Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #15

We took our kids camping all the time when they were little, even younger than yours. Of course it can be done. It just takes some planning is all. The more you do it, it will become second nature, and your son will grow up with some great memories.

When we started with our kids, we started with tent camping. They loved it. Gradually over the years we progressed (as most do I think) to various levels of RV's, pop up, travel trailers, 5th wheel, motor home, and now a 5th wheel again. All of this was done with 2 large dogs. It can definitely be done.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't see any major reason not to do it. Sure things will have to go at a slower pace until your son is a little older. But think of the memories he will soon be developing. I'd definitely go for it.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:47 AM   #17

FWIW the more I think about it the more I think the best way to travel with a child is something like a C class MH. They run well self contained so setup is maybe plugging in the electric cord. Hot and cold running water, food and supplies are all handy as needed. A lot easier than a car. Just get something with a couch, dinette, and bed. That provides enough room to have a separate sleep space for naps. As the child matures a bit the J-couch is a fine bed for a few years with minimum fuss. The dogs will adapt.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:08 PM   #18

my daughter in 1982 was one yr old and we brought her camping in tent with other family. of course it at first was morning saturday and leave sunday noon.. fished till my hearts content...not a problem my son was born 1984 and did same./ then we got the swinger class A dodge 440 and did few nights in a row. went about every weekend till they were about 15 then it was as always friends are more important. sold campers and then in about 2010 got into again as grand kids are here....i really think things are different in ND than lots of other places..
Old 09-07-2016, 12:46 AM   #19

We have traveled for the past 15 months we have seen singles with kids, grandparents raising kids and families with kids. In one campground the school bus made daily runs. Life as we knew it has changed. I do not see any reason not to. Good luck!
gypsy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For the last 5.5 years I have traveled full time solo with a capuchin monkey which is much like having a permanent 2.5 year old. When people ask her age I answer, " 19 going on 3”. We also have a small dog who was added because the monkey needed a creature lower than her on the totem pole.

I have been a single parent since 1977 when my human daughter was 20 months old. A lot of your success as an RVer will depend on how adaptable your son and dogs are. If your son has to sleep in "his" bed every night to be happy, you'll have challenges. Likewise if you have dogs that get carsick. But if your boy can fall asleep anywhere he feels safe and your dogs love to go for rides you can be looking forward to many great journeys of exploration.

All the work of RVing is easier when shared, but if I can do it alone, I'm sure you can. With proper planning traveling by RV is much easier than packing for a trip and staying in a hotel. If you keep your RV stocked with the essentials you only need to throw in some fresh food and take off.

I HIGHLY recommend magnetic child proof latches on all your lower cabinets and drawers. https://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Ma...d%2Blocks&th=1 I have them on all my upper cabinets, too and the key lives on the microwave surround.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes for you two bachelors.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:49 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
If you want to do it you will be fine. If you don't/can't fix things then you will have to pay for them, once you get tired of having to pay to them you might want to learn how to fix things more. It's the same as a house, I replaced my hot water heater for 200$, the plumber wanted 1400$, that alone left me with 1200$ for another projects screws up, but I also learned how to install a hot water heater. If you enjoy it, do it!
Old 09-22-2016, 08:03 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
My son's first birthday party was in a Class C in Grand Canyon National park!

my, at the time, 4 yr old Daughter still has recollections of THAT trip. Challenges, yes, but with the class c we didn't have to hook and unhook all the time as it was much simpler and self contained.

And imho, the dogs are trained quickly - I tell mine to go to bed and he RUNS to his bed and sits there.

A car seat for your son is not out of the question either for those times you need to protect him from his curiousity

Also, I used to think a leash/harness for kids was cruel until my two got faster than me....
Old 12-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #23

I'm not really sure why anyone is bringing potty training into the equation. I've been camping with my kids since they were babies. We were tent camping when my now 6 year old was in the process of potty training at 20 months. Aside from that issue, I'm not seeing why you couldn't. We went from tent camping to travel trailer to 29 ft class A. Class A is certainly the easiest IMO. I think it's a fabulous experience for kids. I have 3 dogs and 2 kids ages 6 and 9 (2 dogs stay home). We have the time of our lives!
Old 12-09-2016, 01:33 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Based on the fact that you would be doing this for vacations I would say... What are you waiting for? But seriously, we have been RV'ing for the last 15 years, and our two dogs 65 and 75 pounds each, fit in just fine. Now, we started with a 22 foot travel trailer and that was totally fine! :-) We now have a motorhome, and that is even better, but yes I would say go for it. There is even a group on this forum for those who travel as singles, you might want to check that out for advice! :-)

Safe travels!

Eric and Carol Anderson
luvdoggiez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving