Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
Geriatric Pets or disabled pets

Does anyone here travel with either geriatric pets or disabled pets?

We have a cocker spaniel / beagle mix that will be 16 this year. She has limited sight and mobility. I decided early on that as long as she was not in pain we would work with her and let nature take it course.

Any ideas on making a geriatric dog more comfortable and any best ideas on food-water for sight impaired pups?

She loves to ride.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post

We have a cocker spaniel / beagle mix that will be 16 this year. She has limited sight and mobility. I decided early on that as long as she was not in pain we would work with her and let nature take it course.

Any ideas on making a geriatric dog more comfortable and any best ideas on food-water for sight impaired pups?

She loves to ride.

Thanks.
We started our full timing life 6 years ago with Jake the Rottweiler who ended up living nearly 12 years which is pretty long in the tooth for a Rottie. The last year or so he was with us was somewhat challenging. He weighed about 120 and started having a great deal of difficulty with the entry steps into the motorhome. We bought a personal flotation device that attached around his chest and stomach with heavy Velcro. It had a webbing handle in the middle of the back and it made it easy to assist him in and out. We also travel with a 10 year old cat who has "cerebellar hypoplasia, which is a brain development disorder and the cat can't walk. She has been with us most of her life. She can eat on her own but my wife much give her a bottle of water daily. It's interesting the challenges we choose.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

After 30 years of owning, breeding and training Parson Russell Terriers I've been down that road a time or three.

The biggest thing to remember is your patience, it's a learning experience for both you AND the dog. My most recent geriatric Rylie (see my signature line below) spent her last few (very) happy months travelling with the DW, her 'brother' and I, and although there were some trying times, all-in-all we all wouldn't have had it any other way.

I think the best way to sum it up is to say take your time, pay attention to the details, what makes everyone happy or sad, and concentrate on the good times.

Oh, and take LOTS of pictures.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #4

Quote:

She loves to ride.

Thanks.
We don't have any dogs at the present time but I noticed when I worked in an Animal Hosp some time ago that many old dogs and cats have horrible teeth and infected gums. The teeth are covered with tartar and sometimes teeth are actually loose in the gums. These conditions can make eating difficult so should be prevented from the start. Canned food, better for cats and dogs anyway, doesn't cause as much disease of the mouth and tartar on the teeth. It's also easier for old dogs and cats to eat.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #5

We just recently (a month ago) lost George and Shadow. Not that we full or even part time but last year we (the dogs and us) enjoyed many miles and vacation days with them. They are just as comfortable in our motorhome as they are at home.

I'm sure you are doing all the right things at home for her so traveling should not be a issue. Bring all her medications (if she has any) and I'm sure she will be fine.

Looking back I have no regrets on taking them. Here are some pictures of thir last outing in October of 2012. Link here

Take lots of pictures.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks to all.
"It's interesting the challenges we choose" - that is the truth.

"patience, it's a learning experience for both you AND the dog} - Very true
Thanks for the reminder.

"Canned food" = Too late.. she is SPOILED on roasted, backed or boiled chicken.

I have watched Clara, an I have been amazed at how well she has adapted to her on-going problems. She is a great teacher.
"Take lots of pictures." - I do need more recent pictures.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our PBGV Marceau (SoSo) went blind at 4 years old (2001) and we had to have his eyes removed. We bought our 1st RV in 2006. When the RV was brought home he knew it was here and would wait by the door for us to take him to it. He traveled with us for 5 years until we had to have him euthanized in 2011. He managed going up the stairs but had trouble going down them. The majority of people who met him never knew he was blind until we told them. The vet told us the best advice was to not move things around once he knew where they were.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
HHg

We've had our Sadie (a Blue Merle Sheltie) for 16 years. She is totally deaf and has an arthritic hip. She does fine as long as I carry her up and down the steps of the RV. She goes everywhere with us. We don't go without her.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #9

I've had my Gabby, 13 yr-old grayhound for years. Three years ago we joined the rv crowd with our new "family" She loves the outdoors but has begun to struggle with the stairs to the new(er) motorhome. I am wobdering if I should start thinking about a ramp soon...
susanandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Katie Charlotte (lost her 10-30-12) was blind for the year preceeding her death and I had problems with her falling down the stairs, which I built this cover for the stair well. I saw one someone else here on irv2 built that was on a piano hinge and they could lay it down or up with an easy pull on a cord, but this is a pic of what I built.

Also, I have a wedge foam incline for all the pups to get up and down off the bed. Katie couldn't see, but she found her way to that co-pilot chair if we were traveling alone.

As for in and out of the MH, I carried her, always. She had bad rear hip displasia, weak rear legs the last 3-4 years of her life, and could get up the stairs, but couldn't get down, up until she lost her sight.

It is a challenge, certainly, but always worth it to be together in her final years.

Best of luck and hope you build some more cherished memories on the road....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-29_12-46-30_991.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	40073   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-31_10-58-33_900.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	40074  

Old 06-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
We have an 80-lb German Shepherd who has Degenerative Myleopathy. It's closest human equivalent is Lou Gehrig's disease.. that is, it's a paralysis that starts in back and works it's way up. He's "mostly" down in back, but can still stand and walk with a little help. He's happiest in the water where his weight is reduced and mobility improved.

His current condition is that he can currently walk short distances, with some help. He's outlived his prognosis by almost 3 years.

He's part of the reason that we own an RV. He's too big to fly commercial. We (I) have to lift him in and out of the RV.. As long as he's able to walk, we'll continue to care for him...

I have been thrown out of a camp site for having a "dangerous" breed. Note, he's not aggressive and your basic 80 year old human is much faster, but there are still limitations on where we can take him. And I never have an objection to those limitations, but we got booted out of a camp once that didn't have the breed restrictions posted, which I though was a pretty poor way to run a business.... Actually, we weren't kicked out - we were told that we could leave if we wanted to (the host was keeping our money), but we'd need to pack up and drive him off site for him to go to the backroom.. basically that he couldn't be out of the RV at all...

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
We have an 80-lb German Shepherd who has Degenerative Myleopathy. It's closest human equivalent is Lou Gehrig's disease.. that is, it's a paralysis that starts in back and works it's way up. He's "mostly" down in back, but can still stand and walk with a little help. He's happiest in the water where his weight is reduced and mobility improved.

His current condition is that he can currently walk short distances, with some help. He's outlived his prognosis by almost 3 years.

He's part of the reason that we own an RV. He's too big to fly commercial. We (I) have to lift him in and out of the RV.. As long as he's able to walk, we'll continue to care for him...

I have been thrown out of a camp site for having a "dangerous" breed. Note, he's not aggressive and your basic 80 year old human is much faster, but there are still limitations on where we can take him. And I never have an objection to those limitations, but we got booted out of a camp once that didn't have the breed restrictions posted, which I though was a pretty poor way to run a business.... Actually, we weren't kicked out - we were told that we could leave if we wanted to (the host was keeping our money), but we'd need to pack up and drive him off site for him to go to the backroom.. basically that he couldn't be out of the RV at all...

That CG manager/owner, had he/she known the situation, or taken time to know or learn the situation, would be far more human had she/he some time to look beyond the bookworm paper rules and see the nature of the situation you were dealing with. People like that disgust me. They are in a bubble and have no clue. I call them 'bubble people'.

So sorry to hear of your having to move while dealing with such a situation with the pup...

Such a good boy he is. Thanks for sharing his picture.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
That CG manager/owner, had he/she known the situation, or taken time to know or learn the situation, would be far more human had she/he some time to look beyond the bookworm paper rules and see the nature of the situation you were dealing with. People like that disgust me. They are in a bubble and have no clue. I call them 'bubble people'.
CG "owner" - well, the son of the original owner. The campground is being passed down as the family business. I stopped by the office to offer to update his website for him so no one would have that same issue. I got an earful instead, as he had confused me with another camper with a terrier (we had swapped spots @ the office on the way in).

I really didn't have an issue with him not allowing German Shepherds.. That rule came from his commercial insurance and I can understand him not being able to make exceptions without risking the insurance situation. What I couldn't understand was not offering a refund - and indicating that I could leave if I wanted, but he was keeping the money...

The elder owner sent me a check for my stay about 2 weeks ago.... He said something about not being able to make his son apologize.

No issue with breed restrictions. I have issues with undocumented breed restrictions!
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
CG "owner" - well, the son of the original owner. The campground is being passed down as the family business. I stopped by the office to offer to update his website for him so no one would have that same issue. I got an earful instead, as he had confused me with another camper with a terrier (we had swapped spots @ the office on the way in).

I really didn't have an issue with him not allowing German Shepherds.. That rule came from his commercial insurance and I can understand him not being able to make exceptions without risking the insurance situation. What I couldn't understand was not offering a refund - and indicating that I could leave if I wanted, but he was keeping the money...

The elder owner sent me a check for my stay about 2 weeks ago.... He said something about not being able to make his son apologize.

No issue with breed restrictions. I have issues with undocumented breed restrictions!
I understand and agree. Sounds like the elder owner still has enough decency to be able to function as an owner, while the child/son is obviously not.

I do know insurance regulations and restrictions come in to play, however; the fact that it was un documented and not on the CG's website/rules/policies make it particularly unfair.

Sounds as though you at least got partial resolution with the refund.

Tags
disabled