Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Wheeler.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	16140
We travel with Tinker, she started at 8 wks and is going on 6 yrs.
We use the green jug stuff from Costco when we can get it otherwise Tidy Cat. While your cat is still a kitten, break it to a harness and lesh. It makes it so much safer when you stop for fuel, rest areas, and the cat will enjoy the outdoors and walks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mar 29 07 (1).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	16142  
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to Fresh Step Paw Points

You will find the brand I use.. Oh, and bookmark that page, Once you buy you cut out the proper spot on the outer box, and go there and enter the code on the back and in time you get free stuff.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1dgh View Post
So, we've RV'd for years, but have a recent addition (adopted a kitten) who will be hitting the road with us soon. I've had cats for years, but never RV'd with one. My question is regarding litter. At home, I've been a huge proponent of the scoopable cat litter, but the little one prefers the non-scoopable, and once we switched to that, I've noticed a huge improvement in smell. He's been in one bedroom, and it used to REEK, but now with the new litter, it's so much better. He's been confined until he got big enough to be introduced to Her Majesty, our 11 year old fat cat, but I think tomorrow's the day.

In any case, I'd like input on what type of litter you use in your coach!

Thanks!
Thanks for bringing up a great question. I'm still looking for a MH but the "girls" will be traveling with me when I get one.

I've had indoor cats in varying numbers for many years. Current crop is two Norwegian Forest Cats and with their very fuzzy feet, litter tracking is the biggest problem. My townhouse is small--not even a basement--so odor has always been an issue to reckon with. (I recently figured out that if I settle on a 40"+ MH with multiple slide, I will have about 30% of the space of my addressed home. No lawn to mow though! )

I use a scoopable multi-cat formula (usually Tidy Cat but there's a couple they like especially the scent go figure!) Regular attention especially if somebody doesn't bury properly keeps things good; if the bad bury is too nasty, I burn a little incense (hate air freshening sprays bad on asthma)--cedar or sandalwood is nice.

I don't worry about traveling with them. Kootie loves to go; Heidi not so much but will go along with whatever Kootie does. In the car, Heidi feels best in a carrier. I have a large kennel type lined with comfy things that she's comfy with. The sherpa bag is good to the vet. Kootie, well, she'd steer if she could. Oh, and she's my guard cat too. Yep, she will growl and pace if she spies someone that she doesn't like; I've found her "cat-scan" assessment to be quite accurate so if I boarded some conveyance and she growled, I'd get off (how do you explain that to officials though?).

I don't worry about them scratching because there is no doubt in their minds that tearing things up is forbidden. Heidi gets a little nuts with newspaper but there's no good news anyway.

My biggest worry is escaping kitties when camping. Do I put them on a leash every time I step out the door? Is there such a thing as baby/pet gate that fits a MH? They don't try this at home although once in a while Kootie runs into the backyard; in a strange place though, she may just go wherever. One odd thing, too, is that since our earthquake, she's been on the skittish side and sticks really close by me. I'm not sure what she will think of a house on wheels (probably should avoid a FRED unless she thinks it's purring to her).

Sorry I put such a lot in my post. Have a lot on my mind.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #32

clay litter

I have found good ol fashioned clay litter works the best for my two cats and its cheap, less than $5 for a 20 lb bag at wal mart. Seems like there was always a odor with clumping litter. Scoop daily and replace weekly..lil cat box deodorizer if needed. Tried the new corn and ol newpaper litter and those were smelly and expensive.
mojocat27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We take all seven (7) of ours with us. Two are registered JBT's (Japanese Bobtails), three came from the Humane Society and two came to us when my step daughter died (as did two grandkids!).
We use the Tidy Cat multiple cat litter in one box, scooped daily, maybe more often depending on the smell!!
The youngest JBT loves to go for walks on a leash. The older one (retired CFA Grand Premier) used to walk on a leash but he's gotten lazy and we need to work with him again.
We have a friend (actually the JBT breeder) that makes the harnesses and has been selling them for years. They have two leash attachment points, one for training and one for later use.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat27 View Post
I have found good ol fashioned clay litter works the best for my two cats and its cheap, less than $5 for a 20 lb bag at wal mart. Seems like there was always a odor with clumping litter. Scoop daily and replace weekly..lil cat box deodorizer if needed. Tried the new corn and ol newpaper litter and those were smelly and expensive.
Tidy Cat is $11.97 for 42#'s at Costco, cheaper if they have it on sale.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorloser View Post
Also, what is everybody using for a litter box? I've read on another forum where they were using a rbbermaid container with higher sides to prevent the mess. They also mentioned cutting the Rubbermaid container lid with a hole in the top.
We use those large clear totes from Wal*Mart. They're much better than the regular litter boxes. We leave the lids off. An old arthritic cat may have a problem getting into a tote but our cats are all three and under so no problem. We have two of these in our 28' NorthTrail BRS28. They're scooped twice a day, in to a plastic grocery bag, tied tightly and put in the trash. We use a clumping litter. There are no cat odors in our home or the NT RV.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKat View Post
Thanks for bringing up a great question. I'm still looking for a MH but the "girls" will be traveling with me when I get one.

My biggest worry is escaping kitties when camping. Do I put them on a leash every time I step out the door? Is there such a thing as baby/pet gate that fits a MH? They don't try this at home although once in a while Kootie runs into the backyard; in a strange place though, she may just go wherever. One odd thing, too, is that since our earthquake, she's been on the skittish side and sticks really close by me. I'm not sure what she will think of a house on wheels (probably should avoid a FRED unless she thinks it's purring to her).

Sorry I put such a lot in my post. Have a lot on my mind.
We kept a spray bottle of plain clean water outside the RV. When we opened the door anyone who was near got a squirt. That soon kept all three away from the opening door. Many CGs we've been to had cats that were left behind when they escaped their owners RV and the owner had to leave without them. Shell Mound in TN had a few dogs that were left behind, as well as cats. Very sad. Most of these ex-pets starve to death in the off season I was told.

Watch those slides. I read about cats being severely injured and even killed in them.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Just a side note on litter. If the cat has been declawed (no I am not saying to declaw) you really have to watch the size of the litter. Our first cat we rescued was declawed on all four when we got him. The reason given that he was turned into the shelter was litter box problems. We asked the vet what problems it could be and she informed us that with the cat being declawed that if the pieces are too big then it can hurt the paws and Hershey would not want to use it. If the pieces are too small then they can get caught in his paws and he might not get them out and again he won't want to use it. She also informed us that it could be the perfumes in alot of the litters now adays. Cats have a strong sense of smell and too strong of a smell he again won't want to use it.

Again I do NOT suggest nor agree with declawing, we just happened to adopt Hershey and he was declawed on both front and back. He's now passed and we now have Gascap who has 7 toes on each foot and whomever had him declawed him on the front and it looks like he also suffered some abuse somewhere.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1dgh View Post
He's been in one bedroom, and it used to REEK, but now with the new litter.....
How can it reek if you scoop the poop and urine clumps twice a day? We have 3 cats in our RV and there never has been any cat smells.

If there are smells you need a litter with a good clumping deodorant litter and scoop more often.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
We found the PERFECT litter box! Clevercat can be used with any clumping litter. It's a top entry. Hardly any litter mess. Here is the Amazon Link. Amazon.com: Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box: Pet Supplies
tam and ger is offline   Reply With Quote