Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #1

Kitty Cat Woes

We are newbie full timers as of less than a week ago. So far we are enjoying it, but one of our cats is not. We awoke this morning to Boo inside our dashboard disconnecting wires.

Anyone else had trouble with a cat in an RV like this? Suggestions?

She's in kitty jail until we can figure out what to do. We've been crying all morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4064680075.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	572.9 KB
ID:	43826  
wanderlusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I'll ask my daughter tonight (she is a zoologist) she will have some ideas. I do know that cats are very upset by the sounds of there surroundings something like a converter buzz can drive them nuts until they get used to it. Don't cry, kitty jail might be the perrrrrrrfect place for now, We wouldn't want Boo to get hurt.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #3

We have traveled with our cats and found that there is an adjustment period as they get familiar with their surroundings. We make sure they have a place of their own with a cushion or blanket. Window access is very important. We have a C, so the overhead bed becomes their area. Obviously food, water and litter box need to be readily available. Bring some cat toys. We have bird toy and a laser light that seems to amuse them. You could also try some catnip sprinkled around. There is a product called Feliway, an area spray that is supposed to help in new environments and relieve stress. You can pick it up at a pet supply store. We have used it when introducing a new cat, but cannot say what effect it had on the cats. Cats can get into the darndest places, so block what you can. Be very careful with opening the door or opening and closing slides. Time is really the only real solution. Take your cat into the motorhome whenever you get a chance. Soon enough the cat will accept it as another "home".
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine were acculmated to the RV.. First I built one BIG kitty jail. it was like 4 feet by 5 feet by 4 foot high, Built it over the dinette table in such a way they could get on the table or chairs, and the outside wall of the RV was one wall of the "Crate" IT was made of plastic "lattice fence" from Lowes or Home Depot.

They finally found their own place..

Of my two cats one was my wife's and he is becomming a problem in that he won't let me near him now that she has passed. he runs and hides and under the dash is his favorite hideing place. So far though he is behaving himself when there.

The female.. She's become very good since my wife passed. She's my girl now after all.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #5

We had her stay with friends for a couple of nights to get our heads straight. Decided to use two custom cut foam pieces to wedge under the dash to cut off access to wires and all openings in the dash. Hopefully this will do the trick!
wanderlusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Of my two cats one was my wife's and he is becomming a problem in that he won't let me near him now that she has passed. he runs and hides and under the dash is his favorite hideing place. So far though he is behaving himself when there.
It's known that animals grieve. His person is gone and he can't understand what happened. Give him time and as much attention as you can. It can take awhile for him to get used to her no longer being in his life. I would still block off the area under the dash. You may open the door one day and he'll make a mad dash....

Quote:
The female.. She's become very good since my wife passed. She's my girl now after all.
Make sure you know where both of them are when you move the slide or open a door.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlusty View Post
We had her stay with friends for a couple of nights to get our heads straight. Decided to use two custom cut foam pieces to wedge under the dash to cut off access to wires and all openings in the dash. Hopefully this will do the trick!
You can also add some orange peels or peppermint oil or camphor flakes/moth balls around the foam. These are odors most cats despise.

Make sure you know where she is BEFORE moving a slide.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess we've been lucky. Never had a real problem with ours while traveling.

The little one in the second picture is on her first trip in the MH.

The third one is Will, rolling around on the MH floor. He died after surgery for a bladder stone. Will came to us, along with two others and two grandkids when my step daughter died,

We have 6 cats that ALWAYS go with us. The three in the first picture are all CFA Japanese Bobtails. The big one in the foreground of the first picture is a retired CFA Grand Premier champion although I think he weighs twice as much now!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDC10595.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	594.4 KB
ID:	43965   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10598.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	580.3 KB
ID:	43966  

Name:	SDC10250.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	43967  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlusty View Post
We are newbie full timers as of less than a week ago. So far we are enjoying it, but one of our cats is not. We awoke this morning to Boo inside our dashboard disconnecting wires.

Anyone else had trouble with a cat in an RV like this? Suggestions?

She's in kitty jail until we can figure out what to do. We've been crying all morning.

She will probably adjust. I'm worried about mine, she's 14 and she lived with me on a boat for 7 years, loved that, except when we were sailing. She absolutely hates riding in the car in her kitty jail. I now have the carrier out in the house, open, and she takes naps in there sometimes. I want her to think of that as her safe place when I get the 5th wheel and start introducing her to another way of "cruising" life. She's been too used to land now.

I plan on introducing her to a vehicle by just sitting there quietly in the driveway with her, maybe with treats or catnip. Then after a few times, we'll turn on the engine and get used to that. Then we can take short trips, and then some longer ones - it may take a while. Maybe when she realizes the car doesn't always mean the VET (!), she will adjust. Any other tips are welcome.

Meanwhile, give her lots of attention, cuddles, catnip, treats and toys and she will get used to things.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Sounds like little Boo is just exploring her new home (and is comfortable enough TO explore, so that's a good thing!)

Cutting off access to all unwanted places she can get into would be a good idea (also make sure that she can't get underneath any of the slideouts while in travel mode). Making a cheap wire gate for the "feet" areas of the driver side dashboard, etc. would definitely be on the list.

It's only been a week and I think as the newness wears off (and any off-limits areas just aren't accessible to her), she'll stop. A few new cat toys, may help divert her attention too!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #11

We used batting (the white fluffy material used to make pillows) to fill open areas under dashboard. This worked very well and can be easily removed if you need to access the area. Purchased at Walmart.
weaverworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not sure if it really works, but Petsmart has a product my wife sprays around the MH each time we move. That's the only time they get a little upset. It's called calming spray. The older male hides behind the couch. The younger female considers it time to help out by checking all the systems before pulling out. She's my girl. The old grouch (the cat) is DW's boy.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Roxy checking systems.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	43984  
Old 08-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Blocking off the dashboard area is exactly the right thing to do. We had to do the same thing & used some wire mesh.

Other things that can help

-> Give kitty "hideout" spots where she can go hide & relax. We use a big box underneath our bed covers and both our cats prefer to go there when we move. We also have some of our shelves dedicated to the cats

-> Relaxing flower essences (e.g. Bach's Rescue Remedy) or Feliway can really help relax kitty before travel

-> Scratch areas...where kitty can scratch (pole, floor)

-> Take it slow. Try to do shorter drives when you start and stay longer in camp. This will give kitty time to adapt. We stayed 2 months in the RV without moving before we started fulltiming. Really helped to give the cats time to find their spots.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:36 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You could also try the Pheromone Collar, it worked for us.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f97/sweet...ip-171365.html

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote