RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
UAV

Half Bath as Kitty Room?

Hey All...

Wife and I were ready to order a coach with only one bathroom but after thinking it over and over, we decided that the best option would be a bath and a half, using the half bath as our kitty room.

Reason being, we have two cats and my wife has trained them to "go to bed" at night. At home, we use a cozy laundry room as their "bedroom". It is amazing but they know when it is time for bed.

We thought about doing a bunk model as others have done but I sort of like the idea of using the half bath as their own "bedroom" since there is a fan in there to expel odors when necessary. We will also put a litter box in there. We have a Litter Robot at home (greatest invention, ever!) but probably won't have room for one in a half bath, along with bedding, etc. but they will probably use a regular, covered litter box.

Anyway, they have never been in an RV and we will slowly introduce/train them when the time comes...Not too worried about that as I enjoy training animals.

So the goal will be to train them to do what they do at home: Go to bed each night.

That said, has anyone used their half bath as a kitty room? If so, how did that work out for you?

If you could do it over would you do a bunk model instead? Reason I don't think that route is best is due to the lack of ventilation.

Look forward to hearing what you all think.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 09:53 PM   #2

we traveled with a cat for about 15-yrs. never worried about where she slept...usually in a chair or on the sofa. we had a counter in the bedroom with a space for a chair in the middle. that's where her box was. we used filter liners with clumping litter and changed it daily. us? i wouldn't give up the extra room for a half bath just for the cat. the cat will adapt.

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #3

Dont kid yourself. That bathroom will be YOUR bathroom in real short order. The question is, are you willing to share it with the cats? lol
Old 12-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
Reason being, we have two cats and my wife has trained them to "go to bed" at night. At home, we use a cozy laundry room as their "bedroom". It is amazing but they know when it is time for bed.

So the goal will be to train them to do what they do at home: Go to bed each night.
My 18 (almost 19) year old cat tells ME when it's time to go to bed. She gets very LOUD when she wants me to go to bed. Usually between 945pm-1030pm she will begin to meow loudly at me. If I look at her she yowls at me VERY loud. Loud as in you would think I was torturing her if you heard her from a different room. So I try to avoid eye contact if I want to stay up a bit. But she's definitely the boss... When I go to bed she stops yelling at me and cuddles, and presses up against me for warmth and goes to sleep. If we're on a walk and she doesn't want to go an further she will sit on the side of the road and meow at me.

But reading your post made me laugh, because my cat trained me, not the other way around. I tell her that she's retired from being a pet so I am there for her, and not the other way around. She retired as a pet at 15 years old. Now I put a heating pad under her bed to keep those old joints and bones warm and loose. I have to keep a little pile of food and another little pile of treats at the end on one side of my bed.

If she wants something from me when I am asleep she will tap tap tap tap on my head until I wake up. When I have a headache she knows... She pets my head. Amazing cat. Been with her since she was a day or two old and she's coming up on 19 years old. She's amazing though.

When she does tap tap tap my head to wake me up sometimes it's because she ate all her treats and wants more, or because she wants me to let her under the covers. I have a small pillow I prop the covers up with about 1.5 feet from my body and then use my body as the other blanket brace. So she has a little tunnel to lay in. It's crazy how when you have been with a pet for so long that you can understand what they say and know what they want by how they meow or look at you.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote