Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Ole dog needing ramp and need it for generator as well

Well, the ole girl is getting up there in age (12 1/2) and I'm needing a ramp for the open frame generator as well.

The gen set is almost 24" wide with the wheel kit so looking at something that is 24" wide at least.

I'd like to find one that is 6' or 8' that is fold-able. I know, this is a stretch LOL.

I've thought of the wheelchair ramps but they are usually to wide to fit the doorway to the trailer. It's 30" wide at the most.

I don't want to break the dang bank though. Most I've seen that are decent are in the $400 range......Yikes.

Regular pet ramps are in the $70 range but they are usually only 14 to 17" wide. That would work for the dog but not the generator.

Heck, even a link to a ramp build would work for me. Got all the tools and if I can't find something I'll probably just create a build. A link would be easier.

Thanks in advance,
stinger
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #2

I was confused by your post.

I understand the issue of getting the dog in and out - we have been there.

For the generator... Is this a "job site" generator that you remove from the storage bins of the RV before you use it?

If I am picturing stuff correctly...

Would a vest with a handle work for the dog? We vest-up our 20-pound dog because it is convenient to pick her up and move her. For a big dog, one of the folding ramps from the pets store would be the best answer.

For the generator, if the issue is getting it out of the RV for routine use, my thought is to have it in a sliding drawer - pull it out for use, slide it in to travel. No need to change the height of it. Heavy-duty slides are available from Amazon.

Matt B
Old 10-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #3

What I did was put the dog ramp to the entry of the RV so Charlie didn't have to deal with the first set of stairs. Worked perfectly for her. So get a ramp that will support the weight of the generator and put it over the entry stairs for you dog, the next 2 hopefully would be doable on his/her own.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Hey Matt,
Sorry about not being clear on things. The harness with a handle wouldn't really work as she is a full blood black lab.

As for a heavy duty sliding drawer, we have a 30 foot camp trailer so that wouldn't really work either. There isn't a storage compartment large enough for the gen to sit in.
As for loading and unloading the get set, I wan't to put it in the back of our Suburban tow vehicle. The wheel kit on the generator is 23 1/2" wide.
That is the reason for needing a ramp at least 24" but not over about 29" so it would fit the door of the travel trailer which is right about 30" wide.

Trying to find a ramp that is wide enough for the gen and can be also used for letting the dog in and out of the trailer.

I hope that makes a little bit more sense? LOL
Old 10-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #5

Ramp for Gen and Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger608 View Post
Hey Matt,
Sorry about not being clear on things. The harness with a handle wouldn't really work as she is a full blood black lab.

As for a heavy duty sliding drawer, we have a 30 foot camp trailer so that wouldn't really work either. There isn't a storage compartment large enough for the gen to sit in.
As for loading and unloading the get set, I wan't to put it in the back of our Suburban tow vehicle. The wheel kit on the generator is 23 1/2" wide.
That is the reason for needing a ramp at least 24" but not over about 29" so it would fit the door of the travel trailer which is right about 30" wide.

Trying to find a ramp that is wide enough for the gen and can be also used for letting the dog in and out of the trailer.

I hope that makes a little bit more sense? LOL
I was looking for this same thing for different reason and ran across one but it is only 17 inches wide. I did find them wider but they were for ATVs and trailers and yes they are way over priced. Good luck (all my search was on Amazon)
KtyTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #6

Buy two 17" ramps. Use one for your dog and both for the generator.
Lynn
Old 10-08-2019, 06:19 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Buy two 17" ramps. Use one for your dog and both for the generator.
Lynn
Well, that would certainly work.............Doh!!!!
Jeez, I don't know why I hadn't even thought about doing that.

Thanks Lynn!
Old 10-08-2019, 06:27 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Re: "The harness with a handle wouldn't really work as she is a full blood black lab."

It works very well with our 120# chocolate male Lab with a bad ACL. Only way we can get him in the coach since he will not get on the ramp no matter how much we bribe him. When we put the harness on we do not connect the back until he's finished with his "business" because sometimes the strap would "get in the way". With the harness we don't have to pick him up (but we could) since lifting up on his rear is enough to get him started up the stairs.

Tags
generator