Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

Is RVing Even and Option For Me??

I am new to RVing. In fact I am still in the process of weighing if it is for me. Like many on this part of the forum, my personal life has gone through some changes. That being said, I would be traveling with 2 dogs and my son who is 2.5. My question is, would this be doable or am I just barking up the wrong tree. The idea seems great, my son and I seeing new places. Just didn't know if they set up work involved would be too much to do solo etc.

Please advise.
Tillerman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #2

Do you mean like full timing? Or weekend trips? The latter? Sure. The former? Personally I could not do it. I certainly would not do it until potty training is behind you.
Bobski12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobski12 View Post
Do you mean like full timing? Or weekend trips? The latter? Sure. The former? Personally I could not do it. I certainly would not do it until potty training is behind you.
This would be for vacations, long weekend, and trips. Would not be full time RVers.
Tillerman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #4

I can envision a person doing some weekend traveling and sharing first, short camping trips with a two 1/2 year old. And then maybe once you get your routine down, a few longer adventure trips. Potty training as mention, not much of a problem as some may think, just a little preparation.

I would not do it using a trailer, but a class (c) would be perfect for an entry level camper, and safer in IMO for you two.

As far as setup and getting ready to roll, that becomes second nature, and can be done safely with your child by your side, learning as you go.

Before long, you two will be working as a team, planning, navigating, setting up the camper, yeah I can see that....

Go for it, and the best of luck....

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Depends on what type of RVing equipment you are thinking about :tent, pop-up, travel trailer, hybrid trailer, 5th wheel, gas motorhome, class C, Class B.... Each one has it's pro's & con's all depending on price.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobski12 View Post
I'd say traveling with pre-potty trained kid is easier with an RV than other methods. Changing diapers is easier in your own space, and bringing along your own toliet makes training easier too - and also makes post-potty trained potty breaks easier. Factor in dogs, and its the only way to sanely travel.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I did it for years when the wife left me with a one year old. He still remembers it and he's in his mid 40's now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
If you currently do multi-hour drives in the car with the child and dogs, having an RV would make life easier - your own bathroom, refrig, sleeping area, etc.

If you haven't tried it in a car, do that first to see how you handle the logistics. For example, you're driving of the interstate and your child starts crying due to hunger and the dogs are barking that they need to go out. 15 minutes of hell later, you find the exit and pull over. It's 3 against 1. You try to ignore the dogs and get your child fed and changed. Then you have to put him in the stroller so you can take the dogs out. You attempt to carry the stroller out the thin RV door while keeping your son, the toddler, at bay and keeping your dogs from bolting out the open door. If you're able to safely manage this episode, you then realize you have to get everyone and everything back in the RV! Not a pretty picture and not very relaxing!

Instead of an RV, look for a friend, partner in crime, relative, sig other who can handle either the pets or child or both to help you keep your sanity!

You should consider doing the short trip car route for a few years so your child is used to car trips and then jump into RV'ing in a few years when he's more self sufficient. Good luck!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #9

You didn't say what type of RV. Motorhome, trailer, etc. they all have different levels of activity when it comes to setup, and skill level to backup. Personal opinion is that a small motorhome with no slides is perhaps the easiest even if you end up pulling a car to go with you.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #10

Class C and make sure you have the proper seat anchors for the child seat. How big are the dogs? I'd be thinking one retractable leash at each end short enough that they cannot cross each other. That makes the rest very manageable.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:33 PM   #11

Taking a child camping in their formative years is a wonderful thing. I have been doing it for 50 years. Did it with my five children....mostly them and me and now with two of my grandchildren...ages 20 months and nearly 4. But, now my wife is helping me and we have one small dog.

Another thing.....being a "single parent" is really a bummer and I honestly don't know how so many men/women get it done.....frankly. My hat is off to you and them.

Your dogs would probably be a much larger issue....especially if they are big dogs.

Another thing to consider...is the places you might like to go and the travel time to get to them. Then comes the question....do you want to camp "off the grid" (no hook ups) or do you want to have it all...power, water, sewer, wifi etc.

Honestly speaking....I have wonderful memories of "raising my kids" doing weekend camping. We tented it, backpacked it, did it via a "pop up camper" but now have a full blown well appointed trailer.

In your evaluations....think about what you have to do when you are at home....how many different issues do you routinely face? Then think about how it would be different not having a "comfortable stable surrounding". Lot's to think about....and whatever you do....don't base your choices on "emotions"....us your head. It sounds like you are already off to a great start.

Have fun!

Pat
RPatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:37 PM   #12

On 2nd thought after giving your question more thought.

I've noticed it has been over a day since I responded above...so perhaps you've made your decision plus no one else has commented.

After I responded I continued to "think" about your question. My wife and I care for two of our Grandkids(we have 14)...both parents are doctors and have crazy schedules....so we have the kids some part of every day. When both are working long shifts we try to take them camping. Personally, I can tell you it get's pretty demanding with two "toddlers" in the same age group of yours.
Here are some additional thoughts you might want to consider.

When you're in an RV...regardless of the type...there are going to be "must do" things regarding "setup and tear down". Some things need your "serious attention" ...ie. hooking up a trailer, leveling, backing etc. If you miss doing something important it could have very serious consequences. Who's going to take care of your child when your doing this?

Another thing...when you have dogs present they also have needs...which will be a "distraction". When you're home...it's easier but when your on an RV sight...it will be challenging as most campgrounds have "strict" requirements regarding pets. Areas like beaches, pools, playgrounds etc. "don't allow them". Found that out the hard way.

"Distractions" that take your mind off your child's needs while camping are dangerous...especially with one so young..

Finally, what about "your needs"...when it's just you and your child...you've got to make sure your child is safe and secure while you do what needs to be done.

Frankly, in "hindsight"...I wouldn't try RVing in any form or fashion with a "toddler" alone....there are two many things that will need your attention and will be a distraction from taking care of "number one"...your child. You want this "exercise to be enjoyable". Believe me when a small one is "out of sorts" or having their own issues...it is very easy to forget your goal is to have fun. Therefore get help..don't do it "alone".

That's my "two cents" worth and it is based upon 50 years of "camping with small children". Good luck with your decision.

Pat
RPatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:01 AM   #13

If you have had significant changes in your life, a death, a divorce or such. I would not make any big monetary changes now. I would though try to rent a few times and go locally.
olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:31 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Can't speak to the toddler aspect as we don't travel with kids very often and when we do their parents are with us.

I wouldn't let the pet issue slow you down at all. We travel with 2 dogs. My wife takes care of them easily on her own. Most of the CGs we have stayed have designated dog walking areas some fenced in. Most of the rest areas you stop at along the way have pet areas. Only differences for wife between home and away with the pets is away she uses a leash and picks up after the dogs immediately where at home she can do it once daily.

I understand you will be doing it alone but believe me wife is alone in terms of taking care of the pets. My involvement is limited to walking with them in the evening and filling the occasional bowl of water or food.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving