Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #1

Pet Friendly Campgrounds

So I know with different search sites you can fairly easily determine if a campsite is pet friendly. From what I've read (please correct me if I'm wrong) most pet friendly sites welcome up to two pets and they require vaccination records.

For those who have been taking to the roads with pets, what percentage of campsites are pet friendly?

Has anyone noticed a regional difference in the amount of campgrounds that are pet friendly?

Any general tips regarding pet friendly campgrounds that a new RV'r might not think of?

Has anything surprised you regarding heading out with your pets?

Is there a favorite site for you to search for pet friendly campgrounds?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
RenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
HHg

We have traveled the US pretty extensively over the past 8-9 years. We always take our two pets and they are always accepted. Some parks do prohibit "dangerous breeds". I've seen some that also limit the number of pets to three. I'm one of those that always have my days scheduled to the mile and to the exact parks we stay in. I always make reservations and check about my pets prior to making a reservation. I try to leave nothing to chance 🤓 Now, there are occasions where Murphy's Law will bite me in the a$$....I then improvise !!

Thanks
Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #3

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

Check for interested CGs and then you can go to their website and check 'pet policy'

Most have 2 dog limit
Some have weights limits........20# and 45# are the two most common
Some have -no aggressive breeds- (Pit Bulls, Dobies, Rotties, Mastif, German Shepherds, etc) set by the CG's Insurance Carrier
Some have very strict rules and enforce them (We like those)
Some have rules and don't enforce (don't like)

We traveled FT for 7 yrs with our 70# Border Collie Mix.
When traveling with a pet.........plan ahead and then have Plan B
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #4

The "Aggressive breed" list can vary. We have always had a German Shepherd and sometimes this breed is allowed while others are prohibited. Checking a camping guide or campground website prevents surprises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

Check for interested CGs and then you can go to their website and check 'pet policy'

Most have 2 dog limit
Some have weights limits........20# and 45# are the two most common
Some have -no aggressive breeds- (Pit Bulls, Dobies, Rotties, Mastif, German Shepherds, etc) set by the CG's Insurance Carrier
Some have very strict rules and enforce them (We like those)
Some have rules and don't enforce (don't like)

We traveled FT for 7 yrs with our 70# Border Collie Mix.
When traveling with a pet.........plan ahead and then have Plan B
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #5

I've never seen a campground that didn't allow dogs in general, but most were leery of certain breeds. My 90 lb yellow lab was never refused entry anywhere.

If you're worried, don't read their rules, but call instead. Many times, the posted rules are very strict so that they can refuse troublemakers by just pointing to the rules.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #6

We rarely have a problem with campgrounds and pets. One East coast state park did require us to bring in our signed vets certification indicating our dog and cats were properly vaccinated to that state's requirements. They also required us to show registration and proof of insurance for the coach and toad! That was the first and only time we have had to do that in 30 years traveling with pets.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
The "Aggressive breed" list can vary. We have always had a German Shepherd and sometimes this breed is allowed while others are prohibited. Checking a camping guide or campground website prevents surprises.
I've got a German Shepherd too. Sometimes they don't list the "prohibited breed" list, so you have to ask. If you don't ask, you risk being thrown out for violating rules that were not posted. Ask me how I know.

If you're not on the "dangerous breed list" - I think you'll find that most places are pretty dog friendly as long as you're a responsible owner.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #8

After three years of travel, two years full time, I have not encountered a park that did not except our dog. Until recently we had two miniature schnauzers. When making a reservation DW allways tells them the size of coach, that we have a toad, and that we have two mimiture schnauzers. If the park knows you have a dog they will sometimes ask if you want to be near the dog park or other open areas.
As mentimed, there are parks that limit the number of dogs or restrict so called (which I don't agree with) aggressive breeds.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #9

Thanks, everyone. This makes me feel better that it isn't something I'll need to be greatly concerned about when looking for a campground. It sounds like a small dog isn't going to be an issue.

This does bring up another question. How many RV parks have off leash areas for dogs? To be clear, I don't mean off leash everywhere, but a devoted, fenced in "dog park".
Old 04-08-2016, 05:17 AM   #10

In our experience, I would guess maybe 25% of the private parks we visited have fenced in dog areas. Maybe 50% will have designated pet areas for their pooping pleasure. Once we ran into VERY strict park where the walk to the designated dog relief area was several city blocks away. We were warned that if our dog peed somewhere between the coach and designated area we would be required to pour "at least a gallon of water on the spot".
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:23 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We have never encountered a RV park that did not accept most breeds of dogs. We have begun seeing RV parks that charge an additional fee for pets. ???

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:45 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
If you're worried, don't read their rules, but call instead. Many times, the posted rules are very strict so that they can refuse troublemakers by just pointing to the rules.
Yes do call. We stayed at one CG that had a 50lb limit. I called and told them ours was closer to 70 but she would not hurt a thing and almost never barks. They said "if anyone asks, tell them she weighs 49lbs". It was a nice park and we had a great time there. Glad I called.

Fenced in dog park in the CG we find in the minority. Here is one that is all about dogs Four Paws Kingdom - The best kept secret for Camping with your Dog! Some sites have an enclosed deck and small fenced in area of your own. They have a bunch of fenced in areas. Big dog, small dog, agility and one that you can hang out a sign to come on in or have it to yourself.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenW View Post
Thanks, everyone.......

This does bring up another question. How many RV parks have off leash areas for dogs? To be clear, I don't mean off leash everywhere, but a devoted, fenced in "dog park".
The majority of private parks have dog runs. As far as off leash areas a lot depends on how well the dog responds to commands. We have stayed in many parks that have large undeveloped area or large open areas away from the main camping area. We often would take our dogs there to run them off leash and never had a problem. Our dogs responded well to both verbal and hand signals, non ages sieve, and very kid friendly.
There are also many beach communities where dogs are allowed off leash on the beach during designated times.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post

Fenced in dog park in the CG we find in the minority. Here is one that is all about dogs Four Paws Kingdom - The best kept secret for Camping with your Dog! Some sites have an enclosed deck and small fenced in area of your own. They have a bunch of fenced in areas. Big dog, small dog, agility and one that you can hang out a sign to come on in or have it to yourself.
Wow, that place looks great! Too bad we aren't going through North Carolina on our next trip.

From what people are saying, there appears to be some campsites that are more "pets allowed" while there are others that are much more "pet friendly". I wish there was an easy way to determine between the two. Giving a call ahead is a good idea, but we are going to be staying at A LOT of different campgrounds on our next trip.

Tags
campground