Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #1

Pets help getting on bed

I purchased a small step from camping world that was to help our small dog get on the bed. I set it up one time and it fell apart, it was junk! Can anybody help with any ideas or products you use?

Tom

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Tom,
You may want to check with pet smart or petco.We purchased a curved ramp with carpet on it that works great for our 2 little doxies.It is made of a durable plastic it is about 18 inches wide and 20 inches tall.Hope this helps.Safe travels.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Come to think of it we have a plastic or molded step stool in our closet which for your purpose would be indestructible. It cost about ten twelve bucks at Lowes or Home Depot places that carry step stools. I don't know why it would not work and serve double duty.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We have a small regular foot stool we place at the foot of the bed. We bought it for the usual reason you'd want a foot stool (the dogs didn't commandeer it until much later) a few decades ago, at a local art fair. Solidly made out of oak and obviously durable fabric covering - it shows no wear after what has to be 25 years of use.

They probably don't need steps all the way from the floor to the top of the mattress, just something to cut the distance to something they can comfortably jump, with a surface on which their paws can get a grip.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:42 AM   #5

I made two ramps. One is for the couch and the other one is for the bed. The one for the couch is using one of plastic side panels for her pen with a bath mat on top of it. The other one for the bed (which is 30" tall) I used a piece of 20" pantry wire shelving with a 12" piece zip stripped to it. It is covered by two bath mats. They both have a step stool I made for the DW to help her get in the bed. The bedroom ramp also has a middle step which has the shelving tied to. This middle step is a cage we bought that Sophie grew out of. Sophie runs up both of them very quickly. She will get up during the night to go potty and runs right back up again. I will get some picks today to post.

I don't have the space to build something like this in our motorhome, so I ordered a set of steps for it. Here is the link for it. I hope it holds up.

Amazon.com: Solvit PupSTEP for Pets, Plus X-Large: Pet Supplies
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last Black Friday I was on the road.. So on Thrusday I passed by a Wal*Mart hoping to stop for the night and found the place mobbed (Black Friday sales started Thursday EVE).. Found a supermarket closed for the night Slept, Next AM found another Wal-Mart about 10 feet off my route (Meaning I was traveling the road it was on, 10' (Well 50 feet) is getting off the road and into the parking lot). and at 7:30 the employees outnumbered the customers of which I was one,, Got a nice little SINGER sewing machine (Well they call it a "Mending Machine") which very quickly paid for iteself doing a few much needed wardrobe repairs.

That, and an empty corrorgated paper (What most folks call, improperly, cardboard) and a pillow sit in the "Notch" beside one side of the bed,, Kitty #1 uses it often to get on/off the bed Kitty #2 preferrs to jump up/down direct from the floor, but then #2 is much bigger and can put front paws on bed with rear on floor. He is very friendly.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #7

Ramps

Here are the two ramps I have made for Sophie to get on the couch and bed. She flies up and down the one for the couch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sophie 4-14 (1).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	61842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sophie 4-14 (2).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	61843  

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote