Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2019, 05:47 AM   #1

Recommendation for dog food

Hello everyone. I am going to take my dog to a vacation with me. What kind of food should I take with me? Should it be a regular food or anything special as the road is long? Your advices will be very useful to me! I am reading pet food reviews but still need your opinion. Thank you very much!
jeffreyfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2019, 05:49 AM   #2

We always took with us what they ate at home. Nothing different since you don't want a dog with a messed up digestive system in an RV.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:57 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
We always took with us what they ate at home. Nothing different since you don't want a dog with a messed up digestive system in an RV.

Ours are fed dry food so we have an air tight container, holds 30#, in cargo basement and fill a tupperware container to carry inside the motor home.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyfell View Post
Hello everyone. I am going to take my dog to a vacation with me. What kind of food should I take with me? Should it be a regular food or anything special as the road is long? Your advices will be very useful to me! I am reading pet food reviews but still need your opinion. Thank you very much!
Whatever they feed Greyhounds. They go long distances.
Lynn
Old 07-03-2019, 06:13 AM   #5

We feed our dogs dry food at home and take the same food with us when on the road. Same treats as well. You don't want to change the diet when traveling.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:43 AM   #6

No change in diet on the road. We have our two greys and have the large container in the toad along with extra canned. Inside we have two smaller containers that also serve as risers for their bowls.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I always used this site to find premium dog foods. Dog Food Reviews - Dry Dog Foods - Powered by ReviewPost

Over the years, I used Canidae then switched to Taste-Of-Wild (TOW) for a time, which was easier to find (closer to home). Then lastly we switched to Blue Wilderness. These were all rated 5 star or better (if the ratings website is to be believed).

We wanted a high quality dog food that was affordable and could be bought close to home. We were going through 50 or 60 pounds a month with multiple Dobermans. The last of the Dobbies past away in January. We then adopted two smaller breed dogs (to travel with).

So when I took my new rescue dogs to the Vet, we talked about the food I was using and he didn't like the TOW or Blue brands. I guess there were some problems or recalls recently - and he recommend "Purina Pro". He sells the expensive Royal Canin line, when needed for specific problems (so no financial gain for him to recommend Purina). He says the Purina Pro is a good dog food.

So we put the new dogs on the Purina. And it's easy to find and cheaper than the other brands I was using (but not by much).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Agree

We agree with keeping the dogs on a regular food, regular treats and, as close as possible, regular feeding times.
We too, used Canidae dog food with our boxers. After the two of them passed, we adopted another rescue boxer. We started her with Purina One lamb and rice, but she didn’t seem to like it much. So we changed to Purina One smart blend salmon and tuna and she liked it a lot. Then our local store stopped carrying it in the 6.8kg (15 lb) bag. So we switched her to Purina Beneful salmon with sweet potato, green beans etc. and she loves that too.
The seafood aspect is high in protein and is good for her coat. She digests it easily.

Gotta love Boxers!

Cheers

DJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	114B2E39-A475-40B8-BC77-51523EBEB20E.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	252942  
Old 08-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #9

Blue Buffalo Salmon and Sweet Potatoe. Smart Bones treats. (Vegetable based). Mother Hubbard bakes peanut butter treats. All available from Chewy.com. [emoji106][emoji41]
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:34 AM   #10

No reason to change food on the road, and changes can sometimes have unfortunate side effects. If you're leaning toward one of the grain free choices, read up on DCM and how grain-free has contributed to that fatal affliction.

I use Purina Pro Plan. It's a decent food, but more importantly it can be found all over the US and Canada. Starting one month before departure and continuing for the duration of the trip, I supplement it with a probiotic powder. Probably not necessary, but IMO a healthy gut is less susceptible to microbes my dog might ingest on our adventures.

Pete and Glenlivet
Glenlivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #11

I've never heard a reason that I considered compelling for rotating my dog's food ... until recently. Now we're mixing things up. Find out what changed my mind.
frankgibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #12

We feed ours Fromm dry in the morning and Honest kitchen for dinner.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote