Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #1

Pennsylvania State Parks

Hello, we are looking to stay at one of the Pennsylvania State Parks that allow pets. I see that the website states "No more than two non-caged pets are allowed to stay on any one campsite" .

You guessed the problem.. we have three dogs.

Has anyone ever stayed with more then two?

Do they ask?
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #2

Not familiar with PA CGs, but when faced with this type situation, my wife and I just never walk all the dogs at the same time--and 2 of ours are similar looking. Have never been 'audited' for dog count.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #3

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
This is going to be a tough question to answer. But, let's look at it from this perspective:

Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in PA state parks. Yet, look in any PA state park campground dumpster and you'll see more liquor and beer bottles, cans, cases, boxes or whatever, than you can shake a stick at. With all this drinking going on, I have only witnessed one incident where campers were ejected from the campground; and only because the two intoxicated guys started fighting over a girlfriend(?) they had brought with them.

I've camped with my cat in a non-pet site. While this violates the camp rules, it's actually better for the cat because when I camp in the pet sites, there are usually so many dogs barking and being walked on the street that it becomes upsetting to the cat. However, I do get concerned that kitty will be seen by the ranger while she's sitting in the doorway just looking out the screen door and minding her own business.

A lot is also going to depend on the park itself. Some parks are more "stuffy" than others in enforcing the rules, and, if the park is short staffed, patrols through the campground will likely be few and far between. Even when you plan to camp makes a difference. Rangers will be less tolerant to rule violations during times when the campground's full than when there are only a handful of campers in residence.

In the end (bottom line), I believe that whether you are "called" for violating the two dog rule will hinge upon whether anyone complains to the park ranger or you've done something to irritate the ranger (like excessive barking from your dogs) and he's looking for some violation to boot you out. If your dogs are quiet, not too large or mean, I'd bet that no one will give a rats rear end whether you have three. But, I wouldn't "advertise" that fact.

In your post you wanted to know if they ask how many dogs. Well, I don't know about dogs but they always ask if you have alcoholic beverages. But, I'm sure they could eject half the campground for all those who answered "No" yet still bring them in. So, You shouldn't feel guilty lying if they ask how many dogs and you say "two".
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We've camped in a few PA state park campgrounds & I have witnessed, twice, a campsite with more than 2 dogs & the dogs were small - 3 mini doxies one time & 2 toy poodles & a pug another time. They didn't spend much time outside their respective RV's so if it weren't for the fact they sat on the dash looking out, I wouldn't have even known they were there. Both incidents were in the "off season" (fall) with few other campers around so it probably wasn't an issue.

Frank is right that if the dogs are quiet & another camper doesn't complain (how many of them know 2 is the limit?) you'll probably get away with it.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:57 AM   #5

Thanks for the great replies. Yes they are quiet (and old).. George is going to be 13, Shadow 12 and Gracie is 7.

We have camped wit them in the past. If they are outside they are tied.
To be honest they have two things on their checklist every day. Get up, eat and go for a walk, after that its back to bed to sleep.

Thanks again. I want to go to Rickets Glen State Park in April.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 AM   #6

Just wondering to myself what this means??
"No more than two non-caged pets are allowed to stay on any one campsite"

Four dogs in an expen, is that caged???
Six dogs in crates in the rv, is that caged???

ok, bird in cage....sure
Old 11-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Frank what do you mean PA
Quote:
Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in PA state parks
that wouldn't be camping.

Yes, I have noticed the last two years upon check-in you are asked if you have any alcoholic beverages in your RV. Last year I forgot I made a reservation at Clear Creek on the site right next to the camp host, so all 4 evenings I had to kind of watch it....keep it (bottled beer in a can cozy) in a box next to my recliner while outside by the fire.

OK, back to the pet ? My parents a few years back were kicked out of I believe Prince Gallitzin State Park near State Collage because their dog tag was expired. Upon check-in they were asked if the shots and tag were up to date. Here the next day the park called Ohio to check on the Ohio tag and found out it had expired. All shots were current, the dog had an ID tag, they had paperwork that showed the shots were current. But had an expired Ohio dog tag. They were told to leave and were not refunded any of the other 3 days they paid for....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Holy cow, Jim! I think PA went way overboard enforcing that rule. They could've just given them a warning & told them to be sure tags & all were current before coming to PA SP's to camp again. I suppose they have to draw the line somewhere, but, yeesh.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think they were miffed over not getting the 3 days site fees back, after being kicked out. To this day, they have not visited a PA. park for that reason. They know now they make sure their dog tag is current....They said the ranger dude was overly aggressive and young, trying to make a name for himself....

PA State Parks over the last 3-4 years have been expanding parks allowing pets. I remember checking into Laurel Hill State Park east of Pittsburgh if pets would ever be allowed there. He said "pets will never be allowed in my park period". Well, I guess he never got the memo from Harrisburg. They now allow pets in the bottom loop at LH....as of 2 or 3 years ago.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like ,Don't ask don't tell and even if they ask ,Don't tell. I never volanteer anything. Nitwits with badges are just that. Penn also has everything listed for 30ft trailers. We stayed at Racoon Creek for two weeks and there was plenty of room for our 34ft MH and Toad. When I inquired, I was told they had no spaces for anthing over 30ft. When we got there the place was empty and there were plenty of spaces for 40ft MHs.
NEVER NEVER give a semi official too much information. It just confuses them and prompts them to make a stupid decision.
Peace and Love.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote