. Our MH has a window on the floor on the passenger side & my thoughts was she would lay there; unfortunately that wasn't her thoughts.

I knew I was not going to be able to hold her next week on our trip to Missouri & this summer out west. Was really concerned how I was going to deal with this, well coming home today she laid down on the floor between my DH & me the whole way home. Was I ever glad!! Now hope she does as well next week.
ginny47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Throw down a blanket or pillow for her to lay on so she won't feel vibrations thru the floor. Makes ours happier.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #3

Sounds mean but simply push her off and ignore her. She'll find a spot she likes eventually
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have always crated our Schnauzer(s) and that works well for us. A few Charlie Bears to entice them at first and now it is just get in your crate. Had Cocker that always rode on the back rest of the couch and when we got a new rig the back rest wasn't wide enough so I had to build a padded bench so she could ride and look out.

Don G
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Remember to pack some of your dogs toys and blanket from home. Also check with your vet to see about medication for anxiety and motion sickness for your pup. A pet calming wrap like Thunder Shirt may also help. http://www.thundershirt.com/?gclid=C...FWFyQgod4lAAUg
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
For our cat I made a tent on one of the couch's with his blanket. When we would almost be ready to go I would put him there, Thom would start the RV and there he would stay. After a few days he got used to the sounds and vibrations and now he goes straight to the dash and sleeps most of the time right there. He had time to get used to the vibrations and sounds since we were traveling just about every day for almost 5 weeks straight going cross country and back again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00030.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	36551   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00038.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	36552  

Old 04-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #7

A thunder shirt can help but for us, a crate works best. They are safe, from themselves and the outside and fall asleep until I stop.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginny47 View Post
After a month of having our motorhome the weather finally cooperated so we go on a short trip. I have been taking Abbie, our Minature Schnauzer, with me every time I was in the MH putting things in it to get her used to being in it. She doesn't like to ride in the car because it always means a visit to the groomer or to be boarded. Our first trip was just a little more than 100 miles. Abbie was terrified and climbed my shoulder the minute we began to move and stayed there for the whole 100+ miles. Now she weighs 17 pounds & believe me that gets really heavy after a while. Our MH has a window on the floor on the passenger side & my thoughts was she would lay there; unfortunately that wasn't her thoughts.

I knew I was not going to be able to hold her next week on our trip to Missouri & this summer out west. Was really concerned how I was going to deal with this, well coming home today she laid down on the floor between my DH & me the whole way home. Was I ever glad!! Now hope she does as well next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Throw down a blanket or pillow for her to lay on so she won't feel vibrations thru the floor. Makes ours happier.
My little girl a, Bichon Frise/Yorkshire Terrier cross, lays on the sofa right behind me.
At home if I am sitting in my recliner she is laying in the chair right at my side. If I am laying on the sofa she is laying on me.
She is my dog for sure, when I have to leave her at home the wife tells me she waits at the door I went out of for my return.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginny47 View Post

My little Bichon/yorkie had an ouch at the vet, never liked going to the groomer's, and she is afraid of the wipers so now in the truck she rides with her head tucked behind my arm.
Heck when I take her to the groomer's it is in a pet food store and I am not allowed to remain in the store or she will try to find me.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome