RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #1

Smile Pet fencing

Looking for pet fencing ideas to make it easier for my dogs to be at the campsite. I know they will want to be outside with us, but I donít like the leads bc of the tripping hazards. Biggest concern is for under the camper by the doors. Anyone have some good solutions? TIN.

ncylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #2

IIRC Campground Pet Rules require pets to be ON a leash/under direct owners control whenever outside

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I use folding exercise pens for my pups and carry a piece I
Of vinyl lattice to fit under the rig and around the step. I've never had anybody complain though I do not leave the dogs outside when I am not there
Old 12-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I also use the folding pet fences with a rubber mat with holes that I cut to fit under the steps and tie it to the sections of fence
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We park in the Arizona desert for 4-5 months each winter. I erect a 10’x20’ dog yard/patio using 3/4” metal EMT pipe, connectors, mesh tarps and ball bungees. Since Lily is a tiny Houdini I place 12” chicken wire around the perimeter of the yard, including the underside of the RV.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #6

I have this wood pet gates which I can fold and install whenever my pooch wants to play outside. It is spacious allowing him to play and at the same time, it creates a safe boundary.
joyjoy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #7

We have a metal pet fence with a gate that we got at Camping world. We put it around our camp fire. Our dogs love having some freedom
tundranurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #8

We had small sections of fencing for the two small dogs we had with us. We saw some other people who were using pet tent enclosures for their pets. Good idea if you have cats or small dogs. Would work well if there is mosquitos or pests in the area as well. The ones we saw had two small dogs in the tent. It was similar to this one. https://www.amazon.ca/Portable-Large...upplies&sr=1-9
One advantage is they fold down to quite small. The pet fencing we had took up most of a bay to store them.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #9

Chewy.com usually has the best prices for exercise pens. For under the door, I cut some plastic lattice to fit, and clip the pens to it.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I, also, have been using x-pens for years. For ease of access get at least one with a gate. I use two with gates and a few without gates.

I put down outdoor mats first https://www.walmart.com/ip/Patio-Mat...k-Key/46250176

I use the mats to keep my dogs clean. I have a 19' awning, so use one 9x12 in rain and add the second 9x12 when sunny. Gives the dogs a nice large area to stretch their legs. They are also very easy to keep clean, either sweeping or hosing down.

Then I put up my x-pens. I put a gate at each end. I prefer the black x-pens as they keep a low profile in camp and look good next to the coach. https://www.chewy.com/frisco-dog-exe...ough/dp/125049

I space pool noodles (or use pipe insulators, they already have a slit down the length) along the back so I can place the x-pen right up along the coach without worrying about any possibility of scratching my coach. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...1812/204760805

Behind the steps I use these clipped together and then the x-pens clip to each side of it. https://smile.amazon.com/Whitmor-Sto...gateway&sr=8-3

I like them because it is so flexible. If I park somewhere not completely level and there is a dip at the door, I can easily customize it to fit.

After 40 years of showing dogs and using x-pens I prefer the kind of clip below. It is easy on and easy off. Just pick the size that works for you.
https://smile.amazon.com/Lehigh-Stai...strial&sr=1-10

I hope this helps.
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:00 AM   #11

Pet fencing

We bought this pet fence from Campingworld. It seems to be durable & our dogs love it. I agree it does take up a lot of space, but well worth it. My husband puts it in the bed of our truck between the 5th wheel hitch and the back truck window, with no issues while traveling.

We bought additional panels, and set up a 8x10 fence at the door of the camper. My husband did have to make a custom panel for underneath the steps.

We also have seen someone with a plastic lattice fence with hinges and a gait. That was really a nice looking fence.

Catalog Item # 10451836H 36H Heavy-Duty Pet Fence
Old 03-14-2019, 08:03 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We have a couple different fences. One we bought on line (Chewy) is plastic, this fence goes against the RV and under stairs (easy to cut to fit and plastic less likely to scratch as much as metal). The second one we got on Amazon. It's metal - pretty heavy duty and has poles on each section that can go into the ground for added support. It also has nice doors we can exit and enter easily. We purchased 4 sets of this, so if we are lucky enough to get a decent site the dogs can have a a nice little yard. If the dogs are happy - we are happy. We add stability to it by bungy cording it portable tables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Joe fence.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	238029  
MaureenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:18 AM   #13

Weíve had the same fence for a couple years and love it. I love it when I donít have to walk my dogs in the early morning. My dogs also love laying around people watching.