Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #575

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Like most who post here, I've had many furry companions over my lifetime. At one time about eight years ago, we had seven cats and three dogs living under our roof. My wife and I found ourselves empty nesters at a relatively young age and we overcompensated by taking in strays and rescues. Overachieved, we did.

Each of our pets is/was unique, and all of them touched my soul and made me a better person. Last evening I said good-bye to one for the ages. His name was Oscar and he turned this confirmed dog-guy into a cat-guy for life.

Oscar showed up in our backyard in October 2007. He was emaciated, and I was certain he had only hours left on this earth. He was literally nothing more than skin and bones. We took him in and gave him food and a warm place to camp for the night. The following day my wife and I took him to our vet, fully expecting he would not make the return trip home. Our vet couldn't find anything wrong with him, but was puzzled as to why he was so skinny. She sent him back home with us and we continued to nurse him back to health.

To our delight, our efforts began to pay off. He went from five to fifteen pounds within six months. Here's a picture of Oscar at his healthiest weight about six months after he adopted us.

Oscar was somewhat skittish at first, but he seemed to favor me and he and I became best buddies. He had so many endearing traits, everyone just fell in love with him. Everything about this guy was pure goodness.

We didn't know for sure how old he was when he showed up, but the vet said he was not a young cat. She guessed he was somewhere between 7 and 10 years at the time. He blessed us for nearly nine years, so he had to be somewhere in the 15-20 range at the end.

We got a scare about 3-4 years ago. Oscar began limping, lost his appetite, and became very lethargic. I was convinced he was again at death's door, so we took him to the vet prepared for the worst. As it turned out, he had an abscess that went inward instead of outward towards the skin. The vet performed surgery to get rid of it, and it made Oscar a new cat nearly immediately. I remember the acute sense of joy and relief in the vet's office that day. I was not ready to lose my little man.

I noticed changes in Oscar in March of this year. He began losing weight and just wasn't acting himself. We took him to the vet in April and got the news that he was beginning a process that had only one outcome and we should make him as comfortable as possible. The vet said it could be a long process.

The end came yesterday. Given all he had been through, I just assumed he would be around forever. Instead, I found myself burying my little buddy in a steady rain.

My wife and I console ourselves by saying we gave him a great life for nearly 9 years, and we gave him the ability to live to be a very old cat. That's true, but what is more true is he gave us more in those years than we ever gave him. Oscar was a one-off, never to be replicated or replaced. Short of Mom and Dad, I will miss him as much as I have missed anything or anyone that I had the good fortune to know.

Farewell and thank you, my little man. Words cannot describe the emptiness in our household without you. I will NEVER forget you.

What a beautiful and loving tribute to Oscar. I am so so so sorry for your loss, I KNOW the pain and grief so well. It is like an old hand that grabs me at these times and I have no words of comfort other than the wonderful life you gave him, your attention and love made Oscar the home of envy for all little babies.

What a glorious and wonderful feeling it is to provide such stability, strenght, love and dedication for our furry babies, but oh the horror of the loss of losing them is overwhelming. All I can say is Bless YOU and cherish the memories...time doesn't heal the loss, only modifies it from pain and suffering into a sad memory, but it also allows you to spark the memories of his wonderful, loved, advantaged, and fun life.

My heart is heavy with you both. God Bless you and keep you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #576

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you so much for those kind words, Lincolnboy2. You captured it perfectly.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #577

Tiffin Owners Club
USMCRET...

I am truly sorry for your loss. Having been thru very similar circumstances multiple times, I had tears of sadness as I read your post.

Blessings to both you and your wife.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:29 AM   #578

Your cat looks just like our "Miss Kitty" She came up to my in-laws door, and they fed her on the back porch. eventually, they moved into our town. After mom and dad passed, Miss Kitty came to live with us. That cat never jumped up on the tables, counters or got into anything she wasn't supposed to. Vet said she was over ten and I supposed she was around eighteen when we found her "sleeping" on the front porch. She was her regular ole self when I left for work, and I recon she just layed down and died in her sleep. I feel your pain, because Those critters have a way of worming their way right into your heart.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #579

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oscar looked a lot like our late cat Siren, whom we lost last September. Cherish the memories!
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #580

This is a sad thread. I know we have this coming as well, but I can't think about it. My wife had never had so much as a pet rock, and she is 100% in love with Tobi. He is a cock-a-poo that has become such a part of our family.

My condolences to any and all that have had to go through losing a "pet". I have had to do it twice, and still went back for more.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:03 AM   #581

Tiffin Owners Club
I received this sentiment in a card several years ago, it is so true:

‎"It came to me that every time I lose an animal, they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new animal who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart, will be animal and I will become as generous and loving as they are."

It's the hardest part of sharing our lives with our pets...and absolutely one of the worst parts of rescuing. God bless all the hearts .......
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:49 AM   #582

Fleetwood Owners Club
Amen. Our original ancestors of the planet believe as we pass into the other side, crossing a foot bridge, we will come in contact with every animal in our life we've known or been exposed to. Each will pass scruntinty upon our entry.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #583

goodbye my friend

Said goodbye to my best friend today. I live out in the country and have lost a lot of different animals in the past, but Panama was my buddy. My daughter bought him for herself 15 years ago but he bonded to me so much that when she moved to her own place she couldn't separate us. When I was in a motorcycle accident and recovering at home the only time he would leave my side was to go to the bathroom. Hope to see ya on the other side.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #584

Sorry for your loss, sounds like he lived a good long life.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #585
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
So sorry for the loss of your friend!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #586

Sorry for your loss. I know that's a pain that can not be easily comforted. My prayers are with you and yours.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #587

Tiffin Owners Club
It is so heartbreaking to lose a loyal friend. I would bet that he is there with you, but is unseen. God Bless, I hope your heart heals quickly. There is a petloss group that has a candle lighting ceremony every Monday night when you are ready.... Rainbow Bridge, Pet Loss Grief Support, Monday Candle Ceremony
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #588

We had to say goodbye to one of ours in late April. Angus, a yellow Lab, was had just passed the 12-year old milestone in February. He survived a splenectomy in December, then developed a big tumor on his spine, just forward of his hips, in April. It was inoperable and seized up both back legs and his tail.

Tags
dog, service