Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #1

pets crossing border with no rabies shots

Our indoor cat has had rabies shots all his life but now we have decided it to be unnecessary except for crossing the border.

My question is. when crossing the border from Canada to the USA what will they do if we do not provide proof of the rabies shots. Do we get turned back or ( thinking I read this somewhere) do they require that we get the rabies shot performed asap in the USA and let us proceed?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #2

Turn you back quaranteen the animal.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #3

Crossed this summer & the US Customs inspector could care less that we had a cat. No paper work was asked for. My brother who has 2 dogs offered his papers but the inspector said the only time he gets concerned about animals is when they try & bite him.

Canadian inspector never asked if we had an animal & never came in the coach.

My suggestion is to get a certificate from your vet showing their vaccinations & health status.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Turn you back quaranteen the animal.

Have you heard of this happening or is this just your guess?

Where would the animal go into quarantine? at the border? and if so why would they send us back? I'm not lying to anyone. If they ask about our cat I will tell him that he does not have his shots and comply with what ever they say.

I have crossed the border many years with pets, some ask some don't ask some don't care . I'm sure a cat will be of no concern but sometimes you get a border agent who likes to work the letter of the law. Now if that letter of the law is that we would be forced to vaccinate our cat then so be it. So if anyone has experience with this or has read something please share because I cant get anything from googling.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #5

Hey Monacoach, I'm a licensed veterinarian. I would suggest that you call your veterinarian and talk with him/her about the requirements for a cat to enter Canada. You may need an international health certificate, but you won't know unless you have a veterinarian check with current Canadian requirements. and you are right, some border agents don't care, others want the letter of the law.

I doubt that the cat would be quarantined, that may happen if the cat should bite someone and is not vaccinated. If it is a matter of the boarder agent looking for proof of vaccination and a health certificate and you wouldn't have them, you may be denied passage until you get a vaccination and certificate. when I was practicing, I always would tell people what the requirements are, it's then up to the owner if they wish to comply with my recommendations.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #6

Here you go
Import requirements

Cats may enter Canada if they are accompanied by:
  • a rabies vaccination certificate.
The rabies vaccination certificate must:
  • be written in English or French;
  • be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;
  • identify the animal (as in breed, colour, and weight);
  • state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies;
  • indicate the date of vaccination;
  • indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and
  • specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).
Additional Information

Canada does not require a waiting period between the time the animal is vaccinated for rabies and the time the animal is imported into Canada.
If the cat does not meet the import requirements relating to rabies certification, owners will be required, at their own expense, to do the following:
  • have the animal vaccinated against rabies within a specified period of time; and
  • provide the vaccination record to a Canadian Food Inspection Agency office.
This is from About.com: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/imp/petani/petanie.shtml
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Just my thought but isn't giving a cat (or dog) vaccinations sort of like normal routine "maintenance" for the protection of the animal? We have crossed the Canada border several times with cats and dogs but have never done so without the vaccination papers and often a letter from the vet certifying the animals are healthy. The papers have never been asked for but is it worth it to take a chance on a possible border hassle?
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Why take the chance. Just have the cat vaccinated.

If cost is an issue, call the local SPCA and they can tell you about low cost vaccinations.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #9

Quote:
If the cat does not meet the import requirements relating to rabies certification, owners will be required, at their own expense, to do the following:
  • have the animal vaccinated against rabies within a specified period of time; and
This is what I was looking for. I knew I read something like this somewhere. I am going to assume the USA would have similar guidelines.

the ones who mentioned that I would be refused entry to the Country, I can only assume you were guessing this to be the case as Jzick has shown me what appears to be from the border website.

we have had our dog and cat for 15.5 and 13 years respectively and have always been up to date with their shots. We are putting our dog down next week and don't see the need to protect an indoor cat from rabies.

thanks for the replies.....
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #10

One other little point. Our cat has vet phobia.... he is so traumatized by the visit that he lashes out violently at our poor vet... they have to put a towel over his head to give him his shots and he loses control of his bowels on the table....... not going to put our cat through this ordeal unless absolutely necessary....
Old 12-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm sorry you are putting your dog down. I cannot imagine what that will be like when the time comes for us.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #12

We have been asked about furbutt once, the border guard wanted to know the little charmers name Her shots are up to date for her protection but it has never been an issue. Still, better safe than sorry.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #13

Quote:
I'm sorry you are putting your dog down. I cannot imagine what that will be like when the time comes for us.
Thankyou. I have always heard that it is the toughest thing to do and I can tell you that its true. Its sad watching your pet deteriorate and it will be tough to watch him be put down.

now back to the cat......... I wonder if there is a way to comply with the rabies rule without taking him to a vet hmmmmmmm ........ godda go do some googling now.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
Here you go
Import requirements

Cats may enter Canada if they are accompanied by:
  • a rabies vaccination certificate.
The rabies vaccination certificate must:
  • be written in English or French;
  • be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;
  • identify the animal (as in breed, colour, and weight);
  • state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies;
  • indicate the date of vaccination;
  • indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and
  • specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).
Additional Information

Canada does not require a waiting period between the time the animal is vaccinated for rabies and the time the animal is imported into Canada.
This is from About.com: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/imp/petani/petanie.shtml
That appears to be for importing the cat into Canada for permanent residency, I think the OP was asking about temporarily while traveling in Canada.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote