Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
How do you make your pet comfy?

Smokey has never been in an RV before so we tried to make it as comfortable as possible. We added a scratching block and a mini fort for her to hide in, we have also thrown on top a crinkle bag that she can crawl inside if she wants to. She seems to enjoy hanging out on the dash of the RV, especially during the day and it appears she is really enjoying her new toys and all the accessories that came with them. PS this is DW posting DH is a little perturbed at me for hijacking his post and not joining myself.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141007_091109.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	75996   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141007_154226.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	75997  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Not sure about cats, but with our 2 Jack Russell/Parson terrier pups, stopping every few hours to let them do their "business" and stretch their legs works the best for them while traveling. Once at camp, they sleep best when in a cave-type of setting, so we simply put an expandable wooden gate in front of the dinette with their bedding from home. As long as we stay active, like hiking, walking, or rockhounding that gives them a "job", we all stay happy. If a situation arises that does not allow them to get as much exercise as possible, well, let's just say you do not want to be our neighbors that day.

Bruce and Judy
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Our Chihuahua mix makes himself comfortable, on our sleep number bed.

If the room premature is warm he sleeps on top of the covers. If the room temperature is cool, he sleeps UNDER the covers.

Often, during the day, he takes his naps there also.

So do we make our pet comfy? No, he just helps himself.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

Take some old familiar blanket/bed toys from home so that it will always have something familiar.
Milt
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #5

We travel with two cats and one dog, and we had the opposite problem. On our first trip the two cats made themselves comfortable…….under the dash board along with all the wires, under the sliding bed, and then through a small opening for wires and ended up under the rear closet floor. In addition they hid behind the sofa, behind the kitchen slide out, under the captain chairs and if we opened the bathroom cabinet door to get to the toilet paper, one of the cats would immediately dash into the cabinet and through a small hole for the drain pipe! I spend several weeks sealing up all of the dangerous hiding holes and I created one new one into the rear closet for them.

Now when my smart puppy chases my wife’s two dumb old cats they can escape into safe places where my perfect puppy can’t get to them.

It is very important that you make sure you perform a “cat count” and you know they aren't anywhere near the sliding room mechanism. There have been reports of squashed kitty’s when the rooms go in or out. Smart dogs don’t have that problem; they just wag their tails, and park their bodies in the captain chair and blow the air horn with their paws scaring the hebejebes out of me . Or they place their big paws on the door lock button locking their masters out causing them to break a window to get back in. Now since my puppy is so smart I knew she didn't do that on purpose....the two cats put her up t it!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
they just wag their tails, and park their bodies in the captain chair and blow the air horn with their paws scaring the hebejebes out of me . Or they place their big paws on the door lock button locking their masters out causing them to break a window to get back in. Now since my puppy is so smart I knew she didn't do that on purpose....the two cats put her up t it!
LOL!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #7

FELIWAY - Official Site
Pheromones

Cat is much happier. She gave herself a Brazilian on the first trip, now she sits next to me and has stopped meowing.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Those are "great Posts" to wake up to and sup on my morning Cup-O-Joe.
Our Babies, Buddies & Her Majesty, were all rescues. Freddie had been the most abused, but I am happy to say he "Loves To Love & Be Loved".
All 4 get along very well. Smokey was raised from 3 wks old by Us 2 Labs & German Shepard, I'm sorry to say they have Past.
The mutts all love driving, Smokey has only been in the vehicle to & from the Vet over the years. I was amazed at how quickly she adapted to the MH, We have done a few mini-underway trips, less than an hour on local roads. When buttoning up for underway, Smokey gets on the counter above the W/D and watches the slides come in(and the dogs grab spots on the sofa, and a captains chair ) until done. When underway, Smokey lays on the bottom step of the Main Cabin Door until I am up from the drivers seat, then she is up and back to normal.
Tomorrow we take a 4 hour ride to Monroe VA near Lynchburg with the Daughter and Grand Daughter (9). We talked to the vet, She recommended "Rescue Remedy" it's an over the counter, and should help her relax. I will report next week with how things went.
Hope Everyone Is Having A Great Day
As 4 Me , All Is Normal
Old 10-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #9

We travel with two cats sometimes, the one just hangs out in the bed, the other is all over the place. He likes to get up on the dash when he can while I am driving. Once we just to our destination, they are pretty chilled out.

My wife is trying to make a site specifically geared toward RV Pet travel. She just started it last week. Focused primarly on the cats.

[moderator edit]
aoswald13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Long story made short. As much as we tried to help our mix-breed dog comfy on the RV, the ONLY way we could make him comfortable for the times when we leave the RV was to just leave the dog at home or in a professional kennel. This surprised us, as the dog is 7 years old and never showed any signs of separation anxiety before. But on the RV, in all of the different locations that we visit, apparently he gets too freaked out when we leave him on the RV for even very short periods. While we could keep him in a dog kennel inside the RV when we leave to prevent him from damaging our coach, this makes it miserable for the dog and our RV neighbors (hearing him whine), so we just feel that the best thing to do is to leave him home and under the care of a relative, or check him into a dog kennel. We do miss him when we travel, but it's for the best.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #11

My puppy being very comfortable while traveling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140917_124110[1].jpg
Views:	231
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	76134  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #12

We make our kitties comfortable by bringing one of their favorite cat-trees-condos and 2 scratchings posts. They have 2 large litter totes. We set up the screenroom with all kind of cat stuff from KittyCity as it's light weight. They also have a large catio that attaches to the side of the TT. All 4 of them do well once we get here we're going and park. None are too happy when the Class-C or the TV for the TT is rolling.

We do not move the slide in the TT until they're all in their carriers or already in the GMC TV.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We still haven't figured it out yet, so far both sit in the co-pilots lap
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #14

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1418264897.944394.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	735.0 KB
ID:	80903kids sleep on moms lap. The rest of the time they just make themselves at home😳.

2003 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster-F53 Chassis towing 1998 Tracker
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote