Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Important Pet Warning

I wanted to pass a story along to everyone about something that happened to us recently. If you own a dog or a cat, please read on. If not, pass this on to someone that does. I apologize for its length, but it does contain important information about your pet’s safety.

We were preparing for our annual RV vacation that included three different National Forests. As always, we planned to take our 5 year old Chihuahua, Petey. To protect Petey from fleas & ticks, I went to my local Petco to purchase some Frontline Plus flea & tick control. The animal hospital within Petco is Banfield, from which all prescription medications are sold. The vet nurse there told me that they don’t offer Frontline Plus, but they do sell something just as good, FirstShield Trio. I gave them Petey’s weight and they sold me a box of FirstShield Trio.

I drove home and applied the FirstShield Trio as directed. Within 30 minutes, Petey began acting bizarre. He started running to every door in the house, barking as if someone was trying to break in. I let him outside and he charged at our other dog, a six month old German Shepherd, and tried to attack him. As I picked Petey up, his left rear leg began spasming out. His leg kept kicking outward, involuntarily.

Fearing that Petey had an adverse reaction from the FirstShield Trio, I rushed him back to the Banfield Animal Hospital. The vet there examined him and said all of his vital signs were fine, and that there was nothing to worry about. I didn’t accept that and rushed him back home where I promptly bathed him to remove the medication from his skin.

I then called the manufacturer of FirstShield Trio and spoke to a representative. The rep. told me that some dogs have reactions to the active ingredient of FirstShield Trio, which is Permethrin.

I did some internet research on Permethrin and found that dogs have died as a result of it’s use. It is straight insecticide. Here is a link to a You Tube video that shows a news cast warning about Permethrin and it’s derivatives:

I’ve found that in addition to FirstShield Trio, Advantix uses Permethrin as well. Both products are sold by Banfield, inside Petco.

The rep. From FirstShield Trio said that the vet should have taken an incident report and should have bathed Petey immediately with a degreaser upon being notified of his symptoms. They did not do either. In fact, I was never even given an opportunity to speak to the vet, only the nurse who disappeared with Petey, and returned with him 10 minutes later. Needless to say, I will not set foot inside another Banfield Animal Hospital.

It took two weeks for Petey’s symptoms to completely disappear. It scared me to think that I might have killed my own pet, it my attempt to protect him. Please don’t use anything with Permethrin on your pet. When in doubt, read the label!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Eye opening information Craig, thank you for the heads up.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info. Our friends dog got very sick last week after application of one of those products. Luckily they bathed him a couple times after, and He was sick for a couple days but pulled through. They suspected just an allergic reaction.

Mike
Old 07-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you,thank you for putting this info up,thank you Craig!!!!!!!!!

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #5

For what it's worth....Banfield is in PetSmart, not Petco!

Thanks for the heads up....I think it's safe to say, especially with smaller breeds (We've got Papillons) that you need to monitor them whenever they have treatments. We don't let our Vet give them all of their vaccinations at one time....we've seen reactions! So, we bring in multiple dogs, and they get a single vaccination....then we go again in a week. Works out about the same price wise....and we all have piece of mind!
PapPappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapPappy View Post
For what it's worth....Banfield is in PetSmart, not Petco!
You are absolutely correct, I apologize for the confusion. I always get the two mixed up since both stores have locations near me.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Wow. Thanks for the warning and so glad your boy seems to be okay now. We're always looking for ways to save some $$ but I guess I'll be sticking with Frontline Plus. Haven't had a problem so far and been using it for about 2 years on my two Norwich Terriers.
CheetahGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #8

We just started using FrontLine, reluctantly, when we went to a show in an area known for sand fleas carrying tapeworms.

Thanks for posting your experience. Hopefully, it will help someone avoid a similar experience.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:37 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
DW and I are in the mobile dog grooming business. We could tell some horror stories related to us regarding the corporate veterinary and grooming operations of the major pet chains.

We use and sell all natural pet flea and tick preventive products. We don't like to use the chemicals, as it can cause reactions like those mentioned in the original post. It can also build up in OUR bodies as we handle the stuff.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #10

Wow what a story. Funny I found this story. I gave my dog a Chihuahua named Peeta, a Hartz Flea and Tick Control treatment on Monday. She too has done the exact same thing you mentioned. Now she already has problems with her knees that are common to Chi's and I was putting the spasms off to that. I have read the package and it says nothing on the package with the ingredients but the little applicator does say Permethrin 45.0 % and nothing else. She was already scheduled for a vet appt. tomorrow morning. I haven't been on the forum in the last month or so but I am sure glad I have read it now. I too will be contacting Hartz.

Thank you for posting such vital information.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

That is horendous and inexcusable. I'm so glad that Petey is ok.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It always pays to research medications.. (I do everything I take, but .. Well.. Thanks)