Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #1

Pet 'yards' on the road

We travel with our 6 year old Pug, Hannah. I have seen several pictures of camp sites here that show a small fenced area for the fur-kids. My questions is (and I'm asking because I couldn't find a picture that showed it) how do you close off the area under the RV? We have a double length of x-pen, but that isn't near enough to do a full rectangle.........and then what do you do about the stairs? Hannah could run under the MH without even ducking. We would just like to do something so that if our Hannah were to decide to get out the door, she wouldn't get far.........and to have enough room to stretch her legs while Mom and Dad are cooking, or chillin' in the lawn chairs, and to be able to go in and out without a leash tangled around our ankles. Any and all ideas will be respectfully considered and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
MoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
My first thought is for a short (2' tall) X-pen to run the length of the rig to keep Hannah from getting under the rig...and to attach your other two X-Pens to make the rest of the "play yard" . You would need to take the clips that come with the X-Pens to connect the one side ot the larger X-Pen to the rig ... maybe to a storage door. (I would also suggest putting one of the pieces of foam wrap along the X-Pen edge that would be next to rig so that the rig does not get scratched.) The section under the steps will be your problem -which means you would need to find something else to block off that area.

I don't know if I have explained this well enough that you understand...but it seems to work in my head...
Good Luck finding a solution that works for you...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you visit a "Home Improvement" store like Lowes or Home Depot they have some very nice plastic "lattace" fence. Not all that cheap but very easy to work with.. I have a cat-pen I bult for my fur-kiddies/kitties and we used it the first year.

Now, the one I built of course has a "lid" since cats are climibers, and it can attach to the wall in the motor home (I simply leave one wall off) fiting over the dining room table giving them room to play a bit but still be safe.. Being plastic it absorbes some energy should I stand on the brakes and they go flying unexpectedly. The only problem is wine, or, rather whine, from the wife about how much trouble it is (So we dont' carry it less we are taking the rig in for service,, It also pens the kitties while the rig is in the shop)

Add the rear wall and it's a cat pen for outside too.. Though our cats are leash trained.

IN your case... What I'd suggest is that you get some of this fence and cut it to fit under the rig.. now,, since your rig's height changes you will need to use two sections of fence one over the other, You can use assorted means to "hook" it to the bottom of the motor home behind the steps.. Hook & Eye, or just plain bungie cord will do nicely. or hang it from hooks (or install hooks on the top section that hang onto the rig) you will need to devise a "Slide" (I can design if you need me to)

I used hinges to connect the sides, the kind with removable pins, and used clutch pins to replace the original hinge pins.

Comes appart and goes together very fast.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #4

Thanks so much for the ideas.........We're going to Lowe's tomorrow to see what we can find. I just know we don't want Hannah to have to 'live' on a leash.......especially since she has to wear a full halter instead of a little collar. And, we can't imagine travelling without her. We're hoping to include Jack (our cat) in our travels too, though so far he has stayed home with a sitter. I know he would love the big front window of the MH when we are parked. I'm just not sure about the 'going down the road' part. He HATES his very short trip in a crate to the vets. (You should hear him 'sing'!) I'm thinking about making him a hidey-hole under one of the beds, though. Just a round hole in the side of the base of it with some sort of trim to prevent splinters.......sounds like a good place for the litter box, too. Easy to get to, for us and him, but Pug proof!
I tried to put a picture of Hannah and Jack here but haven't figured out how, I guess, as I just got a grey box. I WILL try again. I bet I will find instructions somewhere, won't I?
Thanks again!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRV View Post
I tried to put a picture of Hannah and Jack here but haven't figured out how, I guess, as I just got a grey box. I WILL try again. I bet I will find instructions somewhere, won't I?
Thanks again!
Go to post #7 in this thread. Janet explains all about how to put a photo in your post.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Go to post #7 in this thread. Janet explains all about how to put a photo in your post.

Lori-

Thank you! I went over and read the instructions......now I just need to digest the information. I might just have to wait for one of the kids to come over, read the post and show me.....they're all experts at anything 'computer'. LOL

Thanks again, though!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRV View Post
Thank you! I went over and read the instructions......now I just need to digest the information. I might just have to wait for one of the kids to come over, read the post and show me.....they're all experts at anything 'computer'. LOL

Thanks again, though!
MoRV..Send me your phone number in a PM. I may call you and walk you through the different ways...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing about dog people, we can come up with some interesting ways to make life easier on their fur-kids.

I agree with MM, measure your rig from the bottom of the basement, to the ground. You want an xpen that will cover that space.

You can buy 18" and 24" xpens, depending on what you need. Run that along the length of your rig. Like MM said, I would definately run the thin pipe insulation along the top to protect your paint job.

Attach your regular xpen to the end of the short one along your rig.

Now for your stairs. What you can do depends on the stairs and what you can fit behind them. You want, whatever it is, to be as close to the bottom of the basement as possible. If your small xpen will work, put that behind your steps and then connect the end, on the other side of the steps (front of the coach) to the end of your big xpen. Essentially you are making a big rectangle with the pens, along the bottom of the coach, to your existing pens.

If the section, behind the stairs, would not allow an 18 or 24" xpen, let me know the measurement and I can give you some other suggestions.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #9

You all are GREAT! It's too late tonight, but tomorrow I will measure the height/clearance, etc behind the stairs and post it. They are the self-retracting kind, but when we are parked I'm sure we will have them set to stay out.
It actually won't take too much as Hannah is not the exploratory type......in fact the other day she was in the bedroom and woo-hoo'd at me. When I looked down the hallway to see what was wrong I noticed a flattened box that the DH had just set outside of one of the bedrooms. It was just laying there and she could have stepped over it, onto it, around it, etc. But, no.....she needed it moved from her path entirely before she would come down the hall. On the other hand, though, before we got the fence installed, if anyone opened the door, she was out like a shot (she didn't make it but once as we made sure someone had her BEFORE the door was opened). Since the fence.......she has no interest in the door, open or closed, unless she NEEDS out.

MonacoMama I am sending you a PM (assuming I can figure out how to do THAT! LOL)

PS I wish we had some pup smilies.....
Old 03-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am a MAJOR visual person and I found a photo to show what I am talking about. Now this is a custom rig, not talking about getting that, just showing you the idea of it.
PortaFence

Scroll down to the 5th row and see the "skirt". You can do the same thing alot less expensive These are beautiful but I do not have $3500.

If you keep scrolling, you will see the 36" model. Again, very nice, I just can not afford it.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #11

PNWGirl....YES! Those do look perfect......of course an 18 pound Pug probably wouldn't need the same one as the Ridgebacks! Her x-pen is only 24 or 30" tall, anyway. But the way that fits under the edge of the MH looks great. I think I might try to do that same thing with the plastic fencing from Lowe's, and maybe a little PVC...........surely I can come in under $3500? If I could find instructions it would be a great project for the DH.

THANK YOU!!!EVERYONE!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #12

A HUGE thank you to MonacoMama

Thanks to her 'step by baby step cause I'm so computer illiterate' instructions you can now enjoy pictures of our fur babies! Woo-Hoo!

This is Hannah. She is 6 years old and the apple of her Mama and Daddy's eye. (She doesn't actually have blue eyes - that's a result of my poor photo taking abilities.) She is a tiny thing at only 18 pounds, and we affectionately call her our little Sausage. She has already made several trips with us and is a very good traveler.

And, this is Jack. Yes, that is our Christmas tree. We actually had to leave it up several weeks AFTER we un-decorated it because he was having so much fun. He is so heavy that he kept bending the branches down and sliding off. But he got right back up there and tried valiantly to reach the top. (He never did.)

Well, I'm off to play with photos and practice my new-found skill!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rick, this is a simple process that takes us about five minutes to set up for our little ones. First and most important, I level the motorhome jacks first, then I lock the the steps. I made a 1/4" board for the steps with a notch cut on each side so it will slide under the steps. I used a piece of cardboard in the beginning for a pattern, believe me it took several try's. This way the board covers under the steps as well as on each side. We have four(4) set's of pins, 2' X 2' X 16', meaning there are 8 panels, all together makes a really nice yard for the pup's. The board @ the steps has two small hole's on each side, one @ top, and one @ the bottom. I simply use wire ties to attach the fence on each side of the board, and you can make your yard anyway you want it. The door stays open, and they go in & out as necessary. This makes it really nice in the morning for potty time, I simply open the front door and out they go, now after 4 years they look forward to it. Hope I have not confused you with this, but we sure get a lot of compliments on our yard wherever we go. Good luck, happy trails & travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #14

David G sounds like you've got a nice set-up for the 'kids'. Do you have a picture of it? I'd love to see it. How do YOU get in and out of it? (I know @ 24" we should be able to just step over easily, but DW is height challenged (only 5')......LOL)

Thanks.