Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Just want to take a straw vote on how many of you travel with pets,... dogs, cats, birds, monkeys o
I do NOT travel with a pet. 42 10.17%
I travel with ONE pet. 196 47.46%
I travel with TWO pets. 126 30.51%
I travel with THREE or MORE pets. 49 11.86%
Voters: 413. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2005, 07:47 PM   #43

Our RV owner has several photos shown here. Just look for the white furry creature.

Zara
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2005, 03:46 AM   #44

Thanks for the photo link. AK is on my priority list of where tos - for May, since I garden.

The white furry soul has real soul!!!!

Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 05:11 AM   #45

We basically bought our RV trailer because of travelling FOR the dogs.....we breed and raise JRT's (jack Russell Terrier's), and attend lots of JRT shows. I also have almost all of the equipment for a JRT trial, and it ofeten goes with us (including all the equipment for an agility ring.) Packing has had to become more of an 'art' for us.

Travelling can be anywhere from 4 dogs (our core group) to 9(?) I think was our maximum....it varies also because we do a lot of rescue work as well, often fostering and transporting dogs in our travels. (We have two foster dogs right now.)

Mark
greywynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:35 PM   #46

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Well until now we have traveled petless. But Nancy got maternal feelings (duh) so now we have a 6 month old kitten. We will be leaving next week for Texas and not returning home until late March so we will see how it goes. 2,ooo miles is a long drive with a cat meowing the whole time.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:01 PM   #47

My suggestions are: to get your little Kitty a small kitty cage with soft sides while traveling. Also, a little covered kitty bed. They feel secure in these things and mostly won't cry or meow. For both of these items, get a pillow case to cover the mattresses. Then put a pinch (a very small pinch)of "Catnip" in the underside of the pillow case, under the mattress. This will train your kitty to sleep and stay happily in his or her areas.
Also, another suggestion, and very important, is to make sure that all openings are closed off. For example, if there is a slide, make sure there are no small openings that he or she can crawl under or into. Also, block off under the driver's and passenger seats. I use large towels or pillows depending on the size of the openings. I also use a kiddie gate between the cab and the house. Make sure all closets are closed tightly because they can get up inside where we would have to disassemble the back of the cabinet to get her out. I learned by experience. The only way we could find our kitty was our Brittany found him when I tell her to find her kitty. She stands by the area and gives a little cry or squeak.
I hope this all helps you and helps to make your travel a real pleasure.
Toni
tonigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:05 PM   #48

We travel with a spoiled little black cat named Salem & her personal play toy a 45# minature Aussie Shepherd named Sterling and occasionally an 11 yr old cat that reluctantly comes along when were gone for longer trips.
Distant-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:38 PM   #49

three shelties here.............who always watch to see that i eat everything on my plate. Like mommy told me to.

a 12yr old male ...6 yr old female (agility masters chanpion)...15 month female
gordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:31 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sure glad to see a lot of folks with the pets. They can be a pain, especially whe it rains or is very cold...they have to go out no matter what.

Right now, we are living in our trailer and have to walk them several time each day...I need the exercise any way. But I sure get ticked at some of the others here that do not put the animals on a leash nor do they pick up after the dog. I offered one a poop baggie the other day and he looked at me like I was from Mars.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Our Dash Dog. Sam our 90lb Chocolate Lab.

MikeCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:56 AM   #52

OMG, what the pictures!

Being the owner of two 70 lb. chocolate Chesapeake Bay Retrievers now and having owned a 90 lb male and later a 100 lb male, I have no problem picturing the real size of your Lab. I see he's got a gray muzzle.

My oldest girl started getting a ghoti at age 5.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:34 AM   #53

One cat.

I have a question. We are about to swap our Class A with generator for a fifth wheel with no generator.

Worried about leaving pet in rig at campground in hot weather, while we are off sightseeing. Not exeprienced enough to know if electricity at campgrounds ever fail. Do not want pet to bake.

Am I being overly concerned? Thank you
begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:53 AM   #54

not sure how the loss of your generator figures in this.

if you left the cat before,,,,,did you always start the gen to ensure A/C
gordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:56 AM   #55

I can only say that I feel more secure knowing that I have the generator for my 2 furry friends. We travel in a class C and I feel when we stop while traveling, it is a must. We do travel in the South West a lot. I like it when we stop that our furry friends are cool in the summer and warm in the winter. At campgrounds, I usually don't worry about it. But, we take our home with us when we leave to tour. While traveling and boondocking it is a necessity. Just another thought.....what if you break down on the road what would you do with your furry friends?
I am very cautious. We can never be overly concerned for our babies. My opinion.
Toni
tonigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:27 AM   #56

You do not give your location or where you will be travelling, or what the outside temperatures will be when you are travelling.

Also, it might be useful to know the type of fury friends you have.

Ventillation is the most important thing for any pet.

My camper has a Flettner vent, this has a rotor that turns with the slightest of breeze and draws air into the camper. One of my Chesapeake Bay Retrievers travels there. I also leave a window open to help the breeze.

The other of my Chessies rides in the truck. She gets about 4" of window open on both sides of the truck. I have just a regular cab. This is good to 38'C/100'F outside. But you see I don't think I'd go south of Pennsyslvania in the summer time.

So, check the breed vitality, check the mechanical ventilation in your rig. Consider taking them with you in the truck that pulls your 5er. & above all, make sure the fury dears have been acclimatized. My little (32kg/70lb) girls spend a lot of time outside winter and summer. They prefer it.