Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #1

Leaving pets in RV?

We travel with 4 dogs, I'm finding it a issue in some campgrounds with leaving them in the RV while we go out exploring. What is the problems if they are in the RV? We can't take them in most super-markets and many other places are not pet friendly either. What are we supposed to do?
Why do some CG charge per dog? They don't add much to the operating cost, we clean up after ours, if though I've notice some ppl don't. The last CG I was at charged $2 per dog that adds $8 a day, thats was an addition $56 for the week.
They may be pet friendly but not owner or pocket book friendly.
meterguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
What is your issue with leaving them in the RV in some campgrounds? Is it prohibited? (Perhaps they worry the power will go out and they will be sued for your dog expiring in the heat. Or else they don't want incessant barking.)
Old 08-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The second reason for us to travel with our 5er, besides having our own home along, is for the dogs. We love our furkids and can't imagine leaving them in a kennel. I don't think charging for dogs to stay in a camper is right. I could see if they tore up the site or were not picked up after, that a deposit might be in order. But just to charge cuz they exist isn't a good business decision. I will never stay anyplace like that. I would pay a refundable deposit. Some people just think to charge for every little add-on is a way to more income. And I don't consider them pet friendly.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by meterguru View Post
We travel with 4 dogs, I'm finding it a issue in some campgrounds with leaving them in the RV while we go out exploring. What is the problems if they are in the RV? We can't take them in most super-markets and many other places are not pet friendly either. What are we supposed to do?
Why do some CG charge per dog? They don't add much to the operating cost, we clean up after ours, if though I've notice some ppl don't. The last CG I was at charged $2 per dog that adds $8 a day, thats was an addition $56 for the week.
Because it's just another excuse to take some money out of your pocket!

If you're a responsible pet owner, cleaning up after your dog, and leave your campsite like you found it, there's absolutely no reason they should charge a premium. In fact, I can see why they charge for kids. Kids will use the pool, showers, etc,. Dogs don't use any of that.

The only way I can see paying extra is if the park has special ammenities just for pets. Say something like a dog park or play area. The camp ground had to spend money to set it up and maintain it. ... but if it's just a charge just because... well that's just a revenue generator.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some campgrounds have rules that prohibit leaving a pet unattended in your RV while you are away. I have 2 labs, would never do it, they go with us. I can say I have been the unfortunate neighbor to a camper who left his 2 dogs all day, and all they did was bark. The other reason I would imagine is if it is hot, the power goes out, and your pets are left in a box that is basically an oven since the AC cannot come on due to the power. My guess is someone, somewhere sued.
As for charging extra, they do it because they can.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We don't leave our dogs alone in the RV for more than two hours at a time. In the summer we leave the Air Conditioners on for their comfort, but if the power goes out or the Coach has a failure of some kind than it could get dangerous for the critters. They are why we haven't visited many National Parks, a lot of them do not allow Dogs even on a leash.

We have been charged per night for them but it doesn’t happen often because were more camping people than RV Resort types. State parks are more to our likeing. If were meeting someone or going to a rally at place that requires a fee we just pay it.

I suppose it's like a car in the heat of the summer, if you leave them for too long you can get sited for Animal Cruelty.

Dick
Old 08-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #7

We do have a 5 wheel but

We leave our dogs in the RV with the AC on set at 76 and unless some one knocks on our RV the dogs are quiet most of the time. Some thing loud may set them off but they quiet right back down. We take them with us when we can but if we are going in some where we can't leave them in the truck. We want to travel around and visit places, and take our pups when we can but what is wrong with leave them in the 5er, should not be any different then leaving them in your home?
meterguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
We don't leave our dogs alone very often, but if we need to, we use our Turbo Kool swamp cooler. It runs off 12 volt, and water. It won't cool the MH enough for me, but it does keep it cool enough to protect the doggies. It's also very handy for cooling at night when we can't/shouldn't run the generator. We mostly boondock.
Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #9

If the weather is hot enough to require A/C to keep the RV below 80 degrees, we will leave the dog for no longer than an hour with the thermostat set at 72. Otherwise, we take him with us and lock him in the SUV with the A/C running if we need to shop or eat. We always check back at least every hour.

Another option is to find some other camper who is willing to dog-sit for a few hours. A gratuity of adult beverage or restaurant gift card works well.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm finding it a issue in some campgrounds with leaving them in the RV while we go out exploring. What is the problems if they are in the RV? We can't take them in most super-markets and many other places are not pet friendly either.
Of all the commercial rv parks we have been to (maybe 150 in 5 years) there have only been three or four with rules against leaving pets inside rvs when owners are not there. If the dogs do not bark while you are gone, how would they know?

Quote:
Why do some CG charge per dog?
Whatever the stated reason, businesses increase charges to discourage behavior or to compensate for what they perceive as their increased cost when customers exhibit the behavior. We very rarely (maybe once every two years) find a park with a pet upcharge. We then decide whether to pay the price or move on.

Quote:
We travel with 4 dogs
Whether fair or not, I think you will find some pretty negative vibes when campgrounds and neighbors find you have that many with you. We are pet lovers (our pets are always all "spoiled rotten" breeds), but our experiences make us very leery of parking next to someone with more than two dogs. Some have been good neighbors, but our general experiences in this situation have not been pleasant.

Good luck in your travels - you will find acceptable places to stay if you can be a bit flexible.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #11

Quote:
The problem is all the dogs left for the day that bark incessantly and drive the other campers crazy, causing them to complain to the management or camp host. No one wants to hear barking dogs for hours on end.

Quote:
I was told by a camp host it's to cover the cost of sending an employee out to clean up the feces the dog owners refuse to pick up. And to clean campsites left looking like doggie toilets.

Don't kill the messenger, I'm just repeating what I was told.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
The second reason for us to travel with our 5er, besides having our own home along, is for the dogs. We love our furkids and can't imagine leaving them in a kennel. I don't think charging for dogs to stay in a camper is right. I could see if they tore up the site or were not picked up after, .......
I personally think the places that charge for dogs simply want to discourage the dog owners, not make more income. Dogs can cause a headache to the CG owner or host when they have certain types of selfish inconsiderate owners.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #13

Quote:
We leave our dogs in the RV with the AC on set at 76 and unless some one knocks on our RV the dogs are quiet most of the time..........
They can't go by your claim that they're quiet. What dog owner is going to admit to the CG host that their dog or dogs bark hours on end? All they have is your word for it.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Fortunately I have never been anywhere that charged extra for dogs or had a rule that you couldn't leave you dogs unattended. How do you go to the pool if dogs are not allowed there and you can't leave your dogs unattended? I have had to leave my dogs in the motorhome and in Texas it can become HOT very quickly. I do have pet signs posted on both sides of my rig with my cell number on it.

I have been visiting people next to my motorhome and listened to see if my dogs were barking. They were quiet unless someone walked thru my campsite or knocked on my door.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote