RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #1

Litter Box Recommendations

We are getting ready to be living out of our RV for a while. We donít normally travel with our cat, but will obviously have him living with us.

I am interested to here which litter boxes most use, and where they put them.

Right now, in between the driver seat and firewall is where we are thinking. Itís a tight space, but keeps litter out of the rest of the RV. Requires a tight fit, but itís doable...

Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #2

My wife has 3 cats, (I have none) My preference would be no pets but since ''she'' has them. I went to Target and bought a couple of Sterilite plastic storage boxes and they're on both sides of the toilet in the rear of our coach. Those plastic storage boxes make great litter boxes at and 1/4 the price for a brand name litter box

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
My wife has 3 cats, (I have none) My preference would be no pets but since ''she'' has them. I went to Target and bought a couple of Sterilite plastic storage boxes and they're on both sides of the toilet in the rear of our coach. Those plastic storage boxes make great litter boxes at and 1/4 the price for a brand name litter box

Thanks for the reply! We are definitely looking at those as option.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #4

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
We keep ours in the bathroom. I made a little bracket to hold the shower door open about 4 inches and put it in there when we are stopped.
Going down the road, it sits on the bathroom floor. We have tiles in there, so easy to sweep up the bits he drags out.
Huey Lewis is a 20 pound Ragdoll, so he can drag litter around a fair bit.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
We keep ours in the bathroom. I made a little bracket to hold the shower door open about 4 inches and put it in there when we are stopped.

Going down the road, it sits on the bathroom floor. We have tiles in there, so easy to sweep up the bits he drags out.

Huey Lewis is a 20 pound Ragdoll, so he can drag litter around a fair bit.

Happy Glamping.

Thank you!
Old 06-12-2019, 05:57 AM   #6

When I went FT I decided it was a pain to deal with finding a place to wash out pans, etc. At PetSmart I found
Nature's Miracleģ Disposable Cat Litter Box
There are a few sizes though not all sizes are available at each store. The pan is lasting 4-6 weeks. Not plastic so I feel OK about long term earth friendly disposal (as much as these things can be). Certainly much stronger than the old cardboard "disposable" pans. I used to be able to go longer with each pan but as both cats have kidney issues the inner coating takes more of a beating now. I also have found it useful to use something like the Assurance blue under pads (the size for under sheets to protect beds) as the cover under the pan - not because the pans have a problem but because sometimes things happen with the cats. It is easy to just roll up the pads, gathering the scattered litter etc and put a fresh one out.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #7

My wife just decided to order something similar that will deliver a new box and litter monthly. Supposedly itís guaranteed not to have any odor for the month. I guess weíll see.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
In our current coach we use a covered litterbox on the far side of the bed, fits perfectly between the bed and the back wall with a rubber litter catch mat in front to help control the spread of litter. Our previous coach had a taller area under the bed so I walled off a small section that just fit the litter box with some plastic sheeting from Home Depot, cut a hole for access and used a kayak hatch cover to dress up the hole.
Brave-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave-r View Post
In our current coach we use a covered litterbox on the far side of the bed, fits perfectly between the bed and the back wall with a rubber litter catch mat in front to help control the spread of litter. Our previous coach had a taller area under the bed so I walled off a small section that just fit the litter box with some plastic sheeting from Home Depot, cut a hole for access and used a kayak hatch cover to dress up the hole.

Thanks for the insight. While we have definitely made some huge modifications, I am always worried about permanent modifications that cannot be reverted, should we decide to sell. We donít always travel with the cat, but will be living out of the RV for at least 4 months.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tommy-

Our coach has a cabinet immediately across from the bathroom door. It has two doors at floor level. I removed those doors. The litter box fits inside, with space for a box of litter and laundry detergent bottles alongside. I put a clear plastic protector under all, atop the carpet. When we sell the coach, it all comes out, and the doors go back on.

The first owners of the coach put the litter box under the bed, and cut a hole in the side of the bed frame. The hole is a bit rough. They retained the plug and put it back when they sold the coach. We did not like the idea of the litter box in that location, which is why we did not use the first owner's "door" into that space.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #11

We have bunk beds and 99% of the time nobody in them. Used the lower bunk sans bedding, as Pet control area. Covered the space with clear plastic rug runner from kmart. Covered sandbox, cat and dog kennels, food, etc. Cleaned litter as needed or twice daily whichever comes first... Unfortunately had to put cat down, so now just dog stuff.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #12

Our fifth wheel camper had a stack W/D in the closet which we removed and replaced with a combo W/D. I made a shelf 16" off the floor for the W/D to sit on so we don't have to bend over so often and we put the litter box under the closet shelf with a cat door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer_Dryer.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	249722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat Door.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	249723  

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #13

We use just an ordinary, uncovered litter box (same as at home) and it sits in the bathroom just outside the shower door. the only pain about that is DW has to move it every morning for me to take a shower. But haven't found a better solution.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Tommy-

Our coach has a cabinet immediately across from the bathroom door. It has two doors at floor level. I removed those doors. The litter box fits inside, with space for a box of litter and laundry detergent bottles alongside. I put a clear plastic protector under all, atop the carpet. When we sell the coach, it all comes out, and the doors go back on.

The first owners of the coach put the litter box under the bed, and cut a hole in the side of the bed frame. The hole is a bit rough. They retained the plug and put it back when they sold the coach. We did not like the idea of the litter box in that location, which is why we did not use the first owner's "door" into that space.

Thanks for the response! Weíre still looking at the space in between the steering wheel and driverís seat. We havenít found any non-permanent solutions any better at this point, but I am investigating all the tips that are being provided.

Thanks again!