Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 11:39 PM   #113

How many people travel with their pets?

We were at State College PA two weeks ago for the FB game. Two MH down from us had three huge Rottweilers ... Biggest babies ever. They had a 40 footer and as soon as they got level they started erecting their fence. It was amazing. A beautiful white PVC fence with a gate that was the entire length of his RV. I could not believe it and it all fit very neatly in one of his basement compartments. I wish I would have taken a picture. We will be seeing them again at the end of October ... I will take a picture and post it. If there is a will there is a way.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #114

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK, here are three of our seven cats:

These are our three pedigreed Japanese Bobtails. Noah, the one in the foreground with black on his head is a retired Grand Premier show winner in CFA. The other two have never been shown but the breeder keeps telling u s she wishes she had kept the one on the left (Tomiko) for showing and breeding. Our other four cats are rescues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10595.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	594.4 KB
ID:	74450  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:05 AM   #115

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfugere View Post
We are new to RV'ing and just bought a 40' motorhome. We have 4 Rescued Racing Greyhounds that are from 58lbs to 98 lbs. Does anyone have greyhounds? We're just wondering if taking all 4 of them will be too much.
Are you kidding? Traveling with the finest companion dogs on earth?

We traveled with three when we first retired. They did just fine. One was very resistant to change when we lived in our home, but loved to travel!

She found out that when walking on trails we stood to the side and let other people pass. Of course, they petted her. She always wanted to walk on the trails!

The issue is the number of dogs. Many campgrounds allow two dogs by rule. We always called ahead and asked if our three could come in. When they hesitated, we told them they were retired racing Greyhounds, and they let us in! We were never turned down when we called first.

So take them for a walk, let them get petted, and give them a hug for us.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #116

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
thanks for the reply DF. We love our Greyhounds and can't bring ourselves to leave them home. They are the finest companion dogs in the world and they love it when we take them for a walk where there are a great deal of people. They seem to always draw a crowd.
rdfugere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:37 AM   #117

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Goldensadie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfugere View Post
We are new to RV'ing and just bought a 40' motorhome. We have 4 Rescued Racing Greyhounds that are from 58lbs to 98 lbs. Does anyone have greyhounds? We're just wondering if taking all 4 of them will be too much.
Try a short trip with your greyhounds then decide if it's comfortable traveling with them. I've tested several greyhounds over the years to become therapy dogs, and they're just wonderful. A coulple we met in Tampa last year had 4 Chow Chows in their RV. The lady could only walk one at a time so it seemed like she was constantly walking.
Goldensadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:13 AM   #118

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is there any particular campgrounds that are more likely to allow my 4 greyhounds? example KOA or Good Sam? When you call ahead, do you talk to the owners?
Old 09-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #119

We are actually getting a class a so our Great Dane pup can travel with us, we just can't imagine leaving him behind. We even requested he be allowed to attend a test drive to make sure he'll fit with the slides closed
logsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:35 AM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by logsend View Post
We are actually getting a class a so our Great Dane pup can travel with us, we just can't imagine leaving him behind. We even requested he be allowed to attend a test drive to make sure he'll fit with the slides closed
That's a great idea, I never thought of that. I'll have to do the same with my 4 greyhounds.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:00 AM   #121

We had a Greyhound when we first got married. BB a retired racer who had no prey drive what so ever, which I guess is why he only ever got second place He was such a couch potato and his best friend was a cat

We had to make sure the floorplan we picked in our class a had two sofas, one for us, one for our Dane
logsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #122

Dogs drool, Cats rule! (Homeward Bound)
Swalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:48 AM   #123

Entegra Owners Club
That's your opinion about cats! Since I've always had both in my life I don't feel cats come close to the love & loyalty you receive from a dog. Dogs are also the best, awesome companions to do things together. Can't take a cat hiking or out to play ball/frisbee, etc. Cats do their own thing, very independent.
p.s. I've never owned a dog that's drooled!
Old 10-08-2014, 04:11 AM   #124

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensadie View Post
That's your opinion about cats! Since I've always had both in my life I don't feel cats come close to the love & loyalty you receive from a dog. Dogs are also the best, awesome companions to do things together. Can't take a cat hiking or out to play ball/frisbee, etc. Cats do their own thing, very independent.
p.s. I've never owned a dog that's drooled!
I agree. My greyhounds are so loyal and can run faster than cats lol
Old 10-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #125

Send a message via Yahoo to GFBishop
I travel with the current wife and a 60 lb black lab. We have a 5er and she travels just great. My only regret is that we don't have 2 labs.

GFB
GFBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:30 AM   #126

Entegra Owners Club
Why not get a 2nd Lab, I'm sure you wouldn't regret it! We travelled for years with our two Golden's who adapted quickly to life on the road. Both seemed to like riding in the RV and best of all they were with us 24/7! We now have only one 10 yr old Golden, but aquired two long-haired Chihuahua's which will never take the place of the Golden's, but they sure do travel well and don't take up much room at all since both weigh only 5 lbs. Good luck to you, and hope you think seriously about getting a pal for your Lab?