Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New addition

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5002-.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	20559

A TNR cat has made her way to our front porch about two months ago and we are going to see if she can be made into an inside cat

We had been feeding her every day but she would not let you touch or get very close to her. Last Sunday morning before church I decided it was time to try and capture her. I was feeding her and since I was pretty close to her I thought I might be able to grab her. With a little luck I was able to grab her and put her in a cage.

She seems like a very sweet kitty, only time will tell if she will addapt to inside life and going on camping trips.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cute kitty. Hope all works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to brandypup
She is cute. Is there a colony around there? Any chance you can find the colony care taker and let them know? I know as I manage a colony of ferals if one disapears I tend to fret.

I think it's great to make her indoors. I have 3 indoor feral cats. Butterball, Pisces and Zodie.

The way I did it was give them a room of their own and didn't force myself upon them. Eventually they got rome of the apartment. Feed them and talk tot hem. I can now pet Pisces with in the last 2 years. I have had her since 2004. She is happy to be inside though. All 3 are happy indoors.

She may not have been born outside but dumped/lost and wondd up in a colony and TNR'd. Butterball I got in as a kittne, Zoide and Pisces are siblings but Zodie is so non feral he is a lush lol.

Good luck!
PAWS - Keeping Cats Safe and Happy Inside Your Home
IndyFeral - Taming Cats and Kittens
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We called our neighbor who has been taking care of the local colony and he thought it might have been one that he had taken to ACTs in Tampa, but now he is not sure because there is one that looks like her still around. According to his records, if it is one that he took to ACT she is a little over two years old.

We took her to ACT yesterday for her checkup and shots, and a chip, and to make sure she didn't have aids of leukemia.

She has completely baffled us with her disposition

She is sweet, loves to be cuddled and petted and does not run from us when put in a room. As far as we know she has never had any socialization with humans other than feeding.

I hope she can get along with our other two that we captured from the wilds when they were only about four months old.

Ron
Old 05-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #5

Kudos to you!! Sounds like a sure fit.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I sure hope this socialization process moves along at a fast rate, we only have 4 weeks before our next camping trip coming up Memorial Day.

We let her have full access to the family room and kitchen this evening, and she did pretty well. At first she tried to get out every window and the sliding glass door, and did a lot of crying but eventually settled down.

Our other two cats aren't too happy at this point but I'm sure they will come around.

We hadn't planned on getting another cat but this one sort of adopted us, and I made the mistake of feeding her

During the first few days of her adopting us process she brought us two rats and a chewed up lizzard.

We are anxious to get her acquainted with our other two spoiled rotten fur babies

Ron
Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Blessings to you for adopting this furbaby....she will have a great home.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have a question. What is a TNR cat?? We have a feral cat that was found in a pile of trash at 4 weeks old. She is now 1 1/2. We have had her spayed and for awhile she was content staying indoors. We have since gone full time and are having a hard time keeping her from getting out. Any suggestions? We have a water bottle that we spray her and a firm NO, but she still sneaks out. Once out we can't catch her, but she does come back when she is done playing. We thought of getting a cage to put her in outside, but I don't think that is going to satisfy her. Any help would be appreciated.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #9

bsirby- TNR is trap Neuter and Release. The cats have a left ear tip which means the corner tip of the ear was removed for identifaction purposes (so they do not get trapped and re taken to the vet)

For your cat, she just needs more indoor stuff to do. Cat scratchers, something to climb on, pounce and jump games. A lazer light is ideal for getting them that energy out. You can also try a scat mat at the door. It's a electrical pulse when stepped on. I use it for the christmas tree to keep the cats out. They learn it quickly. It's shocking but not hurtful on the medium and low settings. (high kinda hurts yea I am that dumb)

there is a thread on here were someone converted their overhead area into a cat room with a screen and door. In that thread are also some really nice window boxes and such for cats. It's a great thread for some ideas. if I find it I will bump it.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks Brandypup. I tried everything I could think of to figure what TNR could be. LOL I think the scat mat might help. I will also get her some more games that hopefully the dog won't tear up. I never thought of it as her needing more to do inside. She sure likes to watch the birds so I thought that's why she wanted to get out. I saw where the folks converted the overhead, but we don't have one so that won't be an option. I also like her to have run of the MH. Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:28 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brenda or Frank,

Does your cat have a chip? I know we are going to have trouble keeping our new addition in because all of her life has been outdoors.

We are now giving her full run of the house and she is calming down a bit, but still wants to get out. I hope in time she gets more comfortable being inside.

Our Blackie, who is no longer with us, was an inside outside cat before we got her, and we made her an inside cat. She got out on several occasions but we were able to catch her before she got too far away

Good luck with finding a way to keep her inside,

Ron
Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Our Purrscilla is microchipped with the Bayer resQ microchip. Then we registered her microchip on the Petlink website (included with the cost of the resQ microchip). We also received a blue plastic tag that attaches to the animal's collar. It alerts people that it is microchipped and has an 800 number to call.

The PetLink folks email me periodically and ask me to logon and review my information to ensure everything's up to date.

Sure hope we never have to use it but, just in case...

Our "Purr" is an indoor/outdoor cat at home, but she's all indoor when we camp. We have a large collapsable Boots & Barkley® Large Pop Open Dog Kennel : Target that fits perfectly in the back seat of our crew cab (with the seats folded up, of course). It has enough room for kitty, food, water and a small litter box.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
Brenda or Frank,

Does your cat have a chip? I know we are going to have trouble keeping our new addition in because all of her life has been outdoors.

We are now giving her full run of the house and she is calming down a bit, but still wants to get out. I hope in time she gets more comfortable being inside.

Our Blackie, who is no longer with us, was an inside outside cat before we got her, and we made her an inside cat. She got out on several occasions but we were able to catch her before she got too far away

Good luck with finding a way to keep her inside,

Ron
No, we didn't get her microchiped. Wish we had done it when we took her to be spayed. We didn't have a problem when we were in the house or when we were in the Class C. Now she is wanting out all the time. We have to back out the door or she will sneak past us and catching her is next to impossible. She comes home every time she gets out but I would prefer she not get out at all. I'm not sure she will ever not want to get out. She has learned how to open the plastic handle guard on the screen door and jump out. I am going to try more indoor activity and see what happens. Good luck with yours.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
She is beautiful. I think it is great that you are giving both her and the other cats time to get acquainted with each other. In my experience, cats almost always accept each other, some just take longer than others. My older cat Ginger was so distraught about her life's partner dying that it took her six full months to accept the new girl. But, now they are just the best friends.
DogsCamping is offline   Reply With Quote