Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2005, 01:25 PM   #1

Thinking of getting the lariat trim on our next truck which only comes with leather seats. We have always had cloth seats in our vehicles. For those of you with a large dog....would a 75 pound Weimaraner's claws be compatable with leather seats in a truck? Dog is well mannered, I'm just worried about when she jumps in and out. Also are leather seats hotter than cloth? This is in SW Texas where it do get a tad warm. Has anybody regretted going to leather?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2005, 01:25 PM   #2

Thinking of getting the lariat trim on our next truck which only comes with leather seats. We have always had cloth seats in our vehicles. For those of you with a large dog....would a 75 pound Weimaraner's claws be compatable with leather seats in a truck? Dog is well mannered, I'm just worried about when she jumps in and out. Also are leather seats hotter than cloth? This is in SW Texas where it do get a tad warm. Has anybody regretted going to leather?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #3

I don't know for sure but I have a 2001 f-150 with the Laret package and have fond that the leather seat are not only VERY comfy but also quite forgiving they have held up very well Our small poddle did not like them though as she could not get any grip on them and always slid around so she had her own personal pillow to sit on It pasified her as long as she got to go with good luck with them

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:12 PM   #4

Bob & the Big Dog ,

We're down here in Port Aransas, until tomorrow when we head to Mecedes. Two weeks ago we went to Kingville to tour the King Ranch and then we stopped by a Ford dealer on the way back to check out the KING RANCH model and boy do I have to tell you, "THAT IS ONE FINE TRUCK"! If you haven't seen it or sat in it, your missing a really beautiful truck. I don't think the Lariat will compare, it's really top notich.

We have had leather seating in all our car and trucks, and wouldn't have anything but leather. "Leather is for ever". One thing we do with and for our dogs, is put towels or old blankets on the seats where they will set. This has work fine for both of us. Cloth seating is not as easy to get in and out of as leather and we certainly don't think it's any hotter in the summer. Now I wouldn't expect you to be butterball naked and sit on the seat on a 110 degree day without some sort of covering, but to each their own.

Tomcat F15
Old 02-02-2005, 04:50 PM   #5

Good luck with the leather seats. Our boxer...65lbs. broke holes into the dash on the MH I'm not sure if it will hold up or not, but the dash feels like leather. Be sure you put a towel or sheet over them. Good luck

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:59 AM   #6

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but- (having been an ins adjuster)your "comp" coverage does cover damage to your interior, even if done by your own dog.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:18 AM   #7

Leather has several 'grades' and depends on whether it is dyed or coated. Most good leather will breathe and will not get hot like you would expect. As for dogs, and cats, leather is pretty tough and hard to tear or rip, unlike plastic materials and even cloth

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:56 PM   #8

I have leather and a 55 lb dog.She has not did any damage to the seats.I do have a dog blanket for her,but she runs around the truck and has never even scratched the leather.I have leather seats in the car as well as the truck and would not get anything else,it is not hot in the summer and is not cold in the winter.
RichR
Old 02-03-2005, 04:31 PM   #9

We have an 85 lb Lab and a 60 lb Austie, and the leather seats in our MH has some nasty marks in them. We always opt for the cloth seats in our cars, but the MH came equiped with leather. Good luck. See ya.
John

W-22 Vortec 8.1L
Roaminsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:04 AM   #10

my dogs are half yours size and i HATE my leather seats......my female feels the need to fluff everything before she lays down..my car isn't even a year old and you should see my seat...I just covered them all up with water proof covers & i am so much happier.

BUT i take my dogs to work with me on a construction site so they are in car 6 out of 7 days 3-5 times a day....so not just normal riding

San Antonio, Texas
DanJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 02:06 AM   #11

We have a Lariet with the leather seats, and 2 German Shepherds. I personally wouldn't go any other way, as with dogs, well you can wipe leather down and the "doggy odor" doesn't permeate the seats. We keep the rear bench folded down, with 2 dog beds on top, and it works great. They don't venture into the front seats, as they're pretty well behaved, grew up in the RV lifestyle
Old 02-07-2005, 07:34 PM   #12

Just get the optional cargo seat (rear). It folds flat and then you can put down a blanket or doggie bed. He'll have a lot more room, you have leather and you don't have to worry about him destroying the rear seat.

'99 Sunnybrook/Mobile Scout 26cks
motorjock is offline   Reply With Quote